Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    I heard a rumour that Richard Lester originally wanted this to be a full on comedy starring The Beatles!

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    I heard a rumour that Richard Lester originally wanted this to be a full on comedy starring The Beatles!
    The producers wanted this until someone pointed out that the Fab Four had split up. It's possible that's why they asked Lester to direct after Tony Richardson turned it down.

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for this Stefan. My family and I enjoyed the first two which are available now for streaming here in the States. (Amazon). I didn't realize there was a third. It's sad that the production was so plagued with problems and safety issues. It's a really good cast and is one of the better adaptations of the novel, I think.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    To be honest, the third isn't quite up to the first two. I have it on DVD recorded from Virgin, which showed it twice. Its never, as far as I'm aware, been issued on DVD, apart from the French boxset which Stefan told me about on this thread. Now the first two are available in Blu Ray, which sounds excellent.

If you are after something similar in style to the first two films, check out the BBC's 'The Musketeers', now in its 2nd season in the UK. Very much in the tradition of the films, a good cast, and great fun.

Member Country: United States Jennythenipper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    To be honest, the third isn't quite up to the first two. I have it on DVD recorded from Virgin, which showed it twice. Its never, as far as I'm aware, been issued on DVD, apart from the French boxset which Stefan told me about on this thread. Now the first two are available in Blu Ray, which sounds excellent.

If you are after something similar in style to the first two films, check out the BBC's 'The Musketeers', now in its 2nd season in the UK. Very much in the tradition of the films, a good cast, and great fun.
    Sounds like it's not worth going to the trouble for that third film. The BBC's Musketeers is in our TV viewing queue, thanks. Nice to see it recommended by someone familiar with the 70s films.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12