Liked
    151 times
    Latest Ripley film never to see light of day?

Posted on Fri, 24-Jun-2005

http://www.moviehole.net/

"Ripley Under Ground", another book to film transfer featuring the devious character Tom Ripley, and starring Barry Pepper in the role previously played by sandy-haired Matt Damon in "The Talented Mr Ripley" and John Malkovich in "Ripley's Game", may never be released, says one of the film's stars.

Tom Wilkinson filmed the movie quite a few moons back, he tells Hit, and there's no sign of a release anytime soon.

"It doesn't even have a distribution deal and it doesn't look like it will get one, so that's that", says the actor.

Granted, "Under Ground" did have a home at one stage. Lions Gate Intl. had picked up international sales rights to it at one stage. The film, which also stars Alan Cumming, Jacinda Barrett, Claire Forlani, Ian Hart and Willem Dafoe, was acquired from German media funder Cinerenta GmbH.

Directed by Roger Spottiswoode, "Under Ground" tells of a hot young artist who is killed and a resourceful Ripley, livng in London, who covers up the crime and tries to keep the friend's name alive in order to exploit his legacy and reap millions in the process.

Those that have caught the film say it's almost a dark comedy in contrast to the other "Ripley" films which were more edge-of-the-seat suspense thrillers.

Liked
    0 times
    I thought there was a lot of comedy in the other Ripley films, though it was balanced by tragedy and by an astute understanding of human weakness. Whilst I might have looked forward to this one (and I do hope it eventually sees the light of day), I would have been nervous going to see it, not wanting it to spoil my appreciation of its predecassors (including, of course, 'Plein Soleil').

Jennie