Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wicker Man

Liked
    0 times
    Am I really the only person who rates this as one of Britain's best? It was so unique - Anthony Schaffer masterpiece with Christopher Lee (isn't he the most underrated British actor of all time?) as the leader of the cult Lord Summerisle - and Edward Woodward as the luckless hero. Superb acting and Britt eckland with the most erotic slapping on the wall ever seen in a film. And a musical score to boot.

There is nothing even to compare........

And no one else on this forum has rated it????? Oh my!

Liked
    0 times
    Yes Wilcobb, Chris Lee is underated and even more underated was the late Peter Cushing - a classical actor, who had to make a few trashy films, no doubt to pay the bills, but who, nevertheless, was really misused!! He was capable of so much more.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by wilcobb@Mar 14 2005, 07:13 PM

Am I really the only person who rates this as one of Britain's best? It was so unique - Anthony Schaffer masterpiece with Christopher Lee (isn't he the most underrated British actor of all time?) as the leader of the cult Lord Summerisle - and Edward Woodward as the luckless hero. Superb acting and Britt eckland with the most erotic slapping on the wall ever seen in a film. And a musical score to boot.

There is nothing even to compare........

And no one else on this forum has rated it????? Oh my!
    If you do a search of the whole forum for it you'll see that it's often been praised. What do you mean "no one else on this forum has rated it"?

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Now to be remade with Nicolas Cage in the EW part,and Maine standing in for Scotland.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Marky B@Mar 16 2005, 07:56 PM

Now to be remade with Nicolas Cage in the EW part,and Maine standing in for Scotland.

Ta Ta
    Ooooh! Can't wait! Regards, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    On seeing this, the first thing that comes into my mind, going into Father Jack mode, is ARSE.

Liked
    0 times
    I think it should (nt) be remade with Sylvester Stallone and when they're burning him at the end he can escape Rambo style and slaughter the lot of them no good pagan varmints, and then we can look forward to Wicker Man 2,3,4 & 5

Liked
    0 times
    Whicker Man was a fantastic film notwithstanding the scenes with Britt Eckland. The ending was great and quite frightening - you can actually imagine it happening

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by jacobean@May 12 2005, 09:46 AM

Whicker Man was a fantastic film notwithstanding the scenes with Britt Eckland. The ending was great and quite frightening - you can actually imagine it happening
    I think that's what ultimately made it so effective. It seems far-fetched, yet every detail, as we discover it, is perfectly reasonable given the established context. The psychology of each character is perfectly judged. The ending gives us not only the death of the hapless investigator, but also the death of own social confidence, our assumption that we are possessed of a form of reason which can by its nature always triumph over the convictions of others.

I once participated in a 'Wicker Man' ritual for a friend's stag night, though in the end we burned Barney the Dinosaur instead. We didn't fancy our chances reasoning with his bride-to-be. ;)

Jennie

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Christopher Lee actually rates it as his favourite role. There is a great book called Inside the Wicker Man by Allan Brown which anyone interested in the film should track down http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5107730-7605406

I have been to a few of the sites used in the film in SW Scotland which was an interesting experience - I'll get my anorak...............

Liked
    0 times
    Any news on the "May Day" film yet. Last I heard Christopher Lee was reading the script.

Cheers,

A

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by summerisle@Aug 3 2005, 08:29 AM

Christopher Lee actually rates it as his favourite role. There is a great book called Inside the Wicker Man by Allan Brown which anyone interested in the film should track down http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5107730-7605406

I have been to a few of the sites used in the film in SW Scotland which was an interesting experience - I'll get my anorak.........
    Summerisle - you're not the chap who sent me the soundtrack of Wicker Man a couple of years ago, are you? Or are you another Lord Summerisle that I'm getting you confused with?

Diane

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Diane Blackwell@Aug 3 2005, 02:40 PM

Summerisle - you're not the chap who sent me the soundtrack of Wicker Man a couple of years ago, are you? Or are you another Lord Summerisle that I'm getting you confused with?

Diane
    we're one and the same, diane. good to speak to you again!

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by summerisle@Aug 3 2005, 05:31 PM

we're one and the same, diane. good to speak to you again!
    Hey! Well, I never did! Do you know, I've still got those marvellous photos you sent me of those WM locations in Scotland! How are you doing? Did you twig it was me?

I'm on hols now for a week, so we'll speak more when I'm back on Mon 15th Aug. Bieee!

Liked
    0 times
    It's an utter masterpiece. Simple as that! :)

The Directors Cut, it has to be said, is far superior, and like Mr Lee I still feel cheated out of the further few minutes that will possibly now never be seen again...

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by Mark Lewis@Aug 18 2005, 07:01 PM

It's an utter masterpiece. Simple as that! :)

The Directors Cut, it has to be said, is far superior, and like Mr Lee I still feel cheated out of the further few minutes that will possibly now never be seen again...
    Here's a deleted scene, of Howie closing down a pub on the mainland....

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by aaron@Aug 18 2005, 10:42 PM

Here's a deleted scene, of Howie closing down a pub on the mainland....

great pic aaron, where did you get it?

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by summerisle@Aug 19 2005, 01:52 PM

great pic aaron, where did you get it?
    Well, i would love to say, that i dug it up from under the M4, along with the rest of the missing scenes.....

But in fact, someone was offering it on ebay sometime ago, so i just saved the pic!! - I had never seen a shot of this 'mainland' scene before.

While we're at it....

Liked
    0 times
    Wow, I didn't think I'd see anything from the Wicker Man now that I'd never seen before!

Liked
    0 times
    Interested article about the American remake. Robin Hardy hasn't been enthused!

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...?id=1921042005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast