Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    WHAT RUBBISH! They fucked up the Daleks! PC crap that had the Dalek 'feel' Rose's fear...and wanted it's freedom...and made hippie speeches about all things meaningful...and reached out it's cute little tentacle to her *sniff* *sniff*

BOLLOCKS!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak@Apr 30 2005, 07:46 PM

WHAT RUBBISH! They fucked up the Daleks! PC crap that had the Dalek 'feel' Rose's fear...and wanted it's freedom...and made hippie speeches about all things meaningful...and reached out it's cute little tentacle to her *sniff* *sniff*

BOLLOCKS!
    You can't blame anyone, alien or not, reaching out their cute little tentacle to Rose for a sniff

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by smudge@Mar 26 2005, 09:07 PM

SKY transmission seemed to be marred by overlays of Graham Norton audio at the start. Anybody else get that ?
    Graham Norton is far more disturbing than any monster ever shown in Doctor Who.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, for what it's worth, I think Eccleston is making a really good Doctor. But you can kinda understand that as an actor he was probably interested in the part, but didn't realise that the whole shoot was going to take over 8 months. If he did a series every year then that aint gonna leave him much time for anything else.

Apparently audience figures are already dropping 'sumfink alarming' as the hype drops off. The most recent episode, 'Dalek', was / is the weakest so far IMHO.

It should however, be worth pointing out that the guiding light / hand behind the whole venture is Russell T. Davies the chappie who single-handedly fucked up the recent 'Casanova'. I do believe that the 'T' stands for 'Twat'. (it was watched by about 3 viewers)

Whilst some of the old Dr Who episodes creaked and groaned, they were often written by people who at least understood the science fiction genre, these new episodes are being written by Davies himself (heaven help us) and a bunch of his mates. Mark Gattiss from the L.O.G. and Steven Moffat who did 'Coupling' (which for those who don't know was like 'Friends' on acid) This weeks, 'Dalek' was written by the guy who wrote some of the episodes of the costume drama 'Born and Bred' in 2002 and dosen't seem to have done much since.

The good Doctor will not eventually be killed off either by the Daleks, Cybermen, Yetis, Gargoyles, Ice Warriors, Sea Devils, Zygons or 'The Master' he's most likely to be brought down and ruined by stupid, greedy, idiots like Russell T. Davies who understand nothing except a vague notion for how much they can sell a thing for abroad. (Look how quickly he sold the franchise for ' Queer as Folk' to the States)

BBC Wales have been lucky to find Piper and Eccleston who, for different reasons, , wanted to make a REAL go of it. Davies will tell anyone who's listening that Eccelston approached him, but yet, TO THIS DAY has failed (apparently) to thank Eccleston publicly in anyway shape or from for whar he did to really nail the character down. Strange goings on indeed.

Threep.

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood@May 2 2005, 12:21 AM

[snip]

Steven Moffat who did 'Coupling' (which for those who don't know was like 'Friends' on ac
    Others have said Coupling was like Friends but where they actually dared to talk about sex. It was one of the few series that regularly made me laugh out loud. Some great writing.

Steven Moffat was also the brains behind (and the writer of) Press Gang that first brought Julia Sawalha, Dexter Fletcher, Paul Reynolds and others to our attention. Nominally a children's programme but one that dared to tackle some very important subjects

Not everything he touches turns to gold, but those two series certianly did.

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    You're pushing at an open door with that one, sir, 'Coupling' was indeed one of our finest hours...and one of me favouritest comedies, ( well, it lost it a bit after the 'Jeff' character left,) and still remains unique in its use of time, split screen, and language, my point was rather that although Moffet is a darn good writer, that don't exactly make him a good science fiction writer.

However, any sit-com with the line "I've got the keys to the gates of paradise....but I've got one too many legs......" can't be all bad. Expect to see copies of "Lesbian Spank Inferno" scattered around the Tardis...now that would be an interesting episode.....

Threep

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood@May 2 2005, 12:21 AM

The good Doctor will not eventually be killed off either by the Daleks, Cybermen, Yetis, Gargoyles, Ice Warriors, Sea Devils, Zygons or 'The Master' he's most likely to be brought down and ruined by stupid, greedy, idiots like Russell T. Davies who understand nothing except a vague notion for how much they can sell a thing for abroad. (Look how quickly he sold the franchise for ' Queer as Folk' to the States)
    I think you're being grotesquely unfair to Davies. Your accusation completely stands up with regard to the 1996 one-off Paul McGann film, which clearly was aimed at attracting Transatlantic attention (and was, of course, a miserable failure, though I thought McGann deserved better), but what I love about the current series is the way Davies isn't at all afraid to be parochial - and the American writer Bonnie Greer's reaction of utter bafflement when confronted with it on Newsnight Review said it all. (Conversely, her three British companions, who'd all grown up with it, loved it).

What I also like is the way that Davies has pitched the series simultaneously at two distinct audiences - thirty and forty-something Who fans (many of whom, like me, gave up watching shortly after Tom Baker packed it in) and a new generation of kids who weren't even born during its original run. What I'm particularly impressed by is the way that Davies has made it knowing, but not too knowing - the in-jokes are there for people who'll get them, but they're not rammed down your throats.

Far from being a "stupid, greedy idiot", Russell T Davies has managed to resurrect a long-dead series, breathe new life into it and make it a genuine long-term proposition again - even after Michael Grade's return to the BBC. And it took me about two seconds to Google a reference to him praising Christopher Eccleston to the skies.

Liked
    1 times
    And it took me about two seconds to Google a reference to him

Yes....dated April the 10th 2005.... over a year since principle filming began down in Penarth....and sometime AFTER everyone else started saying how good he was.

As to me being unfair to Davies?, well. he is one of the new breed of 'box tickers' and that is now how things are done at the Beeb, no passion, no belief, no love of a project...

Tick the boxes to make a program.

Does it have a ready made audience?

Do we need a back story? or is it all set up?

Does it appeal to both young and old?(*)

Does it have a high audience recognition factor?

Will it have in-jokes for those in the know?

Can we give it gravitas by using old thesps? (1*)

Can we get a soundtrack album out of it? (2*)

Can we shoot it somewhere cheap?

Can we get away with not going to ILAM for effects?

Will it get its' production costs back due to overseas sales? (3*)

Tick the 'yes' box to all the above, and bingo! you got your progamme made...and so far, no-one has even asked what its about.

The present series is up against 'Celebrity Wrestling' and is winning the early Saturday night ratings war hands down (but what wouldn't up against that bollocks?) Having said that, the good Doctor still lost over a million viewers between "The Unquiet Dead" (8.9m) and "Dalek"(7.8m)

I really don't think Davies understands the first thing about science fiction.(one of the cast of Bridget Jones Diary is writing an episode for the next series) I suspect he was just looking around for a new project, whatever it may have been.

For a more definative account see Davies interview in 'Gay Times', see why the Doctor has already been called 'Gay' in one episode and gets kissed by a bloke in an upcoming one. There is also talk of an 'All singing' episode...a la Buffy...ye gods...this is TV by the numbers ..no more and no less. It seems to be glossy, cut too fast, and ultimately souless. Piper is quite good, and Eccleston?..he's brilliant...(but I wouldn't want him hiding up in my loft.)(4*)

Threep.

(*) David Walliams and Matt Lucas will be appearing in the next series

(1*) Eccleston got £600,000 for the 13 episodes he did....The NEW Doctor ( David Tennant) will only get slightly over £500,000 for 2 series. (think the Beeb are unhappy with Eccleston going? Callow rather wasted as Dickens though.

(2*) Tainted Love by Soft Cell has already appeared and apparently the end of the world will be accompanied by Brittanys' Toxic

(3*) The BBC have had to have it dragged from them that it is in fact a co-production with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Early credits did not reflect this.

(4*) Spot the easy reference

BUT, if they still want an Eccleston to play the lead....how about Bernie?

Liked
    418 times
    So cynical, at such an early age.

There are plenty of other reports of Davis praising Eccleston. It's just that the most recent ones come up first in the Google search. Just wade down through a few pages.

There are also someinterestingly bad reports like the one from BBC News where they announced that the new Doctor was Mark Eccleston (20th March 2004). But even in that Davis was full of praise for Ecclestone saying he was the perfect choice for the Doctor. It was the reporters that got the wrong Ecclestone.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Whatever...they still messed up the Daleks and turned them into some kind of 'in need of understanding' semi-villians! These are the freakin DALEKS!

This shit was about as far from the majesty of "Genesis of..." as you can get.

The McCoy era was at least naff in an in your face way...this new version is simply naff via the back door, fooling people into thinking it's not naff by coating it in a high budget gloss and shoving a respected thesp in the lead.

And it seems to have fooled enough people as well.

What the hell was that last double header Alien invasion story if not just a less than subtle swipe by pissed off BBC employees at the Govenment? Obvious, cringe inducing and out of place! Two by four satire to the head written by people with a chip on their shoulder that was disguising itself as a well loved TV show.

"Please understand me...I may be a Dalek, but i have feelings too"...KISS IT DUSTBIN BOY!

Liked
    1 times
    " saying he [Ecclestone] was the perfect choice for the Doctor."
    ...this would be after Alan Davies and Eddie Izzard turned it down right? (they were again approached to take over from C.E.) so if the above is correct then RTD is telling us he got his first choices wrong.

And didn't the Daleks all get wiped out in a battle with the Timelords? and ( according to RTD ) only one timelord survived...just the Doctor then?...er no...cos wasn't The Master a Timelord as well and he survived to turn up in the States..

And didn't the Timelords all get totalled so that all the evil Daleks would perish?...oh no!.....look heres' one....ah...."it must have fallen through a hole in time"...ah that'll be it then.....the old 'fallen through a hole in time' plot ploy...stone me! does RTD think we're stoopid or what?

My choice for a new Doctor? Alan Rickman.

Threep.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I thought saturday's 'Dalek' episode was supurb...this coming from someone who thought thye'd never enjoy Dr Who again after Jon Pertwee/Katy Manning left

Liked
    1 times
    Katy Manning and the Daleks?...ah.... who can forget them together...

Threep.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood@May 2 2005, 08:22 PM

" saying he [Ecclestone] was the perfect choice for the Doctor."

...this would be after Alan Davies and Eddie Izzard turned it down right? (they were again approached to take over from C.E.) so if the above is correct then RTD is telling us he got his first choices wrong.
    No, not at all - that's not how casting works, and often it's not clear how "perfect" someone might be for a part until they start being considered for it, whereupon the limitations of the supposedly better choices are retrospectively revealed.

Would you not agree, for instance, that Warren Mitchell and Arthur Lowe were so perfect as Alf Garnett and Captain Mainwaring that it's impossible to imagine anyone else in the roles? Yet Mitchell was third choice after Peter Sellers and Leo McKern, while Jon Pertwee was formally offered a contract to play Mainwaring and only decided not to do it at the last minute.

Believe me, any producer would be able to come up with similar stories. Alan Davies and Eddie Izzard may well have seemed perfect at the time their participation was originally discussed - but when Eccleston came into the frame their limitations must have seemed equally obvious. There's a real edge to Eccleston, a hint that he's heading for a genuine mental crack-up, that I can't imagine the others getting across.

Incidentally, this is the most sensible take on 'Dalek' that I've come across.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Wetherby Pond@May 7 2005, 08:15 AM

Incidentally, this is the most sensible take on 'Dalek' that I've come across.
    Yes, but he also called "Ultraviolet" , 'excellent'.

Yeah...right.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood@May 2 2005, 05:38 PM

As to me being unfair to Davies?, well. he is one of the new breed of 'box tickers' and that is now how things are done at the Beeb, no passion, no belief, no love of a project...

Tick the boxes to make a program.

Does it have a ready made audience?

Do we need a back story? or is it all set up?

Does it appeal to both young and old?(*)

Does it have a high audience recognition factor?

Will it have in-jokes for those in the know?

Can we give it gravitas by using old thesps? (1*)

Can we get a soundtrack album out of it? (2*)

Can we shoot it somewhere cheap?

Can we get away with not going to ILAM for effects?

Will it get its' production costs back due to overseas sales? (3*)

Tick the 'yes' box to all the above, and bingo! you got your progamme made...and so far, no-one has even asked what its about.
    I don't see the problem here. Or rather, I do see a problem, but it's a different kind of problem from the one you're highlighting - namely, that the cost of production and the demands of audiences mean that it's now impossible to make an elaborate sci-fi series without spending several orders of magnitude more than you'd have spent on its equivalent 20-30 years ago (even without taking inflation into account).

Even without that, such questions are an inevitable part of the production process, and are nothing new. It's famously alleged that the BBC would never have got Dad's Army off the ground today, but I'm not at all sure that's true: even in the supposedly golden-age 1960s it had to jump through plenty of virtually identical hoops before being greenlit, in the face of a lot of internal opposition.

And I see no evidence whatsoever to back up your initial accusation - just about any interview with Davies reveals him as a Doctor Who obsessive to a degree that makes it quite a good thing that he doesn't need to find a girlfriend.

The present series is up against 'Celebrity Wrestling' and is winning the early Saturday night ratings war hands down (but what wouldn't up against that bollocks?) Having said that, the good Doctor still lost over a million viewers between "The Unquiet Dead" (8.9m) and "Dalek"(7.8m)
    A loss of one in nine is perfectly normal wastage, and it's not as though 7.8 million viewers is anything to be ashamed of (especially not these days, with Saturday night ratings in crisis generally). You'd have a point if the ratings had plunged through the floor, but they clearly haven't - in fact, six episodes in, they seem to be holding up pretty well.

I really don't think Davies understands the first thing about science fiction.(one of the cast of Bridget Jones Diary is writing an episode for the next series) I suspect he was just looking around for a new project, whatever it may have been. For a more definative account see Davies interview in 'Gay Times', see why the Doctor has already been called 'Gay' in one episode and gets kissed by a bloke in an upcoming one.
    I haven't read the interview, which may explain why I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. On the face of it, though, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference between the kind of writers being employed now and those on previous series - one of the creators of Crossroads cut his teeth on Patrick Troughton's Doctor! And I certainly don't see why sexuality and science fiction don't go together - or am I misreading your argument?

Liked
    1 times
    My arguement (in a nutshell) is that the present Doctor Who has been made without Soul, Heart, Passion or Understanding.

It is glossy, emptyheaded and vacuous and it has been made purely for reasons other than to "bring back Doctor Who"

RTD has been walking around with this get rich quick scheme since 2002. When we mailed the writers packs out back in middle to late 2003 his only criteria upon their return was "would it sell" and to be truthfull, some of the early returned scripts were bloody brilliant, until RTD got his hands on them and significant alterations took place.

e.g. Why torture a Dalek to speak when you don't know if it can speak in the first place?....in this weeks episode you couldn't use the lift unless you had a key...except for the hero who just pressed the button and down he went...

This weeks episode started with figures of 7.52 m. (according to our overnights) but by the end nearly two and a half million had tuned out. It finished with 5.18m

Up against Celebrity Wrestling these figures are a disaster. C.W actually gained a million as it went along....ye gods!

I have always been loathe to judge the artistic mertits of things by whether or not they are popular, that in and of itself is a bad yardstick, but, when even the undemanding early Saturday night audience are turning off, you must start to take notice. All hopes now are on the inevitable "Christmas Special" which Ecclestone is already filming.

Looks good, slick, loud, glossy, outsmarts itself, ultimately empty, relies too much on the efforts of others invovled,.......Doctor Who, or RTD.?

Threep.

p.s. as for sexuality in Sci-Fi?....yus please..

Liked
    151 times
    Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood@May 8 2005, 03:34 PM

My arguement (in a nutshell) is that the present Doctor Who has been made without Soul, Heart, Passion or Understanding.
    I'd say totally the opposite. He strikes me as a complex character with a tortured soul; perhaps weary of the death and destruction of the war he frequently alludes to. Unlike the previous knowitall Doctors Eccleston's incarnation is more flawed awash with near human contradictions.

This week's episode was a letdown and I was expecting more from Pegg's appearance (certainly his usual genre homages) but it was a fairly insipid story which struck me as greatly underdeveloped.

But on the whole the new series has been a success which it had to be as a failure would have sent the franchise back to the vaults for another decade or two. But it was always going to be the case that some people would want a facsimile of Tom Baker and the series in it's heyday - but that's been done and done well ao I see little point in trying to imitate it. it's a shame Eccleston is retiring from the job as by the second series he may have been bedded into the role and free of developing his character.

Liked
    1 times
    Ah...see...no, I'm sorry....I wrote it badly, I didn't mean the Doctor HIMSELF....I meant the team BEHIND the new Doctor series...THEY had made it without heart, soul, etc....

Threep.

Liked
    151 times
    Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood@May 8 2005, 03:34 PM

This weeks episode started with figures of 7.52 m. (according to our overnights) but by the end nearly two and a half million had tuned out. It finished with 5.18m

Up against Celebrity Wrestling these figures are a disaster. C.W actually gained a million as it went along....ye gods!
    Don't know where you got your figures Guybrush but I thought those viewing figures were 'average', and given popular shows like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire pull les than 5m I'd say Doctor Who's numbers are fairly respectable. Either way the good Doc has thankfully killed off Celebrity Wrestling which is one thing to be thankful for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast