Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walton Studios

Liked
    0 times
    (Merton Park @ Feb 1 2006, 03:54 PM)

I believe she also made The Buccaneers, Colonel March of Scotland Yard(anyone got any episodes?) Lancelot, The Four Just Men & Sword of Freedom. All great TV shows from the fifties and sixties.

She had, and ran with her son, a restaurant club in Curzon Street called The White Elephant, and one on The Embankment . They had a big film crowd as patrons. Best Caeser's salad in London by a mile, until it closed.
    Obviously a fascinating woman. Her daughter Paula Weinstein is a major producer in Hollywood today (Monster in Law, Analyze This, The Perfect Storm), after spending years as a studio executive. She's also involved in political activities.

Has anything substantial been written about Hannah Weinstein -- book, article?

Liked
    0 times
    (AndrewLA @ Feb 3 2006, 08:11 PM)

Obviously a fascinating woman. Her daughter Paula Weinstein is a major producer in Hollywood today (Monster in Law, Analyze This, The Perfect Storm), after spending years as a studio executive. She's also involved in political activities.

Has anything substantial been written about Hannah Weinstein -- book, article?
    Hi there.

I couldn't find anything very substantial but I did find a mini-biography of her at the BFI Screenonline site:

Screen Online - Hannah Weinstein

There's also references to her in sites covering specific TV shows.

Hope this helps .

Cheers.

Iain

Liked
    0 times
    (Iain1962 @ Feb 5 2006, 08:10 PM)

Hi there.

I couldn't find anything very substantial but I did find a mini-biography of her at the BFI Screenonline site:

Screen Online - Hannah Weinstein

There's also references to her in sites covering specific TV shows.

Hope this helps .

Cheers.

Iain
    Thanks, Iain. That's a nice summary of her life, though it left me wanting to read much more. Interesting that virtually none of her shows, except THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, lasted more than a year. The historical adventure genre really seemed to swamp TV in those days, and maybe all those shows cancelled each other out. In Norma Barzman's autobiography, there's a brief mention of Hannah Weinstein -- apparently, her first effort for British TV was a pilot for a series about the French Resistance that was never sold, starring Suzanne Flon and directed by John Berry. She teamed up with Berry decades later on CLAUDINE. Seems to me that Weinstein's long overdue for her own biography.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    (Steve Crook @ May 10 2005, 03:42 PM)

The most famous film made at Walton Studios was probably I Was Monty's Double (1958).

Never heard of it? In that case you definitely won't have heard of the others that were made there

There were also the Nettlefold Studios in Walton (were they actually different places?)

That's where Alastair Sim made Scrooge (1951) and Michael Powell made some of his Quota Quickies.

Steve
    Nettlefold and Walton studios Are, I believe, the same. In the late fourties an early fifties, I worked as an AD to John Baxter, who made comedies with Frank Randell. What happened to John Baxter?

Latter at Nettlefold I was lucky enough to Be given the opportunity to start directing fim. E.S Laurie, I seem to remember, was the man making decisions. A good, friendly, and helpful man to know. Geofffrey Faithfull, was the in house cinematographer. Another great humanbeing. I was allowed to cut my teeth on the Edgar Wallace series of films. "B" they may be, but I am proud of them; and I hope all those who helped me feel the same way.

John Llewellyn

Liked
    45 times
    (smudge @ May 11 2005, 12:32 PM)

Cheers Sturm -

Yes, it holds a sad fascination. Used to live not far away for a while (long after the studios had gone though.)

Was down at Elstree 1991 when they cleared 2/3rds of the site for TESCO (Damn Brent Walker !) If anyone else has local news reports of that coming down I'd be interested too.

I remeber all too well LIME GROVE going and they had that day of celebration at the BBC - what did you work as ?

SMUDGE
    Smudge!! I have great memories of Nettlfold. It was there that I cut my teeth as a fledgling director.

As for Lime Grove I worked and directed there too.

All the best...John Llewellyn

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (John llewellyn Moxey @ Apr 1 2006, 06:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Smudge!! I have great memories of Nettlfold. It was there that I cut my teeth as a fledgling director.

As for Lime Grove I worked and directed there too.

All the best...John Llewellyn

[/b]

Do tell ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

SMUDGE

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/vampire.gif[/img]

Liked
    151 times
    (smudge @ Apr 1 2006, 07:38 AM)

Do tell !

And don't forget that Walton blurb you have for me!

Liked
    114 times
    (DB7 @ Apr 1 2006, 11:54 AM)

And don't forget that Walton blurb you have for me!
    I haven't forgotten it - it just has to be unearthed ! Sometimes it's worse than Steptoe's parlour here - in fact Mrs. Smudge would say MOST times !

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    (John llewellyn Moxey @ Apr 1 2006, 06:41 AM)

Nettlefold and Walton studios Are, I believe, the same. In the late fourties an early fifties, I worked as an AD to John Baxter, who made comedies with Frank Randell. What happened to John Baxter?

Latter at Nettlefold I was lucky enough to Be given the opportunity to start directing fim. E.S Laurie, I seem to remember, was the man making decisions. A good, friendly, and helpful man to know. Geofffrey Faithfull, was the in house cinematographer. Another great humanbeing. I was allowed to cut my teeth on the Edgar Wallace series of films. "B" they may be, but I am proud of them; and I hope all those who helped me feel the same way.

John Llewellyn
    Lots of fans of the Edgar Wallace Mysteries around here John

Liked
    114 times

John Llewellyn
    John Baxter left us in 1975, aged about 78. One of my favorite films of his is SONG OF THE ROAD, set in the depression era, about a man and his horse who take to the road looking for work. Simply charming.

As to the EDGAR WALLACE series, they have quite a following these days (as various members of this board will testify to.) I am sure we'd all enjoy hearing any tales of life at Merton Park whilst making them. I understand it was an 'interesting' studio to work in ; lots of pillars that you had to work around...

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times

John Llewellyn
    Hello John,

Welcome to the forum. There are many of us who look forward with interest to your future postings, given the wealth of anecdotal material you must possess.

regards,

Alan G

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    John,

Fascinating. I'm also a fan of the Edgar Wallace series. Did you have any involvement with Edgar Lustgarten or the Scotland Yards series?

Liked
    0 times
    And let me add another welcoming voice to John. Some years ago, I wanted him to direct a TV movie vampire script for CBS, but he was unavailable. One of the greastest regrets of my professional life. We went with a big name cult director, and the result was horrible. John would have made it work.

Liked
    0 times
    (Sturmvogel @ May 11 2005, 12:13 PM)

I will look the footage out-it's on a low band tape so I hope it's still OK-it was nothing special as far as shooting goes-about three minutes worth of half pulled down buildings, but if you knew the place it could be interesting-just like any movie or stills footage of Lime Grove studios being destroyed is fascinating to me as I used to work there in the 1970's.
    Just read this message.

Coincidentally someone just gave me a DVD called The Lime Grove Story. have you seen it?

I think it has been transferred from VHS

Liked
    0 times
    Hi All

Found this topic very interesting reading.

I act as the webmaster for The Adventures of Robin Hood Appreciation Society website and am after images and stories about the studies, particularly the Weinstein era and looking to supplement the information we currently have published on the site.

Mike

Liked
    45 times
    (Wee Sonny MacGregor @ Apr 6 2006, 06:06 AM)

John,

Fascinating. I'm also a fan of the Edgar Wallace series. Did you have any involvement with Edgar Lustgarten or the Scotland Yards series?
    I did not have any experience with either the Scotland Yard, orThe Lustgarten series. John

Liked
    45 times
    (AndrewLA @ Apr 6 2006, 07:04 PM)

And let me add another welcoming voice to John. Some years ago, I wanted him to direct a TV movie vampire script for CBS, but he was unavailable. One of the greastest regrets of my professional life. We went with a big name cult director, and the result was horrible. John would have made it work.
    \Thanks for the offer..I wish I could have done it. John

Liked
    7 times
    Walton (Nettlefold) studios:

British Pathe - FILM FANFARE - NO 9 - part 2

Liked
    7 times

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12