Hell Drivers - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Drivers

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I am putting together a selection of 15 1950s Tipper photos for ROADSCENE magazine in a few weeks' time. Would anyone like to peruse some and make comments about the loading / discharging procedures etc. please?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Automotivehistorian, is Roadscene magazine available in newsagents? I have never seen it on sale in our area which is a rural backwater!! I used to get the mag on subscription many years ago but would like to get the issue with the Tipper photographs.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi PF! WH Smith's should have plenty of copies although they are not everywhere! If you ask your newsagent then they can get you a copy..it's distributed through Ian Allan I think BUTTTTT you can buy copies online or contact my colleague

peter@transpenninepublishing.co.uk

and ask for a copy or better still a subscription! It's now a monthly magazine.

I have to say that myself and my colleagues are alwasy interested in vehicles in films and in fact a friend used to organise the HCVS (Historic Commercial Vehicle Society) list of available commercials for films etc.

Now does anyone know of a film that was apparently made at the same time more or less as HD featuring an 8-wheeler Leyland? It sounds like a film about a cross-country lorry driver.

Liked
    0 times
    IIf the films opening scenes fratured a BMC FG Box van, I believe it was called "Hijack"".

It was made in the early 1960's.Also featured a Thames Trader artic

Liked
    0 times
    A bit off topic so will be brief. Went to Commercial Vehicle Show at NEC yesterday and signed up for a Vintage Roadscene subsciption. Also V.R magazine had organised many restored commercial vehicles from the 1940's onwards on display throughout the show: Well done!

Strangely no Parrott nosed Dodge tippers from "Hawletts" though.........

Liked
    0 times
    Don't know who did win the set[s]!

I am pleased to advise that in ROADSCENE 103 we shall be offering a DVD player plus the HELL DRIVERS DVD. There will be 15 Hell Drivers style photos in issue 104, which I have just selected. One photo that I chose was owned by HAWLEY Bros.!

I recently came across some photos of trucks belonging to the Feltham Sand & Gravel Company...I suspect that they operated out of the gravel pits just off Bedfont Lane next to Southville Schools. Now covered by houses. A kiddie drowned in one pit very many years ago. By the way that's Feltham in Middlesex!

Junior Member Country: Guam
    Liked
    0 times
    Hopefully it may interest someone that WW Drinkwaters, who along with Saunders, provided the Dodge tippers for the film , are featured in a book about Londons tippers, called From Dawn Til Dust, available through [url=http://www.tipperlorries.com]From Dawn Til Dust - Haulin' London's Rubbish published by upfront publishing www. Tipperlorries.com �19.99. I loved Trapper Diesels post about Johnny Galloway. I was lucky enough to work with Johnny when I first started at McGoverns. He was a gentle giant, able to lift an 11.00 tyre and rim above his head. He taught me to drive a Foden, properly. He was a top, top man. I never heard anyone say a bad word about him. Happy times

Liked
    0 times
    We were selling the books on our stand and they sold well!

Liked
    0 times
    Another still has been found by Yours Truly that is excellent:

Image Zoom

Can I confirm what capacity these tippers were? 6 cu yds, 7 cu yds or 8 cu yds? The 8 cu yd ones were I think much larger, heavier trucks. I reckon these ate the 6 cu yd ones, the legal limit then?

Liked
    0 times
    The HD trucks were, I can now confirm, Model 103P6 as they had the Perkins P6 diesel engines as agaunst the Dodge/Chrysler slant-six petrol. Gross Vehicle Weight was 18,500 lbs, Gross Combination Weight 27,000 lbs. That's a 3.8 ton load. However a known tipper had "Tare 4 Tons 6 Cwt" on its body. However, different tyres may have allowed the overload. Basically they were four-tonners, carrying 6 cu yds, but in reality, say five tons and 7 cu yds or more in some cases when drivers/hauliers added wooden board extensions to increase capacity. All very illegal.

Liked
    0 times
    In ROADSCENE magazine, issue 104 about to come out in a few days' time, a DVD of the film is being offered as a prize together with a DVD player. There are also 14 shots of 1950s tippers, selected by Yours Truly. It was fun doing the captions! There is one shot with three women tipper drivers! I confess I had no idea, outside wartime, that this ever went on.

Liked
    0 times
    in some cases when drivers/hauliers added wooden board extensions to increase capacity. All very illegal.
    Hi, In the mid-1950's Marco's of Hampton Road, Croydon. used to have several body extentions stored on the roof of there single story offices, which would be easily slipped onto the rear of the tippers to increase the capacity from maybe 5 cu yards to 7 cu. yards. I can't remember if this was illegal or not but it allowed the trucks to carry larger loads of lighter material such as coke from the gas works or rubbish from shops and factories etc Marco's were not Dodge users at the time they used Bedfords untill the larger LAD cabbed Dodge was produced.

I seem to remember a husband and wife team both driving their own tipper in the Kinston and Teddington area, it was well over 50 years ago now but I think both trucks were light blue in colour with no livery, and they may have been the older snub nosed prewar Dodge. Can anyone else remember them?

All the best Sid.

Liked
    0 times
    The HD trucks were, I can now confirm, Model 103P6 as they had the Perkins P6 diesel engines as agaunst the Dodge/Chrysler slant-six petrol. Gross Vehicle Weight was 18,500 lbs, Gross Combination Weight 27,000 lbs. That's a 3.8 ton load. However a known tipper had "Tare 4 Tons 6 Cwt" on its body. However, different tyres may have allowed the overload. Basically they were four-tonners, carrying 6 cu yds, but in reality, say five tons and 7 cu yds or more in some cases when drivers/hauliers added wooden board extensions to increase capacity. All very illegal.
    Not disputing your info at all, but my Father who was Fleet Maimtenance Foreman for a firm running a large fleet of Dodges in the fifties told me they had an ex-Drinkwaters Dodge that had been re-bodied as a Bulk Cement Carrier. It was of a slightly longer wheelbase then the 103s in use although not the 105 long wheelbase model. Also to make it different it had a Perkins R6 as opposed to the P6. It prodused a distinctive whistling sound when ticking over.

The Dodge used in the photograph with all the actors is without a doubt a 103.

Liked
    0 times
    Not disputing your info at all, but my Father who was Fleet Maimtenance Foreman for a firm running a large fleet of Dodges in the fifties told me they had an ex-Drinkwaters Dodge that had been re-bodied as a Bulk Cement Carrier. It was of a slightly longer wheelbase then the 103s in use although not the 105 long wheelbase model. Also to make it different it had a Perkins R6 as opposed to the P6. It produced a distinctive whistling sound when ticking over.

The Dodge used in the photograph with all the actors is without a doubt a 103.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi I have drove many R6's in my time and as I recall the only time that they actually whistled was when the butterfly spindle was worn or the vacum pipe that runs from the inlet manifold where the butterfly is, down to the back of the diesel pump, was slack as they used to slack them off so that it drawed the diaphram back in the pump for more speed, and that would make it whistle faintly. The engine that used to whistle was a Leyland Comet fitted in Dodges, S-type Bedfords e.t.c. You say that the film was speeded up with a Dodge to 50mph, if someone actually knew what they were doing by setting the pumps up and the injectors then they would laugh at 50 MPH. I had a 1940's Bedford with a tilt cab converted from a Bedford 27 HP petrol engine to a P6 with a 10 yard body on it and I used to carry 8 ton of wet ash on it, a Bedford S type 300 petrol couldnt keep up with it. The speedo only went up to 30 MPH, and I used to go from Colnbrook load it at 12.00am to Southminster back to Colnbrook load on then to Swindon in 6 1/2 hours!! with an old heap of iron. With todays traffic I wouldnt be able to do 1 load. They stopped 5 of our lorries in the middle of the night at Reading and said that they had been watching them through the night and told all the drivers to lift their foot up, and as they let them go they said that they would catch their mate and give him a good telling off and one of the drivers said im not being funny officer but I hope your police car can go!! At the time I was empty and I knew that they were coming after me and I had what I thought was a 15 minuite start on them and I said to myself you have got to go to catch this, then I thought to myself that I wouldnt get through Reading but I took a Chance and I kept on trapping her on and trapping her on and eventually I got to Colnbrook and I was backing under the hopper and I saw the headlights come in the yard and there were two more of our lorries parked there with their side lights on and I was the only driver there at the time that they could see. They asked me if I had just come from Swindon, by now I knew they never had no registration of my vehicle so I said to the officer why is that then, he said because one of your drivers must be jet propelled he said that they had given chase to catch him before he got here and I said to the officers Im not being funny but you must have stalled didnt you!!! He just stood there amazed and started laughing he said just do yourself a favour because next time we will book you. People gave P6's a bad name in their day, that they were bad starters and that they were no good even with Kye gas, easy start, setolene guns down the induction e.t.c. because the early P6 didnt have a cold start on the diesel pump all it had was a fuel adjuster on the back of the diesel pump. I converted the fuel stop into a cold start which Perkins, CAV e.t.c. copied the pattern for, and with a good old set of Daganight batteries in their varnished cases or any other good battery they were bang on first go. Half of them that you used to see on the road had bits of rope wrapped around the front of them for towing or old chains it was only because of the set up of the batteries on them that gave them problems with starting. I have seen firms take batteries off that are useless and they would keep charging them every night, even though they tested them and they were no good and I have seen big Haulage firms with greenies on the injector pipe to join a blown injector pipe. Tippers had boards going around the body at the top to carry extra weight or yard on them and they were called in my day greedy boards. Sorry to go on but I could remminise all night !!!! Im open to offers if anyone wants to write a book I could give them the stories!!!

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, Trapper D.

I enjoyed your last posting, great stuff! But why wait for someone else to write that book? Start today, write it all down yourself, leave all your memories for others to read in years to come!

I can tell from your writings that there is a really enthusiastic story teller there, and I can assure you there are thousands of us out here who would love to read your tails.

One of my tales goes back to about 1954, when they were turning Biggin Hill Aerodrome into a private Airport, they had to extent the runways by severel hundred yards, which ment filling in part of the valley that runs to the westen side of the site, The boards went up outside the main gate for hardcore etc Free tipping, My Father and one of my Brother began to use it to shoot their muck away loads, and it was very handy for Sevenoaks Pits, Moorhouse, Bletchingly, Fullers Earth, and Redhill Brick works, all on the old A25. Well as a 9 years old lad I was over the moon when I was ask if I wanted to drive the truck! it became a habit for my Brother to allow me to drive his tipper across the air-strip once we were inside the main gate, he would just stand on the running board and watch me, you can understand my joy at this, after all what could I hit? I was so sorry when the tip closed. All the best Sid.

Liked
    0 times
    The trucks were we now know dark bottle green Kew Dodge 103P chassis with Perkins P6 engines, and the utility ABH 700 was a 1955 Standard Vanguard Phase 1 Pick-up.

Ford airfield site is of course still there, partly under the open prison, partly under industrial units, and partly agriculture, though the Government are suggesting a new Eco-town could be/will be built there. Ford airfield was in fact acquired by (Henry) Ford in 1929 to run a Ford Tri-motor aerial service! Later it became a RAF, UAAAF and Fleet Air Arm base.

Junior Member Country: Guam
    Liked
    0 times
    I have recently got hold of 12 black and white shots of 843 844 and 845 DMX when they were a couple of weeks old, and painted in the WW Drinkwaters livery which was dark green and black wings with white signwriting. The shots were taken in the early fifties at the Drinkwater quarry at Denham in Bucks and show them being loaded and tipped.Unfortunatly no permission has been given for them to be reprinted,so I cant show them here but they are great shots. Drinkwaters, who operated about 50 of these Dodges supplied all the Dodges in the film except for one which was operated by Saunders. In the film where one of them gets stuck in a ditch and rocks the wagon back and forth to get out, the name of Drinkwaters company secretary can be seen signwritten on the bottom of the passenger door. It was filmed during the Suez crisis so to save fuel rather than bring all the wagons back to the company HQ in Willesden every night , one tipper was fitted with a tarp and the drivers hitched a lift in the back of it, the rest of the Dodges being parked at Pinewood.

Liked
    0 times
    The normal-control Kew Dodges as depictred were history by 1956, i.e. Suez, as Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd in Dagenham closed their cab contracts for Ford's Thames ET6, Guy, Dodge, Leyland, and instead BMC, Ford (Thames), Dodge, Commer and possibly Leylands, went to Willenhall for a NC cab. However it was obvious that FC was the way to go, and Drinkwaters acquired new LAD (Leyland-Albion-Dodge) cabbed Forward Control Dodges with up to 9 cu yd bodies.

Liked
    0 times
    Couple of points, am i right in thinking that Briggs was taken over by Ford. Also Pre Thames Trader a Commer FC cab was fitted to a Ford 4 wheel drive GS truck/WD/Army abulance.

I had a Matchbox model as a lad also remember bonneted tippers around mainly Bedfords and ET6 and the odd Comet but these vehicles were run by small operators or local councils.

In the yard adjacent to where I kept my pony the owner had a couple of Bedford 5 ton petrol tippers one with a screw mechanism to tip the body. They seemed fairly fast.

I certainly remember the LAD cabs and similar Austin/Morris . A few years later the M23 was started and it was like the second coming of the Hell Drivers! mainly 6 & 8 wheelers then though.Also the Graders and Motor Scrapers were driven on the roads between sites.It certainly livened the area up but thats another story.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast