Thread: Hostile Witness

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Hostile Witness was originally a West End play which eventually got filmed by Ray Milland in 1968 in a version starring himself and Sylvia Sims.

I've seen this film only once and I really enjoyed it, despite it being largely a courtroom drama which I'm not normally a huge fan of. Ray Milland was a pretty good actor in this as I remember.

The thing about this film was that it had all the elements of being a low budget old fashioned British black and white 1950s type of thriller, and seemed a bit strange filmed in colour. The backdrop of 1960s London is rather nice, and anything with those sorts of British icons like red double decker Routemaster buses and old cars usually keeps me quiet and content.

I will try and get a copy if it's still available, or record it should it ever appear on TV again.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I've seen this film a couple of times, years and years ago, and it also struck me as old-fashioned and stagey - but in an enjoyable, almost Hitchcockian way.

I can't recall much of it now beyond the courtroom scenes - I think Felix Aylmer played the crusty old judge.

Liked
    3 times
    Originally posted by Simon Bermuda@May 3 2005, 06:53 PM

I've seen this film a couple of times, years and years ago, and it also struck me as old-fashioned and stagey - but in an enjoyable, almost Hitchcockian way.

I can't recall much of it now beyond the courtroom scenes - I think Felix Aylmer played the crusty old judge.
    Old Felix Aylmer was always an elderly judge, bishop or monk from what I remember of him. I think he was born at the age of 75!

Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing Hostile Witness about 18 years ago on BBC2 in the afternoon, it had a Mk 2 Jag in it like my dad had in the mid 60's.The look of the film is great, and has a gripping courtroom drama ending. I looked out for it coming round again and got a good VHS copy about 10 years ago. I have recently archived it onto DVD with a Panasonic Reorder. Quality is still very good, considering. I have hundreds of old VHS films which I intend to transfer, the storage is a real bonus. I am new to this forum, but if you wish to see a copy of mine, I will try to help .

Liked
    3 times
    Originally posted by ANDYG@Jul 29 2005, 03:05 PM

I remember seeing Hostile Witness about 18 years ago on BBC2 in the afternoon, it had a Mk 2 Jag in it like my dad had in the mid 60's.The look of the film is great, and has a gripping courtroom drama ending. I looked out for it coming round again and got a good VHS copy about 10 years ago. I have recently archived it onto DVD with a Panasonic Reorder. Quality is still very good, considering. I have hundreds of old VHS films which I intend to transfer, the storage is a real bonus. I am new to this forum, but if you wish to see a copy of mine, I will try to help .

Yes that would be great because I've not seen it for ages. Send me a message with details on etc.

I seem to be getting more and more interested in 1960s and 1970s films these days. Probably because I was too young to enjoy the 1960s, and in the 70s living in a rural area us youths had to hitchhike 30 miles to a cinema on a Saturday to see any current films, and they didn't change them as often as nowadays. I saw Blazing Saddles 14 times in 1974 (seriously)!

Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing this film starring Ray Milland on ITV's Monday Matinee (remember that?) in the mid 80s when I was off school ill and loving it, a really absorbing little drama. I don't think it's ever been shown again or turned up on DVD: has my memory cheated or is it a good'un?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    How could a courtroom drama featuring both Felix Aylmer and Raymond Huntley be anything other than marvellous? it's got some notable turns by some excellent character actors and Ray Milland uses his air of menace to keep the audience guessing.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Milland played the part on stage and went on to film it as director and star. Its pretty pedestrian and lifeless as a film IIRC but the plot does hold the attention.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I liked it. I thought it was well done. Ray Milland is at the top of my list of actors and is worth watching in almost anything.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I remember this at Shepperton Studios....

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Here's the poster and lobby cards