Liked
    0 times
    ITV3 have started showing "Hammer House of Horror".

And what a weird sight there was...a pre-"Only Fools and Horses" Lennard Pearce as a Vicar!

Never seen him as anyone but Grandad, so this was very strange.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Around the time of the first OFAH, I saw Lennard Pearce in a TV drama playing the part of a barrister or something, complete with "posh" accent and demeanour. I realised then what a fine actor he was.

Liked
    151 times
    Hadn't realised this was running 'til Saturday night, caught Witching Time (or maybe Witching Hour?). Very 1980s with the TR7 and everything.

After about 10 minutes the memories came floodiong back and I recalled watching it the first time round.

Liked
    0 times
    Great to see these on again, not seen on tv since Bravo showed them in the mid 90's.

The best ones are 'Charlie Boy', 'Rude Awakening' with Denholm Elliott, and 'The House That Bled to Death'

'Silent Scream' with Peter Cushing is also good.

Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I missed it too. The listings for ITV3 in my guide, are in microscopic print.

Does anyone remember a TV series from the late 1960's called "Out of the Unknown" ? It was a sort of British "Twilight Zone" and had some excellent creepy stories, or so it seemed to me back then ! Some pretty solid UK acting talent abounded. What I remember clearly was the opening sequence of each episode which was a tour at night round an eerily empty fun-fair, accompanied by a genuinely sinister whistled theme tune.

PS - Oooooooo ! It's all gone blue !

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Ahh - OUT OF THE UNKNOWN was BBC sci-fi IIRC...

The one with the Funfair titles and that haunting, whistled, theme was Hammer's JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN. That was a CRACKING little series, but sadly responsible for the departure from Hammer of Producer/Writer and general Gothics guru Anthony Hinds.

He was meant to co-produce the series with Joan Harrison (IIRC a former assistant to Hitchcock) for American backers Fox. He was reduced to a 'nothing' role, got fed up and hence threw his hand in with Hammer, reputedly selling his shares in the company for rather silly (low) amount.

But if you can find any JOURNEY, most of them are well worth a look.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Ta Smudge !

I remember now ! Actually, both series were top-notch.

I can recall some of the "Journey to the Unknown" getting late night airings some time in the early 80's. But to my chagrin they dramatically reduced me most favourite bit, the opening fun-fair sequence.

Cheers

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by smudge@Mar 8 2005, 04:33 PM

Ahh - OUT OF THE UNKNOWN was BBC sci-fi IIRC...
    The B&W episodes were purely sc-fi I think, but the '71 colour season moved into horror (there was a Nigel Kneale chiller called 'Chopper' with Pat Troughton). A few years ago I watched 'To Lay A Ghost' with Lesley Anne Down and that was very interesting....

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    (DB7 @ Mar 8 2005, 12:56 PM)

Hadn't realised this was running 'til Saturday night, caught Witching Time (or maybe Witching Hour?). Very 1980s with the TR7 and everything.

After about 10 minutes the memories came floodiong back and I recalled watching it the first time round.
    Was "Witching Time" that thing with Diana Dors where she was a witch who smoked a pipe and sat in a rocking chair, with a locked chest containing her secrets? If so can you get it on DVD? I saw it years ago and it was genuinely creepy.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (Tonch @ May 17 2006, 10:04 PM)

Was "Witching Time" that thing with Diana Dors where she was a witch who smoked a pipe and sat in a rocking chair, with a locked chest containing her secrets? If so can you get it on DVD? I saw it years ago and it was genuinely creepy.
    Diana wasn't known for locking her chest up...she used to keep a fair bit on display IIRC...

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (Tonch @ May 17 2006, 10:04 PM)

WITCHING TIME was the one with Patricia Quinn as the returned witch, lusting after Jon Finch and trying to see of the competition (Prunella Gee). Di Dors was in the werewolf story - CHILDREN OF THE FULL MOON.

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    I think the anthology episode where Diana Dors was a witch and smoked a pipe was Nurse Will Make It Better from the Brian Clemens Thriller series.

Liked
    0 times
    One of, or probably the last ITC television serials ever made. Episodes on original transmission started with the famous ATV "In Colour" ident. Made me mourn the passing of ATV even more less than a year later...

I was amazed at how dated the programme now looks during the recent repeat run! Still very good though.

Liked
    1 times
    Hammer House Of Horror - episode Charlie Boy- the actor who plays the Merc driving scarred face road rage gangster appears curiously uncredited - anyone know name of actor?

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Finally finished watching all the episodes in this series. Some I remembered well from viewing when I was a child, some I have no memory of at all, and the ones I once rated look tired and dated, while those which I didn't appreciate at the time now stand out as really good.

For me the strongest story is Charlie Boy, but all have something which makes them worth watching. But doesn't 1980 look like an age ago now with the cars, the clothes, the hairstyles, the furniture?

Must start the Mystery and Suspense series soon which I did not see first time round.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5

Finally finished watching all the episodes in this series. Some I remembered well from viewing when I was a child, some I have no memory of at all, and the ones I once rated look tired and dated, while those which I didn't appreciate at the time now stand out as really good.

For me the strongest story is Charlie Boy, but all have something which makes them worth watching. But doesn't 1980 look like an age ago now with the cars, the clothes, the hairstyles, the furniture?

Must start the Mystery and Suspense series soon which I did not see first time round.

I wouldn' rush to do it, I've had the box set for years never got more than half-way though and then something more interesing like watching paint dry turns up

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton

I wouldn' rush to do it, I've had the box set for years never got more than half-way though and then something more interesing like watching paint dry turns up

That bad, huh? Well, I have plenty of other things to watch so I can always cherry-pick an episode or two.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton

but surely the ridiculous ending to 'black carrion' is worth watching? HHOMAS isn't all that bad-not as good as HHOH but the likes of 'tennis court' are better than x factor! etc!