Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Fair comment,716 Jones - it would be a dull world if we all agreed on the same thing.

Ta Ta

Marky B

PS I take it you didn't like RB's contribution to Zulu.

It was mercifully brief.

Liked
    0 times
    Saw it in the cinema when it came out - the most adrenaline-charged movie it was possible for a small boy and his pals to see!

I have it on DVD and me and my son try to recite the script before the actors do - but we still love it - especially the music and the camouflaged Junkers 52.

Back to being that kid, that German actress - Ingrid something - she began the stirrings of other, eh . . . anxieties, shall we say . . .the first time I saw her in that film, with her low cut top, and her skirty-thing and, well . . . I think I should stop now.

But seriously, the only other movie I ever saw her in was as a terrorist up against Lewis Collins in Who Dares Wins - was she ever in anything else?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Back to being that kid, that German actress - Ingrid something - she began the stirrings of other, eh . . . anxieties, shall we say . . .the first time I saw her in that film, with her low cut top, and her skirty-thing and, well . . . I think I should stop now.

But seriously, the only other movie I ever saw her in was as a terrorist up against Lewis Collins in Who Dares Wins - was she ever in anything else?

IMDb filmography for Ingrid Pitt

You've probably seen her in quite a few other things but didn't recognise her because she wasn't wearing the low cut top and skirty-thing

Steve

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    That was a fascinating piece by Stephen Pickard, thanks for sharing that with us! WED is on of my favourite films, has the fan website been mentioned? Where Eagles Dare - the unofficial homepage Last winter I took two days out from my Austrian Ski Holiday and accompanied by my brother we took the train to Salzburg then to Werfen where much location filming took place and is of course where the real Castle is that is used in the film. We wondered about the village and rail station with big stupid grins on our faces spotting many of the scenes and camera angles used in the film, good fun! We walked up to the castle which is used as a Falconry centre so certainly living up to its title of "Castle of The Eagles" There is no cable car at the real castle, a steep path gets you up there, another location was used for cable car scenes and the illusion of the cable car leading to the castle was done by a combination of studio and process shots as already very well explained by Stephen. The Where Eagles dare website is well worth a look and goes into every detail and nuance of the film via a forum and message board similar to what we have here on BritMovie

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Like many others, I have this on VHS & DVD, yet when it is on the TV it has to be watched. Like the scene where Eastwood climbs up the wall and in the window and says to Burton thanks for helping me and RB says well nobody helped me, classic line, great film and good to see Barkworth & Wymark away from the boardroom.

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Saw Ingrid Pitt quite a few years ago now in London at an arts, books and comics fair, she was selling memorabilia and photographs of herself from some of the films she appearred in. I remember some of the photos she was completely nude!

Liked
    0 times
    Great post Stephen, even though I have only jsut read it some two years later.

As for the film being worn out, rubbish, I know loads of people who will watch it everytime it is on the telly and then at least once again on their DVD a year!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Thanks Azanti, nice to know it's still being read and appreciated after two years!

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Great post Stephen, even though I have only jsut read it some two years later.

As for the film being worn out, rubbish, I know loads of people who will watch it everytime it is on the telly and then at least once again on their DVD a year!
    I'll second that Azanti, apart from being a great film I will always associate it with being one of our great family outings to the cinema when it was first released

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hear Hear, watched it again on DVD only a couple of weeks ago. As you say, it brought back memories - in my case of a trip to the Odeon, Southampton, to see it when it first came out.

Liked
    0 times
    A riend of mine who was in the series Soldier Soldier told me, when they were filming the battle scenes in Africa, people were actually shotung into their radios 'Broadsword, calling Danny Boy...' during filming....

Liked
    0 times
    After seeing the Dam Busters on the big screen once again a couple of months ago - and playing to a packed house - I came to wondering why, oh why, oh why (repeat this phrase several times before continuing) don't they show great old movies on a regular basis at Cinemas?

Be honest - if the full-length Where Eagles Dare was to be shown down your local cinema, you'd go, wouldn't you?

There must be a demand for it - and bums on seats would surely pay for it.

I think it was William Shakespeare who once said; "Nothing beats the big screen effect"

Yep - definately Shakespeare . . .

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    There must be a demand for it - and bums on seats would surely pay for it.
    I agree .... our local independent cinema used to show 'classic' films every Friday night and Sunday afternoon. It was always packed. However, because the patrons for these showings didn't spend much cash in the bar, they stopped showing the films. So bums on seats wasn't the problem .... it was bums in the bar!

Bats.

Member Country: Spain
    Liked
    0 times
    I knew of this forum yesterday, and I have been lurking at the �Battle of Britain� and �Where eagles dare� treads. Great films both of them, although I prefer the second.

It was two years since you posted your memories Stephen, but was a great surprise, I appreciate a lot you share that information. I�m very interested on British FX history, especially about the matte painting artists. I have never heard of Douglas Adamson, but I known most of the artist and technicians worked uncredited at that time.

Do you remember any other film where he contribute with matte paintings? If you worked at Pinewood Studios maybe you had the chance to known matte artist Cliff Culley.

That book Tom Howard was intention to write should have been terrific good!

Best regards

Domingo

Member Country: Spain
    Liked
    0 times
    Here there goes some images of the castle and the cable car sequence.

Nice display of matte pain tings, model miniature castle, front projection and daring stunt work

Great VFx by Tom Howard.

enjoy

Domingo

Liked
    0 times
    Most of it shot at the late great British MGM Studios in Borehamwood..

Liked
    0 times
    Here there goes some images of the castle and the cable car sequence.

Nice display of matte pain tings, model miniature castle, front projection and daring stunt work

Great VFx by Tom Howard.

enjoy

Domingo
    Fantastic pics . . .

Only the equally-fantastic music is missing.

Whoever wrote it should have got an award for it . . .

But seriously, in my view the blend of visuals and music in Where Eagles are something of a masterpiece in "edge-of-the-seat" cinema.

Broadsword calling . . . er, damn, I've forgotten . . . how does it go again?

Liked
    0 times
    Ron Goodwin did the tip top music..

Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen Where Eagles Dare for quite some time but from what I can remember I really enjoyed it. Pairing two major stars like Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood together was always a good sign and it pays dividents. Thanks for uploading the amazing photos domingo.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Great film. Fascinating to read on here how it was all done. Enjoyed the MGM reminiscences.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast