Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Black Narcissus

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    ^ Ah, I must watch again to determine if Mr Dean is being mischievous or innocently provocative.

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Black Narcissus is being shown tomorrow on More4 (DTV14) at 11.25am.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    And at the Picturehouse, Stratford, East London on Wednesday
    http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinem...ack_Narcissus/

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I see that Robert Donat was reading for the role of Mr Dean in January 1946. I'm glad he didn't get the role because, frankly, he has NIL sex appeal.

And about the 'nuns'�
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    ... I'm not sure what in the film is specifically Anglican(surely most audiences would assume that Sister Clodagh was Catholic). Rume Godden converted to Catholicism in the 1940s I think (after writing BN anyway I believe) and In This House of Brede is definitely about Catholic nuns. No idea what the differences would be...
    I recently spoke to some women who were served in a private hospital operated by the Anglican Church here from the 1920s to the 1990s. I asked them if they wore 'nun-like' veils and they said they wore short veils to cover their hair for hygiene reasons as much as anything else. I asked if they could be described as 'Anglican nuns and they seemed to take umbrage saying 'we are deaconesses!'.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lllIIlllIIlllIIl View Post
    And about the 'nuns'—

I recently spoke to some women who were served in a private hospital operated by the Anglican Church here from the 1920s to the 1990s. I asked them if they wore 'nun-like' veils and they said they wore short veils to cover their hair for hygiene reasons as much as anything else. I asked if they could be described as 'Anglican nuns and they seemed to take umbrage saying 'we are deaconesses!'.
    But the ones in the film were nuns, Anglican nuns.

In the book the point is made quite subtly

When they introduce Joseph Anthony in chapter 5 Colonel Pratap says:
    "Joseph Anthony is the son of my Madrassi cook. He was at school for a short while here." He coughed and went on. "He is Christ-ian and will wel-come you very much, though he is Roman and you are not. ..."

That's one of the few places where Rumer Godden says explicitly in the novel that they aren't Catholic nuns, and even there it's a point that is made quite subtly.

In the film the main indication is the repeated reference to the annual renewal of their vows. They only sign up for a year in their order. RC nuns sign up for life

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    ^ I wonder if real Anglican nuns in India wore the full-length white robes. They would have been hard to keep clean and ironed but they look MARVELLOUS on screen!

Liked
    418 times
    The nuns robes do get dirty in the film. They quite often show that their robes are dirty around the hems where they are dragging on the ground.

Sister Ruth also has a patient who bleeds all over her robe

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Repeat broadcast from yesterday (25 July 2014) of BBC Radio 3's 15-minute dissertation on the film

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bfqnl

Quite a yummy photo on that page of the premiere of AMOLAD for your collection, Steve (unless you already have it).
    Last edited by Rick C; 26-07-14 at 03:20 PM.

Liked
    418 times
    Yes, that was the Royal Film Performance premi�re. The first every Royal Film Performance.
    It was the first big social event after the war ended and so everyone dusted off their fur coats and tiaras
    The number of people who turned up just to gawk took the police by surprise and Mr & Mrs King, along with the two princesses, had to force their way through the cheering crowd. There are newsreels showing them arriving, making their way through the crowd and being presented to P&P and various film stars.

Back then, for a Royal Film Performance they didn't just show the film, they put on a large stage show with lots of other actors & performers showing extracts from their latest work

Steve

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345