Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Can anybody identify the Cornwall location used in this film?

Liked
    0 times
    I always knew this information would come in handy some day. According to info in an old Kine Weekly trade magazine I used to have, the location scenes for the film were shot in and around the old village of Zennor in Cornwall. This village was used for the Porthcarron of the story. The records of the church seen in the film go back to 1271.

Liked
    153 times
    Originally posted by DAVID RAYNER@May 30 2005, 07:35 AM

I always knew this information would come in handy some day. According to info in an old Kine Weekly trade magazine I used to have, the location scenes for the film were shot in and around the old village of Zennor in Cornwall. This village was used for the Porthcarron of the story. The records of the church seen in the film go back to 1271.

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

Thankyou for the information, David.

Liked
    153 times
    [quote=Stephen Pickard,May 30 2005, 11:15 AM]

Thankyou for the information, David.

David Rayner:

[/According to info in an old Kine Weekly trade magazine I used to have.....]

Those Kine Weekly's were a goldmine for such information. Fortunately I kept all mine which run from 1963 to the end.

Incidentally, do any of you know that the library close to Colindale tube station has every Kine Weekly going back to the year dot! I was in there a couple of years ago one afternoon, and wish I had spent a week in there. The Kine issues I looked at were in mint condition. I would definately recommend anybody who is able to get along there to go and take a look.

Liked
    0 times
    Too far for me to travel, Stephen. I just wish my Central Library here in Stoke-on-Trent had a collection like that. A comprehenshive collection of issues of the Radio Times and TV Times going back to the 1950's at least would also be a boon for researchers.

Regarding Kine Weekly (or Kinematrograph Weekly as it was known before around 1960), the best place in the magazine for finding out the kind of info regarding where films were shot was a section called On Location. This was always accompanied by at least one still of the location in question.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by DAVID RAYNER@Jun 24 2005, 07:46 AM

Too far for me to travel, Stephen. I just wish my Central Library here in Stoke-on-Trent had a collection like that. A comprehenshive collection of issues of the Radio Times and TV Times going back to the 1950's at least would also be a boon for researchers.

Don't feel too bad David. The library at Colindale isn't a regular public library. It's the National archive of Newspapers and Magazines and is a part of the British Library.

See their web site.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    (Stephen Pickard @ May 30 2005, 04:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Liked
    0 times
    (Stephen Pickard @ May 30 2005, 04:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
    This is one of my favourite films,I remember seeing it in the 60s and on the cinema screen the location shots of Cornwall were fabulous.With four fine actors in Keiron Moore,Hazel Court,Ian Hunter and Kenneth J Warren I believe this is an excellent film and definatly underated.

I have been trying to obtain a address to write to Keiron Moore to tell him how much I have enjoyed his films but to no avail.

Can anyone help? also does anyone know if its possible to purchase this on DVD?

Thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    (Wyrleymon1 @ Nov 11 2005, 09:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

This is one of my favourite films,I remember seeing it in the 60s and on the cinema screen the location shots of Cornwall were fabulous.With four fine actors in Keiron Moore,Hazel Court,Ian Hunter and Kenneth J Warren I believe this is an excellent film and definatly underated.

I have been trying to obtain a address to write to Keiron Moore to tell him how much I have enjoyed his films but to no avail.

Can anyone help? also does anyone know if its possible to purchase this on DVD?

Thanks.

[/b]

Hi there.

Since the title's cropped up I thought that I would take this opporunity to blatantly plug my review of Dr Blood's Coffin on my website:

My Webpage

I think that, apart from a really good cast (especially Kieron Moore) the Cornish locations are the movie's best feature and lend the film a unique visual quality. Nicolas Roeg was the operating cameraman on this work.

Furie shot a companion piece to this film called The Snake Woman. I've never seen the film in any form and apparently the complete version of it is now considered lost. Or does anyone know any different?

Cheers.

Iain

Hair in the Gate - reviews of artefacts from the world of B-picture, exploitation and DTV entertainment:

My Webpage