Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I haven't splashed out for Bedazzled (1967) as yet. I was wondering what the extras on it are like. If anyone knows of a review anywhere or has splashed out themselves and would like to give their view on it.

Thanks,

A

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello!

There are two extra features on this DVD. One is a half hour interview with Barry Humphries, the other an on-set Cook and Moore item.

Humphries tells us about his own beginnings and then talks us through his association with Peter Cook. It's interesting enough and seems honest and realistic. The Cook/Moore item consists of Moore interviewing Cook as Satan. It's all seemingly completely off the cuff and very amusing it is too.

A Cook and Moore enthusiast like me will gladly take any material that's available. When the transfer quality of the actual film is so beautiful, this DVD is not to be missed.

Ted

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's a (slightly less than generous) review http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57798 and here's a link to the best price (i've found) http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/v2/dvd...0000102425.asp

Worth £12.41 of anyone's money! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img] I love this film....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info guys [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Cheers,

A

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    With the Region-1 release of BEDAZZLED soon upon North America, I am SHOCKED at the idiocy of the DVD cover's art and statements:

Amazon.com: Bedazzled: DVD: Peter Cook,Dudley Moore,Eleanor Bron,Raquel Welch,Alba,Robert Russell (II),Barry Humphries,Parnell McGarry,Danièle Noël,Howard Goorney,Michael Bates,Bernard Spear,Robin Hawdon,Michael Trubshawe,Evelyn Moore,Charles Lloyd P

I know they want to put cleavage wherever possible, and I'm sure the choice was "To make the Cook-Moore image larger, or Raquel's cleavage larger?" And we KNOW which one will draw more attention from the male buyers in Amerca.

OK. Fine. The fact that she's got - what? 4 or 5 appearances, barely more than 20 seconds per appearance - has nothing to do with it. The American consumer is used to being lied to by images versus content. So no buyer will complain that her twice-the-image-size is a lie to the proportion of the screen-time she gets.

My BIGGEST complaint, however, is the marketing blurb,

"SMARTLY STYLED".

Who in the world would EVER claim that? Why would any marketing person EVER print that? What the heck does it mean? Raquel's hair is smartly styled? Her beads are smartly styled? Cook's hair is? Dudley's apron?

When a MALE PROSPECT sees this cover and sees Raquel, her legs and cleavage - yum yum. Then he reads, "Smartly styled".

Uh. What's he going to think? "Gee, my homophobia kicks in and I'll just put it back on the shelf. I'm not going to spend my real money on conflicting cover-art."

Or is he going to say, "Stanley Donen? Isn't he some musical director, with all those male dancers? And we KNOW what male dancers mean. And despite this great cleavage, I'm not going to walk thru the check-out line and have the teenager look at me buying a Smartly Styled DVD."

In short, one of the excellent comedies - so good that the Americans HAD to remake it eventually - will languish in idiotically confusing marketing.

If I was going to do Tits & Ass Marketing, I'd have a single shot of her plumped back onto the bed in her red undies, in full close-up, and forget those Cook and Dudley fellows. If Cleavage is all it takes, then admit it and do it RIGHT.

Unfortunately, for some American consumer who's never seen this film and watches it once, they'll put the DVD back on their shelf and think, "Boy, what a lie - Raquel's barely in this picture!!"

Dumb dumb dumb.

Liked
    0 times
    And I know they could have done worse... they could have chosen the hokey cartoon-fly image and plastered that up there.

Liked
    1 times
    name='ChristineCB']And I know they could have done worse... they could have chosen the hokey cartoon-fly image and plastered that up there.

The delicious Miss Hurley.....................

Liked
    0 times
    Pen, I don't find the FUNNY BONES designs nearly as off-putting or contra-truth. FUNNY BONES is too rich in content to ever have single photos or snippets capture all of them, and much like lovely Raquel's cleavage, I know that pasting Jerry Lewis front and center is the marketeers' eye-catching hope.

If they'd have used the phrase "Smartly Styled" on most films, however, it would be like an anvil around the neck to just about every shopper drawn to cleavage, though.

The DVD has been a fast seller at the two nearby stores, although the store clerks say everyone who's buying it know the film already. I sure hope the DVD Marketeers didn't pay too much money for that phrase!