Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryan's Daughter

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Ireland is a really bueatiful place, the scenery in and arround Ireland is great where the Quite man was filmed in Kong in Galway is spectacular too, I live across the road from where Brian Boru is buried although there is only a plaque on the wall saying he is buried on the left side of the Church(Church of Ireland Cathedral) in Armagh, there is so much for people to see here really, comeing from England originally i find life here safe and peaceful.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I seem to remember an essay by Leslie Halliwell which accompanied his Film Guide for, I think, the year 1988. His argument was how some of the greatest directors had succumbed to extravagance. He cited three directors as examples, but I can only remember two. Arthur Penn was one, criticised for The Missouri Breaks. David Lean was the other, criticised for the length of Ryan's Daughter, which Halliwell said (if I'm not mistaken) had been cut from its initial running time of four hours. Checking IMDB, et al, the longest version I have found is 206min? Can anybody clarify on the Halliwell essay, or R.D's running time?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    In his immense biography of David Lean, Kevin Brownlow records the initial reluctance ('I'm not an actress') of Sandy Lean nee Katz to appear, in A PASSAGE TO INDIA, in the non-speaking role of Stella. Brownlow does not mention an apparent earlier appearance in a Lean film. When, in RYAN's DAUGHTER, the newly arrived camp commander (Christopher Jones) unpacks, and his departing predecessor (Gerald Sim) looks at the photograph of Jones's wife and remarks 'Bonny woman', the black and white still we see in close-up seems to be, clearly, of Sandy Katz. - Anthony Baker

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Earlier appearance? She was a prop not a character in the flesh.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Baker
    ... Sandy Lean nee Katz ...
    n�e Hotz

Sandra Hotz

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I noticed that the region 1 DVD of Ryans Daughter is 20 minutes longer than the region 2 version.I have the region 2 and it has been cut from when I saw it at the cinema but I thought I would ask if anyone knows if region 1 is actually longer before buying it again as I heard that the U.S DVD`S are not necessary longer just because the running time is more and I don`t need two the same.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Our Region 1 DVD runs for 3 hours 25 minutes.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times

R1 SE America - (Warner Bros Home Entertainment) Rewind Review

Commentaries:

DISC ONE

*The Film (Part 1 - 107:47 min)

Audio commentary with Lady Sandra Lean, actress Sarah Miles, Petrine Day Mitchum (Robert Mitchum's daughter), assistant director Michael Stevenson, second unit director Roy Stevens, art director Roy Walker, assistant editor Tony Lawson, location manager Eddie Fowlie, stuntman Vic Armstrong, biographer Stephen M. Silverman, film critic Richard Schickel, and directors John Boorman, and Hugh Hudson (Part 1)

Trailers:

-Announcement trailer

-Theatrical trailer

Extras:

DISC TWO

*The Film (Part 2 - 98:28 min)

Audio commentary with Lady Sandra Lean, actress Sarah Miles, Petrine Day Mitchum (Robert Mitchum's daughter), assistant director Michael Stevenson, second unit director Roy Stevens, art director Roy Walker, assistant editor Tony Lawson, location manager Eddie Fowlie, stuntman Vic Armstrong, biographer Stephen M. Silverman, film critic Richard Schickel, and directors John Boorman, and Hugh Hudson (Part 2)

"The Making of Ryan's Daughter" -documentary (35th Anniversary):

-Rising Storm (27:46 min)

-Storm Chaser (20:55 min)

-The Eye of the Storm (14:11 min)

"We're the Last of the Traveling Circuses" -vintage featurette (20:02 min)

"Ryan's Daughter: A Story of Love" -vintage featurette (6:14 min)

Subtitles:

English, Spanish, and French

Aspect Ratio:

2.20:1

Picture Format:

Anamorphic

TV System:

NTSC

Soundtrack(s):

English Dolby Digital 5.1

French Dolby Digital 5.1

Case type:

2-Disc Keep Case

Notes:

Region 1/2/3/4 encoded. Transferred from restored 65-millimeter picture and audio elements.

Buy this disc from CD WOW! (R1), Play USA (R1) and help support Rewind

R2 SE Holland - (Warner Bros Home Entertainment)

Commentaries:

DISC ONE

*The Film (Part 1)

Audio commentary with Lady Sandra Lean, actress Sarah Miles, Petrine Day Mitchum (Robert Mitchum's daughter), assistant director Michael Stevenson, second unit director Roy Stevens, art director Roy Walker, assistant editor Tony Lawson, location manager Eddie Fowlie, stuntman Vic Armstrong, biographer Stephen M. Silverman, film critic Richard Schickel, and directors John Boorman, and Hugh Hudson (Part 1)

Trailers:

-Announcement trailer

-Theatrical trailer

Extras:

DISC TWO

*The Film (Part 2 - 98:28 min)

Audio commentary with Lady Sandra Lean, actress Sarah Miles, Petrine Day Mitchum (Robert Mitchum's daughter), assistant director Michael Stevenson, second unit director Roy Stevens, art director Roy Walker, assistant editor Tony Lawson, location manager Eddie Fowlie, stuntman Vic Armstrong, biographer Stephen M. Silverman, film critic Richard Schickel, and directors John Boorman, and Hugh Hudson (Part 2)

"The Making of Ryan's Daughter" -documentary (35th Anniversary):

-Rising Storm (27:46 min)

-Storm Chaser (20:55 min)

-The Eye of the Storm (14:11 min)

"We're the Last of the Traveling Circuses" -vintage featurette (20:02 min)

"Ryan's Daughter: A Story of Love" -vintage featurette (6:14 min)

Subtitles:

TBC

Aspect Ratio:

Picture Format:

Anamorphic

TV System:

PAL

Soundtrack(s):

French Dolby Digital 5.1

Italian Dolby Digital 5.1

Case type:

2-Disc Keep Case

R2 SE United Kingdom - (Warner Bros Home Entertainment)

Extras:

DISC 1

*The Film (Part 1)

Trailers:

- Announcement Trailer (2:15)

- Theatrical Trailer (2:49)

DISC 2

*The Film (Part 2)

"The Making of Ryan's Daughter" 2006 documentary (Play all 62:56):

- Ryan's Daughter: Rising Storm (27:48)

- Ryan's Daughter: Storm Chaser (20:55)

- Ryan's Daughter: The Eye of the Storm (14:12)

"We're the Last of the Travelling Circuses" 1970 featurette (20:03)

"Ryan's Daughter: A Story of Love" 1970 featurette (6:14)

Subtitles:

Croatian, Czech, Danish, English, English HoH, Finnish, German, German HoH, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish

Aspect Ratio:

Picture Format:

Anamorphic

TV System:

PAL

Soundtrack(s):

German Dolby Digital 5.1

Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1

Case type:

2-Disc Keep Case

Notes:

Also region 5 encoded.

Packaging incorrectly states an aspect ratio of 2.40:1.

Disc one starts with a skippable anti-piracy ad.

OVERALL: Draw

Only minor language and subtitle differences.

CUTS:

o R1 SE America- Warner Bros Home Entertainment - No cuts, 206:15 min - NTSC (inc. “Overture”, “Intermission”, “Entr'acte”, and “Exit Music").

o R2 SE Holland- Warner Bros Home Entertainment - No cuts (inc. “Overture”, “Intermission”, “Entr'acte”, and “Exit Music").

o R2 SE United Kingdom- Warner Bros Home Entertainment - No cuts (198:02 PAL) (inc. “Overture”, “Intermission”, “Entr'acte”, and “Exit Music")

Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your help.I think I will stick with the region 2.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    The only time I know of when "Ryan's Daughter" was cut was when I saw it at a US revival theater in Los Angeles in the '80's. After the titles the film cut straight to Tim O'Leary's meeting with and shooting of the policeman.

Apart from that I don't think the film has been cut for home video. Certainly not the region 1 and the region 2 would be from the same telecine source.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pickard
    The only time I know of when "Ryan's Daughter" was cut was when I saw it at a US revival theater in Los Angeles in the '80's. After the titles the film cut straight to Tim O'Leary's meeting with and shooting of the policeman.

Apart from that I don't think the film has been cut for home video. Certainly not the region 1 and the region 2 would be from the same telecine source.
    The first US video release of Ryan's Daughter is quite a bit shorter than the recent DVD. I think the cuts happened here after the roadshow release in 1970 was not the great success it was expected to be (in other words - not another Doctor Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia). When it was released on showcase in 1971 it was shorter. I may be wrong about that - but I think that was the case.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Thanks TimR, that's the first I've heard of it.

Senior Member Country: England cumberbatches_woman's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    i agree totaly with what Brian Boru has said here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12