The Huggetts - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Huggetts

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Dave - thanks for the screen shots, they're really interesting! Not really any the wiser for the locations though - Though I have a hunch Steve could well be right re Islington area.

That pub ought to jog someone's memory - which film was it from?

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Sorry to confuse things further, but the pub is The Winning Post on the A316 Chertsey Road - Twickenham and I am pretty certain the shops are at the junction of King Street and Cross Deep - also Twickenham. I will go out later to confirm the last one.

Alan

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Many London Bus routes have followed the same routes since time began. If the bus number can be seen then there is a wealth of information about routes and that area can be established.

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan F
    Sorry to confuse things further, but the pub is The Winning Post on the A316 Chertsey Road - Twickenham and I am pretty certain the shops are at the junction of King Street and Cross Deep - also Twickenham. I will go out later to confirm the last one.

Alan
    Chimney arrangement looks different?

Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    Chimney arrangement looks different?

That's the side of the building. Try this link

Home

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times

Home
    Looks convincing. That could put the whole shoot out that way, more towards West London

Steve

Liked
    418 times

Alan
    That would tie in with my initial feeling that it was further out of central London than Islington. That the houses in the screenshots are more suburban than the houses in Islington which tend to be more like 3 or 4 storey town houses

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    Aye that's it, looks a by-pass boozer.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Compton
    Dave - thanks for the screen shots, they're really interesting! Not really any the wiser for the locations though - Though I have a hunch Steve could well be right re Islington area.

That pub ought to jog someone's memory - which film was it from?

rgds

Rob
    Hi Rob,

The pub scene was taken from 'Vote For Huggett' (1949).

Cheers

Dave.

Liked
    1 times

Home
    Thanks Alan.

I was hoping you would come into this thread as I know you're pretty good at location spotting.

To Bobsterkent - unfortunately I couldn't see a number on the bus. I tried to see the numbers on the bus stop sign but they were not clear enough. I did notice that the bus stop did have three bus route numbers spaced on it though.

Dave.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    If the shops are Twickenham - which I think they are - then the street scene could easily be in Teddington (nearby). There used to be gasometers between the railway, and Bushy Park. Also the "embankment" in the motorcycle shot could be the wall of Bushy Park on the road from Hampton Wick to Teddington. The large trees also suggest this.

Someone else will have to do the leg work to check - I moved far from Teddington 17 years ago!

Liked
    3 times
    I'll get a copy of the film and run my eye over the bus, there may be something on it that i can guage where the bus is from etc

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Bobster and others - just had another look at the scene containing the bus in Here Come The Huggetts and this should be fairly easy to locate.

The bus - registration number CUL 323 - is on route 645 which ran from Edgware via Cricklewood and Golders Green to North Finchley and Barnet ( the destination board confirms this and mentions North Finchley, Whetstone and Barnet).

The stop is right outside Boots the Chemist on a slight incline. The only place I can think of that matches this is Temple Fortune (between Golders Green and Finchley Central) - but I may be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by canon
    If the shops are Twickenham - which I think they are - then the street scene could easily be in Teddington (nearby). There used to be gasometers between the railway, and Bushy Park. Also the "embankment" in the motorcycle shot could be the wall of Bushy Park on the road from Hampton Wick to Teddington. The large trees also suggest this.

Someone else will have to do the leg work to check - I moved far from Teddington 17 years ago!
    Thanks Canon and 999Picklepuss for the fresh information.

Checking the terrain through Google Earth, the only street between the railway and Bushy Park in Teddington that matches the same curve as in the film grabs appears to be Avenue Road.

The tops of the houses look different, which I suppose is to be expected with time, but there still appears to be hedges and paths in front of the houses in that road.

It would be nice to know exactly where the gasometers had been situated in that area.

Anyone else on the forum who knows the Teddington area?

Cheers

Dave.

Liked
    10 times
    I did eventually make it to Twickenham, and yes the shop scene is where I said it was.

This was the layout of the Teddington gas works in 1957 according to the map book I am using.

If you want to see what the largest of the gasometers looked like, use this link

http://filmdope.com/forums/location-location-location/4458-wrong-arm-law.html

I am currently working through a list of about twenty-five other sites found from the same maps, hopefully when my box set of the films is delivered later this week I will make better progress.

Liked
    418 times
    I did eventually make it to Twickenham, and yes the shop scene is where I said it was.

Yes, I'd say that's definitely the same shops. They've lost a few chimneys, but people don't burn so many fires now. There are many other points of similarity. Well done Alan. A good position and angle for the comparison shot as well

Steve

Liked
    3 times
    The bus - registration number CUL 323 - is on route 645 which ran from Edgware via Cricklewood and Golders Green to North Finchley and Barnet ( the destination board confirms this and mentions North Finchley, Whetstone and Barnet).

That makes things very easy then! Thats not a bus thats a trolleybus, and as such had fixed wires above for power. due to that, the trolleybus routes were only very rarely changed, due to the high cost of planting new poles and fixing new overhead wires etc. The 645 ran the same route till January 1962 between Canons Park & Barnet. CUL 323 ran from Finchley depot at this time.

I'll dig out some books and see if i can get a definate routeing to try and match it up, the main replacement bus service was the 245 which ran as follows: NORTH FINCHLEY, Finchley Central, Golders Green, Childs Hill, Cricklewood, West Hendon, Colindale, Edgware, Stonegrove, Canons Park

Liked
    10 times
    Well, my copies of the films arrived yesterday and I set about dissecting the last three. It seems that Twickenham was the reddest of red herrings; the Huggett house is in North West London - Oakhampton Road – Mill Hill. The link below has the cross centred on the driveway of the house, scroll left and you find the embankment at the end of the road is Hendon Golf Course, scroll up and the brown patch in front of Mill Hill East Station was, until about eight years ago, the gas works.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.60475&lon=-0.213946&z=20&r=0&src=msl

I found these pictures of other houses in the road on an estate agent’s site, looks like everyone has had new windows fitted, presumably the chewing gum wore out.

Liked
    418 times
    Well, my copies of the films arrived yesterday and I set about dissecting the last three. It seems that Twickenham was the reddest of red herrings
    Even the shops?

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    Cheers Alan, it looks like you've cracked it.

The roofs of the houses in the road still look the same as in the film and the gaps between houses seems to seal it.

I wonder why that particular road was used for filming? Is Mill Hill very far from Islington and the film studios?

Again, very well done Alan. Your work is very much appreciated.

Dave.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast