Liked
    0 times
    Saw this film as a child in the mid to late sixties. It was a British film that was shown during a Saturday afternoon matinee on TV in the US where I grew up. The part that made such a morbid impression on me involved two children and a shallow stream with rocks. It seemed that for some reason they weren't supposed to be there, and then one of the children either slipped & fell or was pushed and hit his/her head on a rock and died immediately. The scene vivid in my mind was the child lying in the water dead. Then (I think) the other child left the dead child floating in the stream and ran away. This is all I can remember. Does anyone else remember a film with a similar scene that would have been shown during that time period?

Liked
    0 times
    kids and water eh?

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by arty-dave@Aug 1 2005, 04:34 AM

kids and water eh?
    And death. I know, kind of sick. But it just keeps sticking in my mind.

Liked
    151 times
    A bit Don't Look Now ish but that was a single child in a pool.

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    There is a very similar harrowing scene in the excellent " Ratcatcher" made in 1999 and if memory serves me correctly the film was set in the late sixties early seventies ,however the production dates are wrong (I Think) for this film.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Originally posted by wsdailey@Aug 1 2005, 02:48 AM

Saw this film as a child in the mid to late sixties. It was a British film that was shown during a Saturday afternoon matinee on TV in the US where I grew up. The part that made such a morbid impression on me involved two children and a shallow stream with rocks. It seemed that for some reason they weren't supposed to be there, and then one of the children either slipped & fell or was pushed and hit his/her head on a rock and died immediately. The scene vivid in my mind was the child lying in the water dead. Then (I think) the other child left the dead child floating in the stream and ran away. This is all I can remember. Does anyone else remember a film with a similar scene that would have been shown during that time period?
    Could this have been a Public Information Film???

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by penfold@Aug 15 2005, 11:29 PM

Could this have been a Public Information Film???

I think it almost certainly was a Public Information Film. The one that is on the DVD "Charlie Says Vol 1" contains a truly terrifying drama called DEEP WATER about the dangers of playing on the edge of a lake. It's enough to give any impressionable child nightmares.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Is that the same as the Spirit Of Dark And Lonely Water?

Terrified me alright. I blame Donald Pleasence single handedly for me not learning to swim until I was at least 13.

Liked
    0 times
    name='aphra']I think it almost certainly was a Public Information Film. The one that is on the DVD "Charlie Says Vol 1" contains a truly terrifying drama called DEEP WATER about the dangers of playing on the edge of a lake. It's enough to give any impressionable child nightmares.

Naaah...can't be a public information film... he said he saw it in the USA. I've lived here in the US for half my life and have NEVER seen a British public info. film on TV.

Senior Member Country: Scotland lostintown's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Isn't this the end of "Hand in Hand"?

Someone else is querying the same film right now, right here..

http://filmdope.com/forums/ca...synagogue.html