Quote Originally Posted by wadey View Post
    and it has stood the test of time
    Yes, it can still make audiences feel uncomfortable

Steve

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    You know, I have never seen the film peeping Tom. I have the others of Powell and Pressburger, and I am begining to wonder why I haven't made the effort to see this one. Has it ever been on tv? I know it wasn't well recieved on release.
    A late response to this one, I must have missed it when it was posted.

It wasn't well received by the London critics from the major newspapers, but it was reasonably well received by the general public when they had a chance to see it. The distributors were scared (or scarred) by the Killer Reviews that were so far over the top they appear ludicrous. They were over the top back in 1960, given what has been made and released by major studios since then, they now appear totally fantastic.

Oddly, the trade magazines all gave it quite reasonable reviews and said it was worth showing and the fan magazines generally warned that it was a bit weird but was worth seeing.

Powell often said that his only real disappointment was at the cowardice of the distributors who "quickly sold off the negatives". He said that if he had been able to he would have promoted it by showing some of the bad reviews from the London critics and suggesting that people come and see it and make their own minds up.

That's a good story, but is it true? In fact it seems that it was shown around the country. Quite a few cinemas on the ABC circuit showed it. It got a local ban in at least one place. The cinema in Reading, Berkshire wasn't allowed to show it. But quite a few others did. It wasn't a huge hit, it didn't break any box-office records, but a lot of people were able to see it in 1960.

Peeping Tom was still playing in a Liverpool cinema in 1962 on a double-bill with Revak the Rebel - it seemed to have got a re-release at one point in late 1961/early 1962. On the US release, the book "Ghouls, Gold and Gimmicks" by Kevin Heffernan devotes a whole chapter to its release in Philadelphia. Heffernan doesn't discuss what print of the film was actually shown.

Martin Scorsese tells how it was impossible to see in the States although rumours of it circulated and he finally saw a cut version in the 1970s. He managed to get it restored and shown at the 1979 New York Film Festival where Michael Powell saw it, and the reaction to it.

It has been on TV, quite a few times. It's also been released on video & DVD
    Criterion edition (region 1 DVD)
    Optimum edition (region 2 DVD)
    Both of those come with a load of extras

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Daily Telegraph 28/10/2011

Why I Love
    PEEPING TOM
    by Gerardo Naranjo

The director of MISS BALA (released today) explains his admiration for PEEPING TOM, Michael Powell's account of a killer who films his victims' death throes:

There are two kinds of movie: the ones that take a documentary approach, and the ones that take a poetic approach. PEEPING TOM is definitely a movie that reveals reality in a poetic way.

It is an allegory of what filmmakers do, the way they explore emotions. Powell was a visionary: he knew even then that the media would transform the way we think. He knew about the suggestive power of images and how they would modify the way we experience life.

It's happening all around us now: just look at the way so many video games are based on a point-of-view experience. This is a film that speaks even for today and our obsession with images.

The editing emphasises this. When the guy (played by Carl Boehm) is on the point of killing the women, Powell cuts to him taking pleasure in watching his footage of the murders later.

PEEPING TOM is very different from the films Powell made with Emeric Pressburger. Those were an exploration of style, colour and elegance. They used such a delicate language that, when Powell directed on his own, it was as if he needed to explode in some way, and in PEEPING TOM he did precisely that. The best directors are those you cannot recognise from one movie to the next. It's the mark of a great director.

Interview by Marc Lee

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    The best directors are those you cannot recognise from one movie to the next. It's the mark of a great director.
    That's why I've always said that Powell made nonsense of the discredited auteur theory. Not only for his work with Pressburger, which was the "author" of the films they made together. But also because of the way that his films are so different in style & genre

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12