Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I've just watched 'Blanche Fury' with Stewart Granger (originally I typed 'Stewrat', which seems appropriate given the character he plays) and Valerie Hobson. Very enjoyable. Can anyone suggest where it was filmed? In particular, is the Elizabethan or Jacobean house that stands in for Clare Hall real or a painted backdrop? It looks genuine enough; if so, where is it? Also, are the interior scenes in the house or (more likely) a studio set?

Many thanks for your help.

Liked
    0 times
    The house that stood in for Clare Hall was Wootton Lodge, situated near Ellastone on the Staffordshire / Derbyshire border. The scenes looking down on it, as it is seen rising up from a ring of trees was filmed on the nearby Weaver Hills. I believe the house is now owned by Sir Anthony Bamford, of JCB fame and that he uses it to entertain important guests and clients.

You can't see it from the Weaver Hills now, though, as the trees around it have, in the past 58 years, grown taller and obscure it from view.

At the time of filming in 1947 (the year I was born), the house was the home of Brigadier General Sir Hill Child.

When I last went near it a few years ago, all the entrances to it bore signs that read: Private Property. Keep Out.

Blanche Fury is a favourite film of mine and I made it my business to find out just where "Clare Hall" was actually located.

Liked
    0 times
    I watched this film yesterday as well and was wondering about the locations myself. Thanks David. The interiors were fab as well.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks very much for identifying Wootoon Lodge in Staffordshire. I've done a quick search for the house and it seems that although the house is in private hands and the interior is unreachable, there are public footpaths from which one can get pretty good views. See eg a website called Strolling through Staffordshire, which has a good picture.

The standard architectural guide to the county, by Pevsner, says that there's nothing original in the interior, so presumably that answers my question about the interior scenes - they must have been done in the studio by a knowledgeable art director (afraid I can't remember his or her name).

I must try to catch a glimpse of the house if I'm ever in the area.

Thanks again for such a prompt and informative reply to my question.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure whether the interiors of Wootton Lodge would have been of the original layout nearly sixty years ago when the film was made. But they probably still were and some interiors may well have been shot in there. Thanks for the info about the website Strolling Through Staffordshire. I've just been on there and seen the nice photo of Wootton Lodge as it is today and saved it to my hard drive.

Liked
    0 times
    It's my belief that some stock footage of the exterior of Antony House in Cornwall was used for some of the exteriors. I can't prove this, but in all the years I lived in Staffs, I don't recall seeing many buildings constructed of silver-grey stone! Try googling 'Antony House' to see if you recognise it.

Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The film "Blanche Fury" has just been re-shown today on TV and I also was interested in the 'Claire House' location.

A couple of websites (see Photographs of Wootton Lodge, Staffordshire, England, UK for photo) about Staffordshire have pictures of the house and as I only watched the film about five hours ago I can confirm it is indeed Wootton Lodge, Staffordshire.

The separate house in the grounds at the side of the driveway on the way to the gates can clearly be seen in the photo to confirm things (it is visible in a couple of the film's scenes).

The picture of Antony House, Cornwall shows the grounds in front of the house to be much more extensive and the house seems to be wider.