Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Not quite the same as seeing any of the TTT films but there are many audio clips here -

BBC Trade Test Films - Vintage Broadcasting

But there is a full length version of the original colour television receiver film here

The Colour Television Receiver Film - Vintage Broadcasting

Cheers, NML

Liked
    0 times
    Just before Christmas I spoke to a very nice lady at the BP Video Library (BP Video Library) who told me that there were plans for some of the BP TTT films to be made available through their new website.

Unfortunately it will take some time (sorting out copyright, conversion to digital format, etc) but she took my contact details and promised to let me know when the films would be available. May be if a lot of us contact the library they would make the move happen more quickly!

Cheers, NML

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='nleacy']Just before Christmas I spoke to a very nice lady at the BP Video Library (BP Video Library) who told me that there were plans for some of the BP TTT films to be made available through their new website.

Unfortunately it will take some time (sorting out copyright, conversion to digital format, etc) but she took my contact details and promised to let me know when the films would be available. May be if a lot of us contact the library they would make the move happen more quickly!

Cheers, NML

To be honest, I'm not sure this will happen anytime soon. About 4 years ago I bought a couple of films from the BPVL. A week or so after purchase I received a phone call from them asking what I thought about the possibility of the films being made available on DVD. It really doesn't look like much progress had been made in the time since that call. I can't see why copyright would be an issue as they already sell the films in VHS format. They would also have to look at the pricing of each title. �20+ may be acceptable for the 30 minute films but I can't see anyone paying that for the much shorter films.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='nleacy']Not quite the same as seeing any of the TTT films but there are many audio clips here -

BBC Trade Test Films - Vintage Broadcasting

But there is a full length version of the original colour television receiver film here

The Colour Television Receiver Film - Vintage Broadcasting

Cheers, NML

It's in a very tiny format though. I have a full and proper copy of the film

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Is there anybody out there who can tell me how to get hold of any of the films which were used for trade test transmissions.

Regards

Lawrence

Liked
    0 times
    Well Lawrence I think the answer to your request can be found in the earlier parts of this thread. So please start from the very beginning and work through and then you should get some idea of the films that are available and the best places to try to get them from. Some really good information is contained in this thread.

Liked
    0 times
    How does this forum work. I'm not allowed to read a private message to me unless I post 3 messages out. Which hopefully this message will count toward.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='hsoller']How does this forum work. I'm not allowed to read a private message to me unless I post 3 messages out. Which hopefully this message will count toward.

It will count towards your first 3 messages. But although that will let you read, and send private message and ask for things in the "Looking for ..." areas, it doesn't guarantee that anyone will help you find them.

We find that it's better for people to join in all of the forums and take part in the community rather then just steam in and say "I want ...", "Gimme ..." (not that I'm suggesting that you have done this or would do so if given the chance). It's just that people are more liable to help other people once they've got to know them a bit

Steve

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    I mailed the contact address at Panamint Historical and Nostalgic Documentary Films, UK - Panamint Cinema to see if they could approach the various rights holders to do a release. I got a very nice reply from Russell Cowe. He said that having asked the copyright holders if they could market a DVD, the IPR is still over-valued and its not economically feasible for them.

Still, you have to keep asking. If you find yourself at a website for historical/docco DVDs, think about writing to them to remind people this this stuff has a market.

And I strongly recommend people to look at Panamint's catalogue, which is mostly much earlier material from the GPO/Crown film unit, but has such treasures as the Humphrey Jennings WWII films, and the classic Night Mail.

-George

Liked
    0 times
    My personal favourite from these films is the one on colour. Strange, since I watched it in black and white. I have this memory of very striking bold modern music and a voice over describing the delicious palette of colour being laid out before my eyes, all looking Grey, Darker-Gray, Slightly darker Gray, Off-Black.

Prospect for plastics was a stunner of machinery, it reminds me of "Trafic" by Jacques Tati, the opening sequences of which feature the car pressing plant. Given that 'plastic' was a by-word for awful, its quite appealing to realize the material was increadibly novel when it hit the market.

'Build a car' has many fans. Personally, I didn't take to it, nor 'Weald of Kent'

And 'Kariba Dam' was immensely watchable, a downgrade reality TV version of 'Born Free' or Daktari.

Mind you, if you're old enough to have sat watching a pair of hands endlessly turning a clay pot, almost *anything* is watchable!

-George

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to flood the forum: one other recommendation, is to ask your local reference library to contact BP and Shell for their catalogue of materials. I did this with the Brisbane State Library (actually I handed over my copy of their list). It doesn't directly help getting things onto DVD, but once the information is seeded in these kind(s) of places worldwide, it helps to increase the 'hitrate' on them as sources. And, if they have a keen film librarian, then one or two copies may well get ordered to keep the prints 'alive'.

Since so many of these productions were in fact products of the colonies (I know the Australians funded several, I believe the Canadians did too) there are strong 'self-interest' motivations for the non-British institutions to remember this stuff is out there.

cheers

-George

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I am returning to the forum after a long absence, coud any one please email me or pm me with the current availability of the trade test transmission films.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Everyone

i would like to purchase any DVD'S of the trade test films, i know many of you guys have copies of most if not all of them, i personnaly think that these where far better than any educational film of today as they were not high tech just very well made.

These films made me happy when i first watched them, i have no doubt they would still do the same today, if anybody is selling please contact me, thanks in advance for your replies

Darrel.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I've managed to locate the Shell (via here) and BP copy sources, and now only short of the ICI made film 'Colour' which was about the nature of colour and from the little I remember very artistic.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Anorak 1960']I've managed to locate the Shell (via here) and BP copy sources, and now only short of the ICI made film 'Colour' which was about the nature of colour and from the little I remember very artistic.

Do you mean This is Colour (1942)? Or could what you're looking for be derived from that? It's a short documentary to demonstrate what can be done with Technicolor film and to show various other colourful products. Aimed at advertisers, there are a lot of shots of paint being spilled from cans and mixing to show a range of colours. It was part sponsored by ICI who, among other things, made paint as well as the dyes and coloured plastics that are also seen. An early demonstration of the skills of cinematographer Jack Cardiff.

This is Colour (1942) is on the French DVD of Black Narcissus by L'Institut Lumi�re and Warner Home Vid�o. Available from [ame="http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000E5OBNS/papas011-21"]Amazon France[/ame]

Steve

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone help me find two trade test films - Algerian pipeline and oil underground.

Are these films available ?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Do you mean This is Colour (1942)? Or could what you're looking for be derived from that? It's a short documentary to demonstrate what can be done with Technicolor film and to show various other colourful products. Aimed at advertisers, there are a lot of shots of paint being spilled from cans and mixing to show a range of colours. It was part sponsored by ICI who, among other things, made paint as well as the dyes and coloured plastics that are also seen. An early demonstration of the skills of cinematographer Jack Cardiff.

This is Colour (1942) is on the French DVD of Black Narcissus by L'Institut Lumi�re and Warner Home Vid�o. Available from Amazon France

Steve

Isn't this also on the Land Of Promise dvd set that's just been released?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='andyr']Can anyone help me find two trade test films - Algerian pipeline and oil underground.

Are these films available ?

You could try old youtube.

Liked
    418 times
    name='chudofbroady']Isn't this also on the Land Of Promise dvd set that's just been released?

Not on my copy

It might be mentioned in the sizeable booklet or there might be some clips of it in the documentary about documentaries at the end of disc 4. But the French DVD has the full thing.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Hi there,

The Trade Test Colour Film "Colour" was made five years after "This Is Colour", although the cinematography was again by Jack Cardiff. Generally considered to be the most vintage TTCF, it was shown for a short period between 1969 and 1970. This film, also for ICI ran for thirteen minutes and explored the historical and scientific development of dyes and pigments for various uses, from textiles to wallcoverings. The film is available from ICI/Millbank still at huge cost - I was quoted �300 for a vhs dub (plus a charity donation for admin). Needless to say I couldn't afford it! I don't think there are any fan copies about - nor are there readily available copies of Algerian Pipeline or Oil Underground I'm afraid. You can spend an awful lot of money on these titles to obtain them unfortunately.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast