Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm looking fror the 1960 version of Village of the Damned.

I've never seen it in the shops but remember it as a great film.

Please PM me,

Thank you

Steve.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    You can get it from here.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by MarcMorris@Sep 4 2005, 11:37 AM

You can get it from here.

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

thank you but they're all region 1 dvd's plus I think they're the 1995 version (I think)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by stephen symons@Sep 4 2005, 11:48 AM

thank you but they're all region 1 dvd's plus I think they're the 1995 version (I think)

Sorry I can't help you, my VHS copy got chewed up years ago. Great film though, incidently, the village used in that film is Letchmore Heath, Hertfordshire, a couple of miles from Elstree studios. A great place if you wanna escape from modern day life [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    0 times

It is the 1960 version doubled up with the 1963 sequel Children of the Damned. Sadly - for those without multi-region players - the R1 version is the only one around at the moment.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times

No if you click on the small image it will show the cast of these two classics and they are the original versions. Most annoying though that you cannot buy R2 versions here. I have been putting off buying these myself hoping for terrestrial repeats, both these films used to be shown quite frequently.

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    0 times
    Check item number 6427483278 at ebay. somebody is offering a code 2 DVD with that film (closes in 6 hours).

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    TCM or turner classic movies (on SKY) repeat it quite often, at least once a month

Next showing on TCM

Genre Sci Fi Movie

Actors George Sanders, Barbara Shelley, Michael Gwynn, Laurence Naismith

Directors Wolf Rilla

Date Released 1960

Colour B/W

Next Showing Sunday, October 23, 17:35

Liked
    0 times
    Rather than opt for an eBay bootleg release (copied from the US disc) just get yourself a multi-region player. Thye're cheap enough - you can pick one up for around £30 - so I really don't see the problem with R1 discs. I have way more R1 than R2.

Multi Region DVD Players

Liked
    7 times
    Does anyone had a copy of the version of Wolf Rilla's Village of the Damned which does NOT have the glowing eyes.

I have the DVD version which does and also a copy taped off TCM which does as well.

thanks

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I have not seen this in a while so could you clarify the children's glowing eyes a bit more ?

Whereabouts this occurs etc ?

Liked
    0 times
    I'm sure both The Dammed and Children of the Dammed are without the glowing eyes, do you mean these films? I can't recall Village of the Dammed being without, a great film and such an iconic effect.

Liked
    0 times
    I have a copy of 'Village of the Damned' recorded from TV a number of years ago that does NOT have the glowing eye effects, other than that it's the same film.

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    So I understand, the glowing eyes was the USA print as it was deemed too scarey for the UK, hence the 2 versions. The box set of the films shows the glowing eyes, but i do remember years ago the non glowing eyes version on TV.

Liked
    0 times
    This is why I love Britmovie, you think you know a film pretty well and then someone comes along and blasts you with new info. The wiki article below seems to cover the issue of the eyes pretty well. Thanks m35541 for this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village...281960_film%29

Liked
    7 times
    have not seen this in a while so could you clarify the children's glowing eyes a bit more ?

Whereabouts this occurs etc ?

In the scene in which the guy is forced to drive the truck into a wall, David's eyes glow. They also glow when he makes the guy set himself on fire when the mob approach the school.

Several of the childrens' eyes glow when they force the guy to kill himself with the shotgun.

(at least they do on the DVD version and also the version shown a few years ago on TCM)

Unfortunately, the BBFC no longer have their file on this film so it is not possible to tell if this was required for censorship or not. I have seen a copy of the UK poster and it shows the kids' eyes glowing. Maybe this was in the UK theatrical print after all?

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks ican and m35541.

Alternative UK prints without the 'glowing eyes' effects exist, which show that during the final sequence, in the close ups, the kids widen their eyes as they 'attack' Zellaby's mind unlike the freeze frames with added glowing eyes used in the American prints. Another example is a slight smile that David makes after setting one of the villagers on fire in the UK print; the freeze frames of the American print obviously do not contain such subtle detail. This print also has a credit for being filmed at MGM's British studios, that is not on the American prints. According to Peter Preidel who played one of the children in the film the initial UK release in June 1960 had no glowing eyes; they were added for the American release in December 1960. The Guardian newspaper claimed in an article in 2003 that the British censors precluded the use of glowing eye effects in the initial UK release as being too horrific.

"And now we come to the nitty-gritty: why didn't the Children's eyes glow in the recent BBC screening? When I originally saw the film back in Australia as a kid I was particularly taken (i.e. scared witless) by the way the Children's eyes glowed whenever they used their mind powers. I'm sure I've seen the same version since but, as with the last BBC screening, I've also seen the movie sans glowing eyes. Why two versions?" from a review by John Brosnan, Starburst Magazine No.173 January 1993, after a screening of the film on BBC2 during 1992.

The 1992 BBC2 screening is probably the one I have here but will check for sure.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']T

"And now we come to the nitty-gritty: [B]why didn't the Children's eyes glow in the recent BBC screening?

Probably because they now look like Mr Flibble getting very cross in Red Dwarf...

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't imagine that movie without the glowing eyes. And any censor that would ban glowing eyes is an idiot.

Liked
    144 times
    name='will.15']I can't imagine that movie without the glowing eyes. And any censor that would ban glowing eyes is an idiot.

As dangerous communists aliens the clones childrens must have their eyes glowing, otherwise how would you identified them !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast