Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tunes Of Glory

Liked
    0 times
    I am a brand new member -- my first post. Tunes of Glory is not only my favorite British movie, but my favorite movie of all time. I would be delighted to converse with any fans of this movie.

Liked
    1 times
    Dear RB,

I havn't seen 'Tunes of Glory' for a long time, but as I recall, it was mostly a power struggle between the old and new commanders of a Scots regiment. It was all, as John Levitz used to say on Saturday Night Live - "ACTING!!!"

If you liked this, you should watch Richard Attenborough and Jack Hawkins in 'Guns at Batasi.' Especially the scene in which Attenborough faces down the rebel commander over his refusal to remove his hat in the NCO Mess.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Dear RB,

Welcome. As a newcomer, I have found this site to be very informative and compulsive!

Sadly, Tunes of Glory is another classic I have only ever seen on TV. However, it wasn't until the late 70's until we had a colour set that I realised it was in (good) colour!

Also, I recall hearing it read as a serial (or was it a play?) on BBC Radio 4 a few years back, revealing the film treatment to be different from the original book.

Gordon Jackson does a good turn!

Bernie

Liked
    0 times
    RBeeler:

I am a brand new member -- my first post. Tunes of Glory is not only my favorite British movie, but my favorite movie of all time. I would be delighted to converse with any fans of this movie.
    Hi RBeeler! I visited Stirling recently - by night so I couldn't go into the castle itself, but seeing it illuminated was atmospheric enough. I remember being bowled over by the movie when I first saw it, hurtles towards a tragedy which is both inevitable and yet so very needless. And wonderful performances - thanks for reminding me to find it and watch it again!

V.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I thought Tunes Of Glory a fine film - a wonderful supporting cast and those stalwarts of the British cinema John Mills and Alec Guinness in fine form, using their condsiderable skills to bring two complex characters to life. Well worth a look if anyone hasn't seen it.

Liked
    0 times
    I was lucky to catch Tunes of Glory on TV many years ago on cable. My father warned me it was a kleenex film and he was right! I'm also not surprised that this is Alec Guiness' favorite film he starred in. I think it's one of his best performances. It seemed less about a power struggle to me and more about peer group politics and the need for acceptance. The only film sadder than this one I can think of is 'Bless the Beasts & Children.'

I guess it was Edinburgh night on The History Channel because they showed this film within the same week they showed 'The Life & Times of Miss Jean Brodie,' another fave of mine. There really were a spate of awesome films made in Scotland during the late 60's/early 70's weren't there?

Liked
    0 times
    Don't you mean THE PRIME OF Miss Jean Brodie? I've never heard of the title you mention.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes! That's the one. I loved that movie the first time I saw it. But sadly that was the only time I saw it, so very long ago...

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Criterion have just released a DVD of the film that includes an interview with Ronald Neame, region 1

Liked
    0 times
    Alec Guinness often comes over, in my opinion, as a rather "camp" figure, but who would want to pick a fight with Jock Sinclair as portrayed by Guinness in this film? A superb performance!

Nice to see Guinness teamed up with his old sparring partner from Kind Hearts and Coronets, Dennis Price, again.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Brilliant, marvellous, outstanding. Loved every minute.

I really enjoyed this film and it had some brilliant actors doing some very good and complex characters:

John Mills

Alec Guinness

Dennis Price

Kay Walsh

Susannah York

Gordon Jackson

Gerald Harper

There's a theatre production of this doing the rounds in the winter so keep a lookout and check your local listings (not the same cast however).

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by samkydd

I really enjoyed this film and it had some brilliant actors doing some very good and complex characters:

John Mills

Alec Guinness

Dennis Price

Kay Walsh

Susannah York

Gordon Jackson

Gerald Harper

There's a theatre production of this doing the rounds in the winter so keep a lookout and check your local listings (not the same cast however).
    You're sam, John Mills was excellent as the screwed up officer - simply brilliant!

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    A marvellous film with superb performances especially by Mills and Guinness. I think this is due out on DVD in the near future?

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    The scene where Guiness is planning the funeral with his officers is a very fine piece of cinema, one which I could watch again and again.

Freddy

Liked
    3 times
    Originally posted by Freddy@Sep 6 2005, 08:39 PM

The scene where Guiness is planning the funeral with his officers is a very fine piece of cinema, one which I could watch again and again.

Freddy
    It's strange that awful films like Lethal Weapon and Beverly Hills Cop are repeated constantly to annoy us all to death, and things like Tunes of Glory and The Hill make an appearance about once every 15 years!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Originally posted by samkydd@Sep 9 2005, 11:35 AM

It's strange that awful films like Lethal Weapon and Beverly Hills Cop are repeated constantly to annoy us all to death, and things like Tunes of Glory and The Hill make an appearance about once every 15 years!
    Well, of course, what kind of idiot wants to watch a film with a brilliant script and no car chase.

Liked
    0 times
    If you get a chance read the original book. It almost reads like the film script.

The same characters appear in 'Tunes of Glory' and George Macdonald Fraser's 'The General Danced at Dawn' series of books when Fraser's main character is back in Edinburgh after the 1st and 2nd battalions of his ficticious highland regiment are merged in 1948.

Kennaway joined the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders just after WW2 to do his National Service but was transferred to the Gordon Highlanders. Fraser enjoyed his time with the Gordons but Kennaway hated his.

It's worth noting the Highland regiment in the film are wearing the uniform of the Cameron Highlanders, the regiment Kennaway had wanted to serve in.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by samkydd@Sep 2 2005, 07:13 PM

John Mills

Alec Guinness

Dennis Price

Kay Walsh

Susannah York

Gordon Jackson

Gerald Harper

Sadly most of the old cast are now pushing up daisies!

Funniest bit was Richard Leech as Capt. Rattray dancing rather exuberantly so much so that his partner ended up on the floor at the feet of Johnny Mills!

Richard told me it really was a bloody freezing location and that Guinness & Mills had an argy-bargy with the Producer as to who would get top billing!!

Liked
    3 times
    Originally posted by The Dogarina@Sep 13 2005, 11:35 PM

Guinness & Mills had an argy-bargy with the Producer as to who would get top billing!!*
    I remember reading that one actor would have nothing to do with such petty arguments and always insisted that in anything he was in the billing would always be in alphabetical order. I can't remember if it was Anthony Andrews or Arthur Askey!

Liked
    0 times
    This has long been one of my favourite British films and I immediately ordered it when it was released through Criterion.

This is a film based mainly on performances and overall I would think Johnny Mills takes the honours. However, sneaking in and kicking goals when everyone is looking elsewhere is Dennis Price, who does his best Dennis Price, stealing the show with little to no visible effort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast