Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times

The lengths Burton would go to keep Elizabeth off the set...

Burton had a consignment of vodka air-dropped to the location whenever he ran dry.

Burton's just called his co-star Ingrid Tit. Eastwood can't understand a word he's saying.

Junior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Steven

Thought these would bring back some memories for you

MGM BRITISH STUDIOS

Wasn't it a fun place to work at MGM

Cheers

Roger

name='Stephen Pickard']I have some interesting memories I would like to share of working on the film at MGM.

Liked
    0 times
    Hello Steven

Thought these would bring back some memories for you

MGM BRITISH STUDIOS

Wasn't it a fun place to work at MGM

Cheers

Roger
    Thanks Rodger. Thanks for the answer to a question that has been doing my head in for nearly 40 years. As a lad my mates and I used to climb over the fence behind the school/college into MGM and crawl all over those sets and the stable/farmyard area where they kept the livestock off set. The picture and article of the remains of the bridge, boathouse and garages from "THE DIRTY DOZEN" explain the mystery. As you say most of the chateau had been removed or remodled for another film. I remember it after your photo when most of the new set had been built. They had drained the boat pond but looked as if they were going to refill it. The ornate gardens had been removed and the ground had been bulldozed back to look like far off hills as they had facade's of buildings on them. Overlooking the pond was an oriental street with market stalls at one end and as the street turned it led into a similar street but this one was in the middle of being attacked. All broken windows, bomb damage and sand bags. The whole set had a 1920's feel to it. Have I tried to find that film or what. Now I click on to your site and all is revealed. It was an unmade film. Well unstarted or unfinished or unwhatever. An unmade or unfinished or unwhatever film by none other than Fred "HIGHNOON" Zinnerman. A oriental style picture to be called "A MANS FATE".

Thanks again Roger there will be a place for you at my table anytime.

I loved Stephens piece about "WHERE EAGLES DARE" as well. It's one of my all time favourites anyone who has been in our office could confirm as I have a framed original quad poster overlooking my desk. Stephen mentions befriending a real, in my mind anyway, unsung superstar the late great Alf Joint. I had the great pleasure of talking to him in 1982 when he was working at Pinewood on "THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME". What a very nice quietly spoken man he was. You would never believe what he did for a living listening to his voice. He definitely looked the part though, tall, all shoulders and no waist Then he would refer to you as "old dear" and kill the illusion. Eastwood calls it "WHERE DOUBLES DARE" which is very derogatory in my view. The director of photography gets credit for a film if it looks good he can even get an Oscar for his expertise. So for me should have Alf Joint and all the stunt crew of "WHERE EAGLES DARE".

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Where eagles Dare is a classic, classics can`t be remade !!!!!!!!!

Good to see MGM Borehamwood Again, great stuff....

What a shame it was demolished....

Liked
    0 times
    Classics shouldn't be remade....but if there's money to be made, I don't suppose many Studios would pass up on a quick buck.

Liked
    0 times
    interested in your past working at MGM, I was at MGM same time, I was in the art department and worked a quite a few films in the 60s. I am trying to tack set stills of mans fate especially end of picture crew picture taken on stage 4 which was exterior street and chinese house. I was on the crew for this picture which never got made, despite sets complete ready for shooting and location sets almost finished in Penagn. Would love to trace photos for own records. have many happy memories of working at borehamwood pictures like, goodbye mr chips, dirty dozen, Grand prix, eagles dare, the mercenaries, Capt nemo, strangers in the house, Kelly's heros,battle beneath the earth, plus being loaned out to outside productions, i spent some time at sheperton studios as well happy happy days

Liked
    0 times
    I loved WED up to the point when the helicopter appears because as we all know helicopters were not used during WW2, certainly not by the Germans, but thats because I am fickle and like a bit of accuracy. However the "over the top" performances the action and the excitement make up for the historical errors!

My other favourite Alistair Maclean's include Guns of Navarone (The best of all) When Eight Bells Toll (filmed partly at Duart castle in Scotland) Robert Morley was superb in this. Fear is the Key, Puppet on a Chain great boat chase around Amsterdam. The Satan Bug excellent climax. Breakheart Pass was a strange film the plot never seemed to fit the western genre. Ice Station Zebra for me was overlong and lacked the suspense of the others as did Bear island although I thought the idea was very good.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I loved WED up to the point when the helicopter appears because as we all know helicopters were not used during WW2, certainly not by the Germans, but thats because I am fickle and like a bit of accuracy. However the "over the top" performances the action and the excitement make up for the historical errors!
    From the IMDb Goofs page for the film:

Although helicopters weren't widely used in military operations until well after World War II, the US and Germany had both experimental and production helicopters, but the helicopter shown landing inside the German compound was a Bell model 47 which did not see production until 1947

Steve

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, actually they were going to use an autogyro for the film, but could`nt obtain one to use......according to Peter Mullins the art director....

Lets just put it down to cinematic licence !!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked
    0 times
    Well, actually they were going to use an autogyro for the film, but could`nt obtain one to use......according to Peter Mullins the art director....

Lets just put it down to cinematic licence !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've got it on tape - BUT I always watch it again if it comes on TV - I put it down to Richard Burton!!

Sad or what? :

Liked
    0 times
    Best bit of dialogue in the film?

Richard Burton, explaining to Clint Eastwood how the fake general's plane had been "shot down" by the Germans i.e. they didn't, and the bullet holes were put there by the Bristish.

"What the hell," he says, " a hole is a hole is a hole".

Apparantly, Burton did the film because his young(ish) children were bored with the costume/dialogue heavy dramas he'd been doing.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I enjoy Where Eagles Dare as a good "Boys Own" venture - so un-pc. However,as a regular listener to Ken the Bruce on Radio 2,his regular "Broadsword to Danny Boy" competition with Lynn Bowles,his traffic girl,he has admitted that after watching it numerous times,he still cannot understand Burton's revelations in the big room with Clint,Mary Ure,Robert Beatty,Anton Diffring and Ferdy Mayne. Despite watching it myself countless times,I can't either ..... .

Can anyone clarify,please.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    I enjoy Where Eagles Dare as a good "Boys Own" venture - so un-pc. However,as a regular listener to Ken the Bruce on Radio 2,his regular "Broadsword to Danny Boy" competition with Lynn Bowles,his traffic girl,he has admitted that after watching it numerous times,he still cannot understand Burton's revelations in the big room with Clint,Mary Ure,Robert Beatty,Anton Diffring and Ferdy Mayne. Despite watching it myself countless times,I can't either ..... .

Can anyone clarify,please.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    But delivered in that rich, Welsh voice.....I don't care!!!!

Liked
    2 times
    I have WED on tape but I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THIS FILM. When it comes on the TV I watch it, I think it's a Richard Burton thing too.

Liked
    69 times
    I have WED on tape but I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THIS FILM. When it comes on the TV I watch it, I think it's a Richard Burton thing too.
    I take it you like it then .

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    69 times
    Watching Night Train To Munich the other afternoon,and I see where they got the idea of leaping from cable car to another - this time it was Rex Harrison.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Watching Night Train To Munich the other afternoon,and I see where they got the idea of leaping from cable car to another - this time it was Rex Harrison.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Yep! I watched NTTM as well Marky - I noticed in the end credits that Paul Henreid was listed as Paul von Henreid. I believe he, like many other German/Austrian showbiz folk, fled Germany to America before the maniac's policies took too firm a hold on the Germans.

What a pity the assassination of mad Adolf failed!

Also, didn't Rex have a wonderful gun? I think he got about 30 rounds out of his 5/6 shooter!!!

Liked
    69 times
    Also, didn't Rex have a wonderful gun? I think he got about 30 rounds out of his 5/6 shooter!!!
    Yep,I noticed that .

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Where Eagles Dare? Maybe it's a Richard Burton thing with me too, can't stand any of his film appearances, seen better acting at my local repertory. No, it's not just that, there's just nothing about the film that I like!

There, I feel better for getting that off my chest.

Liked
    69 times
    Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Where Eagles Dare? Maybe it's a Richard Burton thing with me too, can't stand any of his film appearances, seen better acting at my local repertory. No, it's not just that, there's just nothing about the film that I like!

There, I feel better for getting that off my chest.
    Fair comment,716 Jones - it would be a dull world if we all agreed on the same thing.

Ta Ta

Marky B

PS I take it you didn't like RB's contribution to Zulu.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast