Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

A few years ago, I had watched a British televised sci-fi movie, which I would like to watch again but I am not aware of its title. Those who are expert in the field of British TV will most probably identify it. This colour movie was produced early in the eighties, perhaps in 1982, and was of a low budget, the effects and settings strongly resembling those of Doctor Who. The action took place inside a spaceship crossing a region of the Solar System and among the various crew members were a moustached protagonist, an Indian woman, a brown-haired woman

(in her thirties) and a very arrogant and bad-tempered scientist (wearing glasses and of about 50-55 years old). A scene featured this scientist trying to safely direct the spaceship through the perilous asteroid belt, while in the end we see the moustached protagonist very slowly drifting through space.

I want to see again this dodgy movie because it was so unbelievably sluggish and stupidly sophisticated, that it became ridiculous and mercilessly funny. Those who worked for this worthless piece of television aimed at producing a wise and thought-provoking masterpiece (some crew members even strive to solve the mystery of life) but it is obvious that they just messed it up. If available on VHS, I encourage us to get the videocassette (provided that it is sold at a reasonable price); most, if not all, will have fun watching it.

Worth noting that this movie was not a Doctor Who production nor a Space 1999 episode (in fact, those two are recognised as sci-fi classics in many parts of the world).

If you can identify this movie or if you know British low-budget sci-fi colour productions irrelevant to the aforementioned movie, please mention it or offer any help. Thanks for reading this message.

Liked
    0 times
    Could it be Disney's The Black Hole?

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by arty-dave@May 23 2005, 05:18 PM

Could it be Disney's The Black Hole?
    After having searched for photos of The Black Hole over the Internet and having visited relevant sites, with certainty I know that the Black Hole is not the unknown British sci-fi movie I am looking for. Although the result of my quest was not satisfactory I appreciate your help, arty-dave. It seems that I will watch again this completely obscure movie only after my death, in the absolute dark.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Have you looked up Blake's 7 ??? it did have a variety of cast similar, but not identical , to those you mention...

Liked
    0 times
    Blake's 7 was never a film

Liked
    0 times
    Blake's 7 is probably the BBC's third most successful science fiction programme and was produced in the Seventies and in 1980-1981, whereas the movie I am looking for was probably produced in 1982. Moreover, Blake's 7 still has fans, which means it is still valued and has a certain quality. I doubt that the BBC would have ever created a sci-fi movie (because it is a movie, perhaps a telefilm, not an episode and as arty-dave pointed out the Blake'7 franchise had never produced a movie) as bad and pseudo-sophisticated as the one I am seeking. Finally, I have seen pictures of Blake's 7 on the Internet and although they remind one of the old British sci-fi productions, none of them has rung a bell. I repeat however that, despite the quest being hopeless, every help is appreciated.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Could it be ANDROID (US 1983) with Klaus Kinski as the arrogant, bad-tempered scientist ?

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    If you SAW this in around '83, then it would have been made in the late 70's - there was a four year embargo on films on tv back then....or did you already take this into account??

Liked
    151 times
    Years out and wrong language but reminds me of First Spaceship on Venus. (author also penned the tedious Solaris)

Liked
    0 times
    'Blake's 7' did indeed result in the production of a short film. 'Blake's Junction 7', released in 2004 and starring the increasingly popular Martin Freeman (as Vila), observed what happened when the crew of the Liberator stopped at Newport Pagnell services on the M1.

Jennie

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Hugo@Jun 3 2005, 11:57 PM

Could it be ANDROID (US* 1983) with Klaus Kinski as the arrogant, bad-tempered scientist
    Years out and wrong language but reminds me of First Spaceship on Venus. (author also penned the tedious Solaris)
    Once again, I looked for pictures of the movies you suggest, this time of Android (US 1983) and First Spaceship on Venus, I found some, but none of them is derived from the Unknown sci-fi telemovie. Moreover, their differences in the plot also lead me to conclude that sadly they are not what I am looking for. When it comes to First Spaceship on Venus it was written indeed by the author of Solaris but was produced about two decades before the unknown movie in question.

If you SAW this in around '83, then it would have been made in the late 70's - there was a four year embargo on films on tv back then....or did you already take this into account??
    I first watched the unknown movie a few years ago, most probably in 2002.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie_Kermode
    'Blake's 7' did indeed result in the production of a short film. 'Blake's Junction 7', released in 2004 and starring the increasingly popular Martin Freeman (as Vila), observed what happened when the crew of the Liberator stopped at Newport Pagnell services on the M1.

Jennie

I recall that there was a kind of TV film of Blakes 7 were they edited the footage from the entire TV series (or the entire 2 or 3 or however many series there were) down into a 2 hour (or so) long TV movie. I remember watching it with my mum one afternoon (I think). Not really that helpful I'm afraid.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    It does sound very much like the Polish film First Spaceship on Venus, as DB7 has pointed out, especially with the philosophising of the astronauts. It does not appear to have been on Newtwork Television in the last 20 years.

Does the planet 'attack' the crew? At one point hot earth pushes up the spiral ramp of another ship at a very quick pace.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Was it this Charles Crichton directed TV film?

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW GUIDE

The Day After Tomorrow: Into Infinity (1976)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm positive that it is the The Day After Tomorrow aka Into Infinity 1976. This was a Gerry Anderson production and the bad-tempered scientist was Brian Blessed. It aired on the BBC in 1976 and was repeated in the 80s. It was shot on film and had the same production values as Space 1999. Check the fanderson site for more details and screen shots to see if it jogs your memory. Good news - its available as an official DVD from the same site. Bad news - bit pricey.