Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tunes Of Glory

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I will give this masterwork another bump as it fully deserves the attention and I wonder perhaps if someone who has not seen it or perhaps even heard of it will find it.

It is likely very well known in Britain but has been sadly neglected here.

I will say again that John Mills gives the performance here in Tunes of Glory that is very finest I have ever seen by an actor, British or otherwise - the finest ever. The entire cast is superb. But Mills is on another level.

Liked
    137 times
    Always worth giving that film a " bump " Tim, stunning performances certaivly one of my faves too.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    37 times
    Picked up a DVD of this classic this week in Poundland.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    Also, Dennis Price surprised me. He gave a fine performance, but there seemed to be something wrong with him inside. I don't mean that he simply looked older. Something had happened to him since A Canterbury Tale- a coarsening. I don't know how else to put it. It seemed very strange and sad.
    Isn't that acting? He had been through a lot of personal issues since his heyday in the late 1940's but if you look at some of his contemporary performances there is still a warmth there; if anything I think our perceptions of him may have changed over the previous decades

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    An excellent film which really catches the dynamics of life in a battalion mess. (Although the CO never went as far as Mills in any of my acquaintance...). Guinness superb, Mills better. A nod to Percy Herbert as the Regimental Sergeant Major, an outsider like Mills - and I like the running gag with Angus Lennie coming and going but never, seemingly, arriving with something from the cookhouse.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Noticed last night that it's available to watch for free just now on Blinkbox.
    http://www.blinkbox.com/Free/Movie/36782/Tunes-of-Glory

I can remember watching this on TV with my parents many years ago, and yawning to myself over having to watch another boring old film. It was stunning and I was stunned. Fantastic movie..... and that was just in black and white !!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton View Post
    Isn't that acting? He had been through a lot of personal issues since his heyday in the late 1940's but if you look at some of his contemporary performances there is still a warmth there; if anything I think our perceptions of him may have changed over the previous decades
    Price was a fine actor, yes, but there is something else there. He used that sense of disappointment and wry self-awareness to great effect in this film. That brief scene between him and Mills where Mills realizes what he has done (I won't spoil the plot for those who haven't seen the film) is stunning. But it is one of those cases where the actor and the man behind the role came together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123