Thread: Dulcima (1971)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Anybody remember this one? I last saw it on BBC2 British Film Night Season around 1981 and don't think its ever been on since.

The rural England it featured probably doesnt exist anymore.

This season was the reason I got into British films. IIRC it featured amongst others:-

O! Lucky Man

I Start Counting

2 into 3 Won't Go

The Bed Sitting Room

Bartleby

The Family Way

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    yes this was when i got into british film i was only 15 and was the only kid who saw the this long season of british film.

they were shown every sunday night (2 films one after the other)

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Sounds wonderful - what a shame they don't show seasons like that anymore.

Member Country: England Keif Howard's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm amazed that this has not yet been released. I feel very lucky to have my VHS copy, taped from BBC (not sure if it was 1 or 2) in the late eighties. It was definitely later than '81, as I didn't get my first VCR until April '82.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by summerisle View Post
    Anybody remember this one? I last saw it on BBC2 British Film Night Season around 1981 and don't think its ever been on since.
    The rural England it featured probably doesnt exist anymore.
    I dropped onto this thread while watching it on the internet, I guess by now you know you can watch this for free.....? Filmed in and around Minchinhampton near Stroud, the IMDB has comments indicating that times have indeed changed from when they watched it being filmed. Google Street view shows it to be a well-to do, quiet sort of market town these days. It has more of the 21st Century take on what constitutes 'rural appeal' beloved of Location, Location etc than the bucolic idyll in the film. Not a favourite film of mine but Carol White has a country sexiness that warms up a winters evening and John Mills is always watchable.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by summerisle View Post
    An accurate recall from summerisle, who will hopefully return to this thread. Dulcima was transmitted 10.30pm, Sunday 22nd February 1981 on BBC2 (source: Sunday Express). The only other listing I've found is the Daily Express for 7th July 1990, when it was shown on BBC1, 11.55pm. The latter may well be the broadcast I remember. I had it in my mind that it was a Friday night and a bit earlier.

Daily Mirror review (by Arthur Thirkell), 21st April 1972

Strange farm affair

You can almost smell the earthy pleasures of the tumbledown Gloucester farm in DULCIMA (A, ABC1), a film based on an H.E. Bates story. The owner of the film is middle-aged, miserly, stubble-chinned, boozy Mr. Parker (John Mills). Since his wife's death he has let himself go to seed and his home is in worse shape than a pig-sty.

Extras

One day when he falls out of his van dead drunk, young Dulcima (Carol White), who lives nearby, dusts him off and helps him into his home - and discovers that he is rich. Filthy rich. Dulcima becomes his full-time housekeeper, relieving him of the odd fiver for the little "extras" she gives him upstairs. He proposes marriage. But complications arise.

Under Frank Nesbitt's tasteful direction, Carol White and John Mills give the strange love affair warmth and understanding.

I can't have watched it properly then. Would have remembered all that. Astonishing similarities with my own situation last year when I was discovered in a sorry state by one of my ex's. But it was someone else who took over as "housekeeper" (nothing like Carol White though ).

I CERTAINLY look forward to watching this later:

ICONIC SEVENTIES CINEMA: DULCIMA (1971 PG)
    Last edited by cornershop15; 25-09-12 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Most of the views of England depicted in British film and TV up to 1994 no longer exist: nor do the social types (some may say 'fictitious stereotypes', but they were real enough in my childhood) that populated them. One day, films like this will be all we have as proof of their one-time life, so watch them wherever possible.

That said, though, I've never seen DULCIMA either, although I would like to.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    Most of the views of England depicted in British film and TV up to 1994 no longer exist: nor do the social types (some may say 'fictitious stereotypes', but they were real enough in my childhood) that populated them. One day, films like this will be all we have as proof of their one-time life, so watch them wherever possible.

That said, though, I've never seen DULCIMA either, although I would like to.
    Its on you-tube if you want to see it....

Cornershop has posted link

Cheers
    Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    A bit of the release schedule if forumers are interested

000_0844.jpg

All from the Rick C archive, the main item (top right) is the A3 vertical size for the film on its brand new release, as the review earlier confirms is 21 April 1972. Almost immediately it needed a support film to go out with if outside London, and the MGM-EMI choice was the Roman Polanski/Jackie Stewart documentary "Weekend of a Champion.(See item bottom left)

Unfortunately "Weekend of a Champion" had already had an ABC release outside London of sorts, having been shown at the Ritz, Leicester Square February 24-March 15, and starting in the provinces from 5th March.

The tag-lines for 'Dulcima' altered-should I say "deteriorated"-as the search for a profitable circuit release went on. Originally the public were informed "She (Dulcima) loved Parker's money, via 'Dulcima-whose only bait was her body' to 'he (Parker) was a filthy old man and she was a slut" (sic).

In the centre are a variety of press reviews on the first night at the ABC 1, Shaftesbury Avenue, vz. Daily Mail D.Telegraph, Times, if any one wants any text lifting. None of it from any source very complimentary, though.