Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wicker Man

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Has anyone seen "The Lottery"? It is American TV film made from Shirley Jackson (The Haunting) short story. I sometimes suspect The Wicker Man drew its inspiration from it. It has been expanded because Jackson's story was just centred on 'The Lottery' itself, and it is quite effective film, but once it actually gets to Jackson's ritual it is every bit as shocking as The Wicker Man's climax, at least in terms of its brutality if not in originality. It is definitely worth checking out when it is next on TV.

Liked
    0 times
    As is mentioned on the voice over for the Director's cut, a body double was used for part of the Brett Ecland dance.

Apparently, the body double was a leading light of a strip club in Glasgow, the owner of the club was very insistent that she be returned as soon as possible and it is not a good idea to mess about with the owners of Glasgow strip clubs.

So she was sent back to Glasgow, it was thought, as soon as she had finished her scenes. A few days later, a call was received asking where the girl was; the strip club owner was not happy.

An urgent search was undertaken, which found her in the film crew's hotel, where she had been enjoying the company of the boys. A taxi was quickly summoned to get her back to Glasgow, and her employer placated.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    Ooooh! Can't wait! Regards, Decks.
    decks I saw advertised on tv that it's out on dvd this monday

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcobb
    Am I really the only person who rates this as one of Britain's best? It was so unique - Anthony Schaffer masterpiece with Christopher Lee (isn't he the most underrated British actor of all time?) as the leader of the cult Lord Summerisle - and Edward Woodward as the luckless hero. Superb acting and Britt eckland with the most erotic slapping on the wall ever seen in a film. And a musical score to boot.

There is nothing even to compare........

And no one else on this forum has rated it????? Oh my!
    It's one of my all-time favorites - and I'm only a Yank! I rank it with 'The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea'.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Has anyone seen "The Lottery"? It is American TV film made from Shirley Jackson (The Haunting) short story. I sometimes suspect The Wicker Man drew its inspiration from it. It has been expanded because Jackson's story was just centred on 'The Lottery' itself, and it is quite effective film, but once it actually gets to Jackson's ritual it is every bit as shocking as The Wicker Man's climax, at least in terms of its brutality if not in originality. It is definitely worth checking out when it is next on TV.
    I believe 'The Wicker Man' film pre-dates 'The Lottery'.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    It was my misfortune to see the American version of 'The Wicker Man' starring Nicholas Cage last night.

What a truly awful film.

Why on earth did they even try to make such a substandard version?

If you were even slightly interested about seeing this remake - DO NOT BOTHER.

A complete waste of time and I have to rate it one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cardew
    As is mentioned on the voice over for the Director's cut, a body double was used for part of the Brett Ecland dance.

Apparently, the body double was a leading light of a strip club in Glasgow, the owner of the club was very insistent that she be returned as soon as possible and it is not a good idea to mess about with the owners of Glasgow strip clubs.

So she was sent back to Glasgow, it was thought, as soon as she had finished her scenes. A few days later, a call was received asking where the girl was; the strip club owner was not happy.

An urgent search was undertaken, which found her in the film crew's hotel, where she had been enjoying the company of the boys. A taxi was quickly summoned to get her back to Glasgow, and her employer placated.
    I would like to believe that the girl was not a double

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by john audley
    I would like to believe that the girl was not a double
    It is definitely a body double.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    It is definitely a body double.

Bats.
    Agreed.... a body double, with according to Brit Eckland " a very fat backside!" Brit was non too chuffed at those scenes, she had agreed to go topless and no more so director Hardy solved the problem by getting some obliging lass from the mainland, the first Brit knew about it was when she saw the film!...Its all documented on the DVD extras

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    Agreed.... a body double, with according to Brit Eckland " a very fat backside!" Brit was non too chuffed at those scenes, she had agreed to go topless and no more so director Hardy solved the problem by getting some obliging lass from the mainland, the first Brit knew about it was when she saw the film!...Its all documented on the DVD extras
    I know! I said; I would like to believe that it was Brit

Did you hear the old joke - if it was a joke. Brit was supposed to have said that when she saw Peter Sellers in her hotel corridor she would have fell for him even if he were a dustman! The wag said 'one does not meet many dustmen on the tenth floor of the

Ritz hotel!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron
    Well, i would love to say, that i dug it up from under the M4, along with the rest of the missing scenes.....

But in fact, someone was offering it on ebay sometime ago, so i just saved the pic!! - I had never seen a shot of this 'mainland' scene before.

While we're at it....
    The pubs more ore less the same these days ,just a little different ,well worth a visit.Some photo,s of Edward Woodward on the wall....

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have to say that the start of the shorter version is much better than The Directors Cut. I was drawn into the story the first time I saw it on television with the flying scenes and then Howie's converation with the locals after he lands. The postie scene is unnecessary.

I would agree that the later changes to the film were a mistake.

Member Country: Denmark
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenima
    Any news on the "May Day" film yet. Last I heard Christopher Lee was reading the script.

Cheers,

A
    As probably all of you here, i am a huge fan of "The Wicker Man", but i haven't ever heard about any "May Day" script. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this project?

Jan

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Orlok
    As probably all of you here, i am a huge fan of "The Wicker Man", but i haven't ever heard about any "May Day" script. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this project?

Jan
    It's called Cowboys for Christ now after Robin Hardy's novel of the same name.

It's been 'in pre-production' for some years and it was claimed that it would start filming last autumn. That didn't happen due to the usual financial troubles that afflict most films.

However it is supposed to start filming in March now with Christopher Lee and Dyan Cannon (Vanessa Redgrave and Charlotte Rampling had been previously attached) in the main roles.

It's entirely possible that it won't happen though...

Liked
    0 times
    As a result of this thread, I watched it again last night, and I have to agree that it is a great movie in that parts of it replay (and I don't mean the naughty bits) in my mind when I least expect it. Yes, Christopher Lee, is an underrated star. No doubt it is due to the bulk of his films being in the horror genre.

BDJ

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Looks like we aren't going to get a sequel.

Cult film sequel shoot called off

Plans to film a sequel to the cult movie The Wicker Man have been halted due to "financing problems".

Cameras were due to start rolling in Dumfries and Galloway this month on the follow-up to the 1970s film starring Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee.

However, a statement from the local council confirmed that producers had cancelled the shoot due to last minute difficulties with finance.

Councillor Gill Dykes described the news as "bitterly disappointing".

The original 1973 film, written by Anthony Shaffer, was shot at a number of locations throughout Galloway.

We will maintain contact with this interesting project and I can only hope we'll be top of their location list if the financial problems get resolved

Cllr Gill Dykes

It was planned that the sequel - based on director Robin Hardy's book Cowboys for Christ - would also be filmed in the region. However, those plans have been dropped for the time being. Ms Dykes said the decision would have a severe financial impact.

"The company were about to start casting for extras and around 90 crew and cast were booked into local accommodation for a four week period," she said.

"This is a big blow to them. "We will maintain contact with this interesting project and I can only hope we'll be top of their location list if the financial problems get resolved."

A council statement said the production company was looking to put alternative funding arrangements in place. It added that if filming had to be cancelled entirely any funds committed by the authority would be returned.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Jack
    As a result of this thread, I watched it again last night, and I have to agree that it is a great movie in that parts of it replay (and I don't mean the naughty bits) in my mind when I least expect it. Yes, Christopher Lee, is an underrated star. No doubt it is due to the bulk of his films being in the horror genre.

BDJ
    I absolutely love this film - and I would never even consider watching the more-recent version.

This film was the 'B' movie to Don't Look Now and was slated by the critics at the time. It probably, only came to a lot of people's attention because of Britt Eckland's nude scene which turned it into a cult classic; I hope the people who made the film suitable reimbursed her! (Body double or not!)

Christopher Lee played his part for nothing and still insists that it was the best script he had ever seen and that the film is one of the best of all time.

(Apologies if this has been said before.)

You can't really have a better endorsement than that, surely?

DS x.

Liked
    0 times
    I have said in a different thread that IMO Edward Woodward's performance is one the of the best not only in the British horror genre but in Brit movies per se ( Michael Caine's role in Get Carter being another ). Had The Wicker Man not had the unfortunate beginnings that it did - and perhaps not been tagged a horror movie - maybe he would have had greater recognition. Its a little ironic that his role in The Equaliser which made him a star in the US was a result of his TV work in Callan and not from his classic movie performance in TWM. :-)

Liked
    1 times
    this is still in its cellophane wrapping, I think that I will have to watch this again

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Yes Wilcobb, Chris Lee is underated and even more underated was the late Peter Cushing - a classical actor, who had to make a few trashy films, no doubt to pay the bills, but who, nevertheless, was really misused!! He was capable of so much more.
    Peter Cushing was great and I would have loved to meet him, he seemed such a nice man. My only slight comment would be that he never seemed convincing in some fight scenes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast