Thread: The October Man

Liked
    0 times
    This is an earlier film noire with John Mills who performs superbly as a man wrongly accused of murdering an woman living in the same lodging house. He is recovering from a recent head injury and is not fully rehabilitated, suffering from headaches and mood swings. The police want to arrest him, but he manages to stay free long enough to find the real murderer, establish his innocence and settle down with the lovely girl who believed in him throughout the ordeal.

I could'nt believe how good this film was an am amazed it is not available on DVD considering it must be one of John Mills' finer performances.

I would recommend it to all Brit Movie fans. I had a Vhs copy which was getting very grainy. I have transferred it to DVD-R but if anyone out there has quality copy I would really love to see it

Cheers,

AndyG

Liked
    151 times
    Good call, a very atmospheric thriler and Roy Ward Baker's debut into the bargain. Also interesting to see Edward "Mr. Grimsdale" Chapman in a darker role.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by ANDYG@Aug 5 2005, 09:45 PM

This is an earlier film noire with John Mills who performs superbly as a man wrongly accused of murdering an woman living in the same lodging house. He is recovering from a recent head injury and is not fully rehabilitated, suffering from headaches and mood swings. The police want to arrest him, but he manages to stay free long enough to find the real murderer, establish his innocence and settle down with the lovely girl who believed in him throughout the ordeal.

I could'nt believe how good this film was an am amazed it is not available on DVD considering it must be one of John Mills' finer performances.

I would recommend it to all Brit Movie fans. I had a Vhs copy which was getting very grainy. I have transferred it to DVD-R but if anyone out there has quality copy I would really love to see it

Cheers,

AndyG
    You're right AndyG, it is a good film and our John Mills played his part as usual. I might watch it again now yo've reminded me!

Liked
    0 times
    It's one of those movies that I first saw as a kid and which still haunts me today.

Incidently, those with very sharp eyes can spot Sid James in a very early role (blink and you'd miss him!)

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Agreed a terrific film, Edward Chapman puts in a terrific performance and this picture is well worth a commercial DVD release. It would nice to see more John Mills films released in tribute to one of Britain's greatest film stars too.

Liked
    0 times
    A lecturer from my old University here in Melbourne teaches a class on Film Noir and screens The October Man each year as the ideal example of Brit Film Noir.

He also has a course on "Melodrama and Modernity in Cinema" and uses Roy Ward Baker as the key focus to develop the points and themes of the class. About 10 of his films are screened, from stricken submarines to lesbain vampires, from Dirk in leather to Gary Merrill on a bender.

Great stuff.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Just been watching the excellent The October Man with the late,great John Mills. Why was it called The October Man?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    (Marky B @ Feb 10 2006, 03:35 PM)

Just been watching the excellent The October Man with the late,great John Mills. Why was it called The October Man?

Ta Ta
    The Kay Walsh character, who was into astrology, asked Mills which month he was born, When he said October she told him what a good chap he was.

Liked
    0 times
    (dylan @ Feb 10 2006, 05:25 PM)
    The Kay Walsh character, who was into astrology, asked Mills which month he was born, When he said October she told him what a good chap he was.
    I've just been watching it as well and I'm sure he said he was born in June. I only remember because my husband was born in June and he doesn't fit her description!!

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Nope, I watched it too and he definitely said October.

Member Country: England bobs1900's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Sanndevil is quite right, John Mills definitely said he was born in October, and Kay Walsh said she born in June.

It's the scene when John MIlls goes into her room when the lights were fused.

I recorded the films and have just checkked it.

Bobs1900

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Did anyone notice Sid James as the man crossing the railway bridge with his girlfriend.. He had 'a line' but was uncredited...

Aaron

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    According to IMDB,Sid James is in the film "uncredited".

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    (aaron @ Feb 11 2006, 12:09 PM)

Did anyone notice Sid James as the man crossing the railway bridge with his girlfriend.. He had 'a line' but was uncredited...

Aaron
    Yes, thought it was him - until he spoke.

Still can't believe it was him as the voice was so unlike that which we are used to - although IMDb confirms it was.

FELL