Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 125
  1. #101
    Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,381
    Liked
    13 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XKGhG0W0LQ


    I could also have inserted the Abba clip 'Thank you for the music' as the whole project came very neatly wrapped right from the first second of the opening credits. Not many films can build and then maintain such a pace.

    Some of the posts on this thread do members credit.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    336
    Liked
    0 times
    heres the rare quad for the film. this poster was replaced early on with the other style we all know. Just got this after ten years of searching. Cost me a small fortune too
    Attached Images

  3. #103
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    542
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice to see that Poster.



    I can't think of anyone better in Burtons part. Dead and Alive.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,872
    Liked
    177 times
    Excited to have found the photo used for the article below:



    More pictures of Elizabeth's visit in the IMDb's Photo Gallery.


    A rougher version from the Daily Mirror, 28th February 1968:



    The message on the cake says: Happy birthday Elizabeth from Richard and Crew. And Elizabeth
    Taylor, 36 yesterday, adopts a suitable happy birthday pose with her husband, Richard Burton.

    The 'crew' are not, as might be supposed, from the Burtons' luxury yacht Beatriz, moored on the Thames. They
    are technicians at
    [MGM British] studios near London, where Burton is making a film called "Where Eagles Dare".
    Last edited by cornershop15; 01-11-13 at 02:32 PM.

  5. #105
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,818
    Liked
    29 times
    Very nice Cornershop - one of my favorite films. I haven't talked to you here in a while. I hope you are well.

  6. #106
    Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    801
    Liked
    63 times
    The only good thing about Where Eagles Dare was the main title music and opening photography of the Junkers Ju-52 as posted above by Bernardo three years ago. As for the story, it was preposterous. The entire movie was a vehicle for Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood who would not have got past a rookie German sentry with their Hollywood costumes, long hair and sideburns. Of course all the Germans are thick and could not hit the side of an alpine barn at twenty meters. I could not stop laughing at the juvenile escapism.

  7. #107
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,818
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    The only good thing about Where Eagles Dare was the main title music and opening photography of the Junkers Ju-52 as posted above by Bernardo three years ago. As for the story, it was preposterous. The entire movie was a vehicle for Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood who would not have got past a rookie German sentry with their Hollywood costumes, long hair and sideburns. Of course all the Germans are thick and could not hit the side of an alpine barn at twenty meters. I could not stop laughing at the juvenile escapism.
    I think you missed the point.

    Where Eagles Dare is not a documentary and it is not intended as serious war drama. It is Burton and Eastwood in an adventure film that is set during the war, with spectacular scenery, good looking women, plenty of action and some humor added.

    There is a place for escapism, especially when it is as entertaining as this.

  8. #108
    Senior Member Country: United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    415
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried to narrow this one down by the "what would you put in the time capsule" or "which would you take on the deserted island" standard. I narrowed them down to three; Great Expectations, the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, and A Taste of Honey. It was the entire cast of actors that sold me on G.E., especially Bernard Miles, who broke my heart with his Joe Gargery. Also the set design for G.E. It was Tom Courtenay that I fell for in Loneliness, because he was so natural without being narcissistic. And finally, it was the taste of North England working class that was painted poignantly, not over harshly. Especially the performance of the great Murray Melvin, who portrayed a character, the likes of which I had never seen in an American film. And the wonderful traditional song on the soundtrack about the big ship sailing. A wistfully sad, but beautiful characterization by Tushingham. Thank you, Brits.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Liked
    1 times
    How can you take Where Eagles Dare seriously? Surely it's like a Bond movie set in the war. It's one of those films for me that if I catch it on TV and say I'll watch it for a bit, I always stay with it. I love the feel of the film, you can almost feel the cold and in the long sequences without music the crunch of snow and cold breath in the air. I have just got into blu-ray but I am reading reviews on quality of picture before buying so I am hoping there is a good release of WED as it's near the top of my list.

  10. #110
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    How can you take Where Eagles Dare seriously? Surely it's like a Bond movie set in the war. It's one of those films for me that if I catch it on TV and say I'll watch it for a bit, I always stay with it. I love the feel of the film, you can almost feel the cold and in the long sequences without music the crunch of snow and cold breath in the air. I have just got into blu-ray but I am reading reviews on quality of picture before buying so I am hoping there is a good release of WED as it's near the top of my list.
    'A Bond movie set in the war' is probably one the best phrases summing up Where Eagles Dare that I've read.
    Compared to other war movies on my shelf, it's no masterpiece. But it's not trying to be a serious drama or historically accurate like a lot of them are. It's a good, fun adventure romp with great atmosphere and excitement. It's the DVD I break out when I want to watch a WWII film, but I don't want to watch something as depressing or downbeat as Letters From Iwo Jima or Das Boot.

  11. #111
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,128
    Liked
    9 times
    Where Eagles Dare is not a documentary and it is not intended as serious war drama. It is Burton and Eastwood in an adventure film that is set during the war, with spectacular scenery, good looking women, plenty of action and some humor added.
    I think another phrase would be 'enjoyable hokum'. The plot is slightly convoluted, doesn't always make much sense (as far as a proper intelligence operation is concerned) and Burton/Eastwood/Ure/Pitt use a unfeasibly huge amount of ammo at the end. There is also no way a JU52 could have reached the German/Austrian Alps from the UK (or probably even southern Italy), and have made it back. On the other hand, its doesn't really matter, since its 'enjoyable hokum'. Think of it in much the same way as 'Independence Day/Die Hard' (dont think about the story...) with Nazi's and lots (and lots) of shooting. And a really good cast, and a great score. I've always wondered how Ingrid Pitt felt about it, since she spent the war actually growing up in a concentration camp, but ithe film was something of a break in career terms

    I remember Kim Newman writing that WED was the favourite film of his school classmates when he was in his early teens, since it had a huge bodycount and lots of action - and when I was about 10, it was probably our favourite too, for exactly the same reasons (The Dirty Dozen was also popular).

    Its out on Blu-ray, where there is a perfectly nice review http://www.avforums.com/review/where...ay-review.2316 ('The plot is a stupidly convoluted excuse to have endless battles in the snow. The high-altitude, high-camp drama is often stale, crusty and laborious and yet ... and yet ... we love it, don't we? '), and you can get it for about �6.50 by itself, and as a double issue with Kelly's Hero's for less than a tenner. Get some beers in, and that your evening sorted...
    Last edited by MikeB; 03-11-13 at 09:53 PM.

  12. #112
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    815
    Liked
    4 times
    It was renamed Where Doubles Dare by Clint Eastwood which goes to show how serious he took it. As for Mr Burton he got one of the best percentage deals ever for making it so it was pretty serious for him. But the real star for me was Burton's double Alf Joint who among other things knocked himself out jumping from one cable car to another. I wonder what he got out of it apart from concussion? I believe the director went on to become....a plumber.

  13. #113
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    202
    Liked
    0 times
    For heaven's sake it was based on an Alistair Maclean novel. Not exactly known for gritty realism and painstaking historical research....

  14. #114
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    Where Eagles Dare is a terrific action film. Anyone who tries to analyse it as anything other than a boy's own/Bond style adventure is totally missing the point. It's huge popularity after more than 40 years is proof of what a successful genre example it is.

  15. #115
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    875
    Liked
    15 times
    "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy" .... And someone else must have thought it memorable.

    (Love one of the comments on the Youtube clip of this part of the film .... From Nick Brown : "dont ever, ever say "Broadsword calling Danny boy" whilst pretending to use your girlfriends nipples as radio dials. Take it from me!")

    ROFLMAO
    Last edited by Arthur Linden-Jones; 05-11-13 at 11:17 PM.

  16. #116
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,128
    Liked
    9 times
    "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy"
    Apparently this phrase was used to signal that Rebreka Brooks laptop (at the time sought by police) was being dumped (ultimately unsuccessfully). Its safe to say that the film has entered the 'cultural icon' phase.

  17. #117
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    875
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Apparently this phrase was used to signal that Rebreka Brooks laptop (at the time sought by police) was being dumped (ultimately unsuccessfully). Its safe to say that the film has entered the 'cultural icon' phase.
    Sorry, wasn't quite clear - that was the "someone" I was referring to in my post.

  18. #118
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,818
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    I think another phrase would be 'enjoyable hokum'. The plot is slightly convoluted, doesn't always make much sense (as far as a proper intelligence operation is concerned) and Burton/Eastwood/Ure/Pitt use a unfeasibly huge amount of ammo at the end. There is also no way a JU52 could have reached the German/Austrian Alps from the UK (or probably even southern Italy), and have made it back. On the other hand, its doesn't really matter, since its 'enjoyable hokum'. Think of it in much the same way as 'Independence Day/Die Hard' (dont think about the story...) with Nazi's and lots (and lots) of shooting. And a really good cast, and a great score. I've always wondered how Ingrid Pitt felt about it, since she spent the war actually growing up in a concentration camp, but ithe film was something of a break in career terms

    I remember Kim Newman writing that WED was the favourite film of his school classmates when he was in his early teens, since it had a huge bodycount and lots of action - and when I was about 10, it was probably our favourite too, for exactly the same reasons (The Dirty Dozen was also popular).

    Its out on Blu-ray, where there is a perfectly nice review http://www.avforums.com/review/where...ay-review.2316 ('The plot is a stupidly convoluted excuse to have endless battles in the snow. The high-altitude, high-camp drama is often stale, crusty and laborious and yet ... and yet ... we love it, don't we? '), and you can get it for about �6.50 by itself, and as a double issue with Kelly's Hero's for less than a tenner. Get some beers in, and that your evening sorted...
    Yes, its appeal is similar to The Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes.

    I think of The Great Escape as my other favorite wartime adventure, although that was a much better film and in a different class, as well as being based on a true story. But they are both terrifically entertaining.

  19. #119
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    542
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    Where Eagles Dare is a terrific action film. Anyone who tries to analyse it as anything other than a boy's own/Bond style adventure is totally missing the point. It's huge popularity after more than 40 years is proof of what a successful genre example it is.
    I think Batman has hit the nail on the head there.

  20. #120
    Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,381
    Liked
    13 times
    Would never admit it being among my favourites BUT when it comes round on the box I watch it from beginning to end. As Batman said it is a 'Boy's Own adventure' PLUS that fantastic soundtrack that grabs you from the very beginning. The production team shows British cinematic skill at it's best.
    Last edited by Bernardo; 01-01-14 at 09:39 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where Eagles Dare
    By mrs_emma_peel in forum Films on TV
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19-01-12, 12:22 AM
  2. Where Eagles Dare In Blu-Ray
    By schaffer in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-06-10, 12:23 PM
  3. "where eagles dare" on blu-ray
    By schaffer in forum Latest DVD Releases
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-12-09, 05:16 PM
  4. Cinema Retro - Where eagles dare Magazine
    By Davoo in forum Publications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-07-09, 10:14 AM
  5. where eagles dare (40 years Anniversary)
    By schaffer in forum Media Studies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-01-09, 12:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts