Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    It's a pity there hasn't been a film version of his best book HMS Ulysses.

Ta Ta

Marky B:)

Liked
    0 times
    Marky, I've heard so much about it, but I've never read it! I'm sure I read the film rights were bought, or it wasn't the right time to make the film, because of another seafaring war film at the time.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Excellent info on WED,

much thanks

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    Enjoyed the info on the film. Its a perennial favourite - seen it many times , usually on TV!

First saw it on Release with an early " Chat Track" povided years before DVD by some smart-arse kids who let off stink Bombs ! Anyway I was caught up in the film especially the cable car sequence! ( I wasnt old enough to spot the Doubles ! )

Some points of interest

* Clint always Greets the men he kills!

* The Helicopter struck me as an anachronism . However I found out that Helicopters were around on Axis and Allied Side. ( I think the one in the film was a Korea-era Bell Helicopter ) . The Nazis had them - along with any number of advanced projects.

* Clint keeps his 1960's Haircut! See also Kelly's Heroes - where Donald Sutherland trumps him with the full Hippy Hair!

* You can't fire 2 MP40 Machine Pistols and stay on your feet! I found this out in a thread on this site! You would end up on your Back with a lot of holes in the ceiling - See also Sly with his one-handed M60 in Rambo.

* " Broadsword calling Danny Boy " passed into legend among Schoolboys of my age - along with " Flying Doctor to Wollaboola Base"!

Liked
    151 times
    My only memories of it afaik are that Burton took on the project to please his son and it's supposed to have a ridiculous body count considering Burton and Eastwood are for the most part lightly armed. I saw a spoof some time ago that showed the scene in the castle as an arcade game and it counted off how many rounds Eastwood fired to stop the German's advancing toward the radio room.

Certainly more successful than those British-Canadian Maclean adaptations of the 70's.

Liked
    0 times
    Wow, I never noticed that Clint always greets the men he killed. That's really cool.

Great bit of trivia about the machine pistols!

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all you "Eagles " fans, and thank you for the great response...

I often thought myself, about Eastwood holding two machine guns..

and wondering if this was possible in real life.but its cinematic licence !!

like everything else in the movies...it happens..might not be possible in real life, but it`s there..enjoy..

I do hope this film does not get a remake...

Look what happened to "Get Carter"

Liked
    0 times
    A Superb Film, nice triv

Liked
    0 times
    It's one of those films that when I saw it for the first time, my jaw dropped continually as the film progressed. Extremely spectacular, and very, very cool. So much stuff gets blown up, so many Nazi's get shot, it's a war classic tour-de-force. They don't, and can't, make 'em like that any more.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by schaffer
    I often thought myself, about Eastwood holding two machine guns..

and wondering if this was possible in real life.but its cinematic licence !!
    I remember it looked COOL!

like everything else in the movies...it happens..might not be possible in real life, but it`s there..enjoy..

I do hope this film does not get a remake...

Look what happened to "Get Carter"

Or the Italian Job , with an underpants Model in place of Michael Caine!

I imagine a remake of "Where Eagles Dare" would roll if they thought there was any money in it. However the last WW2 cycle was for realism ( Private Ryan ) and I'm not sure if escapism would play .

Please please no shonky straight to video with Whip Hubley and Michael Ironside. Imagine Brian Dennehy on top of a cable car !:eek:

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djdave
    Fantastic stuff, Quiller.

And the picture gag at the end was perfect....just what I needed to cheer me up after having sat through the dismal Superman Returns.

If only Eastwood and Burton had appeared at the start and blown Lex Luther away, they would have saved me the agony of watching the bloody thing.....

I wanted the reviews to bw wrong about Superman Returns - however they are spot on. Way too long , Glacial in pacing apart from the Action Sequence with the Plane , Heavy-handed Allegory ...the list is almost as long as the film. The kid in the Row ahead of me went to the Loo seven times - probably out of tedium! WAY too heavy for kids , the storyline is all over the place and the Climax is at the Beginning! 4 out of 10 and all for the excellent CGI

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    * " Broadsword calling Danny Boy " passed into legend among Schoolboys of my age - along with " Flying Doctor to Wollaboola Base"![/quote]

Broadsword to Danny Boy is an oft running exchange between Radio 2 DJ Ken Bruce and his traffic girl,Lynn Bowles - they have competitions on doing the best Richard Burton impersonation in saying the line. Lynn often wins - but then again,she is Welsh .

Ta Ta

Marky B:)

Liked
    0 times
    The Nightmare of Straight-to-Video! NOOOOOOOO!:eek:

Liked
    0 times
    Classic, Rico, classic! I only recognise two of those names, so that makes it even worse!

Liked
    0 times
    I found this on Wikipedia's entry for Where Eagles Dare:

This is a favourite movie of the director Quentin Tarantino and he has said that he would like to remake the film at some point in the future if given the opportunity.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Some great info in this thread. As a massive Burton fan its great to see this film still as popular (probably more so) than at its release.

Interestingly, none of Richard Burtons biographers mention the relationship between McLean and RB, they all tend to give this film a cursory mention before moving onto the more salacious private life.

Shame, really.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiller
    I found this on Wikipedia's entry for Where Eagles Dare:

This is a favourite movie of the director Quentin Tarantino and he has said that he would like to remake the film at some point in the future if given the opportunity.

If so , then expect John Travolta as Schaffer:)

Liked
    0 times
    Some Trivia from the Net

In the scene that takes place in the great hall of the castle where Richard Burton is "explaining" that he is is really with the SS, he has a pistol with a silencer. He shoots the chair that the fake general is sitting in and when the scene cuts back to him, the silencer is missing. The next shot of him has the silencer back on the gun, but it is shorter and slightly smaller (screwed in all the way this time, perhaps?).

German hand grenades--the famous "potato-mashers"--actually had four-second fuses, same as American and British hand grenades. Schaffer should not actually be able to toss a grenade back with impunity. In fact, earlier in the war, it was British "Mills bomb" hand grenades which were easy to throw back--they had seven-second fuses, and Germans were quite adept at throwing them back during the Battle of France, 1940. (Their fuses were changed in time for North Africa in 1941, and this no doubt led to some very surprised Germans until the word got out!)

When Burton and Eastwood are starting to walk over the bridge at Werfen, Eastwood is quite obviously about six inches taller than Burton. However, for the frontal close-up of them on the middle of the bridge, Burton is the same height as Eastwood. At the far end of the bridge, they are their normal heights again....

Take note to the edelwiess (alpine flower) badges on the sides of their M-43 caps. They move around a lot on their own. Sometimes they disappear altogether and then come back seconds later. When the pull-down flaps re worn down,the badges jump to the side of the cap body,itself!

Liked
    0 times

Liked
    0 times

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast