Thread: Clarence

Liked
    0 times
    I thought Clarence with Ronnie Barker was a classic . Nobody seems to remember much about it . I'd love to see it again . I'm not sure but I believe there were two series . To think that this sank almost without trace .

There is still a lot of good comedy around such as Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge ,The Office , The league of Gentlemen,etc. but there's also a lot of stuff that I really don't like such as Dinner Ladies : Gimme gimme gimme ,and Men behaving badly ,to name but a few .These programes are on all the time ,night after night . Surely they could show us Clarence now and again.

Does anyone know if this is available on dvd or even if there are any plans for a future release ?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This was RonnieB's last work, with 2Rons regular, Josephine Tewson, ofcourse.

There was only one series made, in 1988.

I did have them all as offairs, but sadly no more.

Just can't wait to see them back on the TV next Fri. (The 2Rons, I mean!)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry JJ but I thought Clarence was the worst thing Barker did, couldn't stand it.

Liked
    0 times
    It's a good job that we all don't have the same tastes in entertainment - I think that Ron B never put a foot wrong; but's that is only my opinion.

Long live the difference!!!!!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN RECALL A SITCOM STARRING RONNIE BARKER AND JOSEPHINE TEWSON CALLED "CLARENCE" . ITS ABOUT A SHORT SIGHTED FURNITURE REMOVER I THINK 1980 OR THEREABOUTS. I THINK ONLY ONE SERIES WAS EVER MADE , I HAVE CONTACTED THE BBC BUT HAVE NOT HAD A REPLY (AS YET ) CHEERS , BART.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    (bart @ Apr 6 2006, 07:35 PM)
    IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN RECALL A SITCOM STARRING RONNIE BARKER AND JOSEPHINE TEWSON CALLED "CLARENCE" . ITS ABOUT A SHORT SIGHTED FURNITURE REMOVER I THINK 1980 OR THEREABOUTS. I THINK ONLY ONE SERIES WAS EVER MADE , I HAVE CONTACTED THE BBC BUT HAVE NOT HAD A REPLY (AS YET ) CHEERS , BART.
    Here you are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...6131168-4631607

FELL

Liked
    0 times
    There was a series of six Ronnie Barker Comedy Playhouses four of these became series, the most successful being "Open All Hours" and "Porridge", there was also one series each of "Clarence" and "The Magnificent Evans" in which Ronnie Barker played a short sighted photographer.

Sorry though that I don't have any copies of "Clarence"

kind regards

Tim Randall

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    (moff44uk @ apr 6 2006, 10:05 pm)
    there was a series of six ronnie barker comedy playhouses four of these became series, the most successful being "open all hours" and "porridge", there was also one series each of "clarence" and "the magnificent evans" in which ronnie barker played a short sighted photographer.

Sorry though that i don't have any copies of "clarence"

kind regards

tim randall
    hi tim thanks for your message . I have been on the bbc shop web site and they have clarence on dvd ! . I did not know about " the magnificent evans " though thank you very much for the information cheers , ian edwards