Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tunes Of Glory

Liked
    0 times
    (JIM @ Sep 3 2005, 05:40 AM)

You're sam, John Mills was excellent as the screwed up officer - simply brilliant
    That should read "You're RIGHT Sam"..........

(716Jones @ Sep 13 2005, 10:48 AM)

Well, of course, what kind of idiot wants to watch a film with a brilliant script and no car chase.
    You have to remember guys that the programme schedulers are probably only in their 20s and as such wouldn't know a good film if it jumped up and bit them in the ass; (apologies to those Forum members in their 20s)!

Liked
    0 times
    Revisited my worn video copy of this film the other evening and it certainly retains all of it's dramatic feeling. The superb acting from all of the cast makes this one of my tour de forces of British cinema. The hostility between John Mills the new Colonel and Alec Guiness the 'acting Colonel' who feels he should have been appointed into the post is prevelent from the beginning, even the way they look at each other across the dining table is genius in acting.

The slow breakdown by Mills his twitching eye and the way he goes beserk at his officers for disobeying his orders at a cocktail dance is a classic in study of paranoia.

The whole film reeks atomosphere, the snow and cold castle, the quantities of whisky drunk in the officers mess. I like the portayals by Dennis Price and Duncan Macrae one with an Etonian officers accent and the other a rich Scottish.

There is plenty of humour as well, especially when Mills makes the officers attend dance classes at 7am on a cold winters morning. The casting was brilliant although Susannah York was not entirely convincing as Guinesses daughter.

That aside there is more drama and fine acting in 100 plus minutes than many of the gimmick laden movies of today.

Liked
    0 times
    At his appearance at the NFT to coincide with the release of the Adam Adamant series on dvd, Gerald Harper seemed to be very pleased when my companion asked him a question about his role in this film. He spoke very warmly about the help Alec Guinness had given him in the early stages of his career.

Gerald Harper still looks in fine fettle and, happily, is not amongst those who are pushing up the daisies.

Liked
    0 times
    It really is an excellent film and, I think, one of the best cinematic portrayals of life in the peace-time Army. It's all about boredom, drinking, small towns, drinking, violence, drinking, women, internecine unit politics and....did I mention drinking?

Additionally - it captures the conflict between officers drawn from 'the upper crust' and 'rankers' ie, those who've pulled themselves up by their boot straps. Oddly enough, the latter types can be worse b*stards than the silver spoon brigade!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Mills & Guinness both at the top of their form. Mills scene when he loses it is brilliant and Guiness when Mills has died is acting of an exceptional standard. An absolute classic film.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    However, sneaking in and kicking goals when everyone is looking elsewhere is Dennis Price, who does his best Dennis Price, stealing the show with little to no visible effort.
    Absolutely!

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    A agree with the previous comments on Price - small role big impact. I still think it is Mills finest hour as an actor - he was always an actor who raised his game when working with the best - another example is when he was opposite Charles Laughton in Hobson's Choice. It is one of those films where remaking it is almost superfluous - it would be difficult to imagine a different cast and dirctor bettering it.

On a sad note it's one of those films which with every passing year the survivng cast members diminish.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    This is a brilliant film.

I had always enjoyed John Mills' performances. In this, he goes far beyond anything I had seen him do before. He creates an intensely sympathetic character out of a man who might have been a martinet. I found myself understanding him from the inside.

The sequence where Barrow realizes what he has done by allowing Sinclair off without punishnment is something I won't forget.

There is a great deal here, as there so often in outstanding British films: the specific details of class differences and the military world are a prism that allow for a larger understanding.

It was fascinating for me to see the England-Scotland relationship from the Scots perspective. It's unusual for me, as an American, to find it any film or television show.

Also, Dennis Price surprised me. He gave a fine performance, but there seemed to be something wrong with him inside. I don't mean that he simply looked older. Something had happened to him since A Canterbury Tale- a coarsening. I don't know how else to put it. It seemed very strange and sad.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I read, or saw, a quote from John Mills where he stated that He & Guinness were

offered either part & that they tossed a coin to see who played which. This

sounds flippant & unlikely but I'm sure I heard it somewhere!

Liked
    0 times
    I thought it fair to mention the contribution of Malcolm Arnold, whose music did so much to enhance the proceedings in this film.

Liked
    29 times
    I will give revive this thread to call attention to this outstanding film.

I think it is one of the great British films and, in fact, one of the great films made anywhere. I know it did receive good reviews and attention when it was released, but it is nevertheless highly under-rated.

John Mills' performance is still the finest work I have seen by an actor.

Liked
    137 times
    Yep one of my faves too, outstanding acting and a rattling good story too

It is such a shame that the ( legit ) dvd that is available is such a shocking ptrint

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Watched this film again a while ago and it was good to see so many great British actors and familiar faces.
    John Mills and Alec Guinness are fantastic in this film.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    Yep one of my faves too, outstanding acting and a rattling good story too

It is such a shame that the ( legit ) dvd that is available is such a shocking ptrint
    I have the commercial DVD release and also a copy that came free with the Daily Mail a little while back. I don't think the print is too bad, its not brilliant, obviously no restoration and there is a thin dark band that appears on the far right for about 10 mins near the end of the film that is mildly annoying, viewed from a Blu Ray player which upscales it slightly I think it still looks better than the broadcast version.

Liked
    29 times
    The Criterion DVD looks good, and there are some nice extras. They have the highest standards so I would not say it is exceptional by Criterion's standard but I thought it was fine.

I will add a reference here to the excellent featured cast: Dennis Price, who matches his earlier outstanding performances here, Gordon Jackson, Kay Walsh, beautiful Susannah York and Duncan Macrae.

The brief exchange between Mills and Price towards the end is shattering - one of the great scenes in film.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    This is a film based mainly on performances and overall I would think Johnny Mills takes the honours. However, sneaking in and kicking goals when everyone is looking elsewhere is Dennis Price, who does his best Dennis Price, stealing the show with little to no visible effort.
    I just re-watched this film, having had the DVD for ages but neglecting to give it an airing. On this viewing I really noticed how pivotal Denis Price's character is to the whole story. He is like an evil "Jiminy Cricket" to both the Mills and Guinness characters, appearing to encourage Jock's debauchery and drinking in the early scenes, when he is clearly seen as a friend to Jock. Then slowly but surely he shows his real colours, being a typically self-serving career man, appearing to offer sage unbiased advice but actually being totally selfish. His conversation with John Mills toards the end is maybe the most important scene in the whole film.

I think it is key that Denis Price's Major is a Company commander, he is not a young man any longer, but has reached a position that gives him exactly the right status, without too much responsibility. He can leave the running of the Company to his Lieutenants and by never pushing for promotion himself does not have to worry about anything that would keep him too busy. For example Gordon Jackson, a Captain and therefore junior in rank to Denis Price is obviously kept very busy with his duties as adjutant and has little or no time for drinking in the mess. Denis Price is in many ways the repesentation of the Victorian upper-classes. Tradition and duty mean little to him, neither does hard work and graft. He wants to do as little as he can for the biggest reward and.

The script and acting throughout is so good, you are never meant to think of John Mills of Alec Guinness as villains, even though both men have their flaws. They are normal vulnerable human beings who make mistakes and are defined and confined by their backgrounds. Guinness can never be more than the ex-piper, and Mills can never escape his family's legacy of commanding the Regment. So as I say, it falls upon Denis Price to steer the film and become the villain.

Wonderful film

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Duncan Macrae's putdown of Percy Herbert is a classic and one we occasionally use at work!

Liked
    44 times
    I've always felt that along with Hobson's Choice it contains John Mills best screen work.

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    Great film. Poor John Mills, what a rotten time he had with Alex Guiness.

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Great film. Poor John Mills, what a rotten time he had with Alex Guiness.
    Yes and Guiness was rather cruel to JM in a diary entry after many kind words in public about him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast