Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Cook

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Michael Palin is doing a four parter on Peter Cook . . Fridays at 11.30am. Radio 4. The first was on last week though can be heard on the BBC radio web site in the listen again feature.

The first one had the one legged Tarzan Sketch which Peter wrote when he was only 18. He mentions that that was his all time favourite and could never better it.

regards

Freddy

Liked
    151 times
    Cook is the best, say comedians

More than 300 comedians, comedy writers, producers and directors on both sides of the Atlantic were asked to rank the biggest names in comedy.

Cook was named the world`s most talented comedian, followed by Fawlty Towers and Monty Python star John Cleese in second place, American film-maker Woody Allen and the late Eric Morecambe.

The list of 50 top comedians, compiled for the Channel 4 show The Comedians` Comedian, is dominated by British talent.

Tommy Cooper, who died after collapsing on stage in 1984, is sixth in the list, Scottish stand-up Billy Connolly eighth and double act Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer ninth.

Today`s top-rated British comedians include Steve Coogan (17), cross-dresser Eddie Izzard (19), Have I Got News for You? star Paul Merton (20), Phoenix Nights creator and star Peter Kay (22) and Blackadder creator Rowan Atkinson (24).

At 26th in the list, Harry Hill, the doctor turned comedian famous for TV Burp, has been voted funnier than Monty Python star Michael Palin (30), The Young Ones star Rik Mayall (34) and British wit Stephen Fry (39).

The talent behind The Office, Ricky Gervais, is also in the top 50 list, although at 49th he ranks below more established stars.

Women have fared less well - the highest ranking female is Victoria Wood at 27, followed by French and Saunders at 31.

The only other females in the top 50 are US star of the barbed one-liners Joan Rivers, at 40, followed by the late British comedienne Joyce Grenfell, who appeared as Sgt Ruby Gates in the St Trinian`s films.

Although Cook is voted number one, his comedy partner Dudley Moore is absent from the top 50.

Cook`s partnership with Moore in the Not Only...But Also TV shows made the pair one of the funniest double acts of all time.

Morecambe`s partner Ernie Wise is also absent and, while Ronnie Barker makes it to 16th place, sidekick Ronnie Corbett does not get a mention.

American comic favourites include screen star Groucho Marx in fifth place, Laurel and Hardy in seventh spot, and US stand-up and screen star Richard Pryor in tenth place.

Other US stars include Steve Martin (15), Eddie Murphy (32), Jackie Mason (43), Bill Cosby (47) and The Producers writer Mel Brooks (50).

Little Britain stars Matt Lucas and David Walliams are not in the list.

Tributes to Cook included Canadian Austin Powers star Mike Myers, who was voted 48th in the list, and said of the late British comedian: "I didn`t know dirty words could be done that artfully."

Arthur Smith said: "He had talent oozing out of him and he hardly had to exert himself as he was so brilliantly funny.

"He influenced a whole generation of people - even now he`s spoken of in terms of awe."

US star Greg Proops said: "There`s a kind of insanity which is in his eyes, when he`s trying to do dead corpse, and that`s where all the magic is, in that evil, evil brilliant devil."

The results were broadcast on Channel 4 show The Comedians Comedian yesterday.

The 50 top comedians:

1. Peter Cook

2. John Cleese

3. Woody Allen

4. Eric Morecambe

5. Groucho Marx

6. Tommy Cooper

7. Laurel and Hardy

8. Billy Connolly

9. Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer

10. Richard Pryor

11. Chris Morris

12. Tony Hancock

13. Bill Hicks

14. Peter Sellers

15. Steve Martin

16. Ronnie Barker

17. Steve Coogan

18. Charlie Chaplin

19. Eddie Izzard

20. Paul Merton

21. Eric Idle

22. Peter Kay

23. Larry David

24. Rowan Atkinson

25. Bob Hope

26. Harry Hill

27. Victoria Wood

28. Spike Milligan

29. Christopher Guest

30. Michael Palin

31. French and Saunders

32. Eddie Murphy

33. Bob Monkhouse

34. Rik Mayall

35. Steven Wright

36. Ken Dodd

37. Les Dawson

38. Chic Murray

39. Stephen Fry

40. Joan Rivers

41. Joyce Grenfell

42. Phil Silvers

43. Jackie Mason

44. Eric Sykes

45. Robin Williams

46. Paul Whitehouse

47. Bill Cosby

48. Mike Myers

49. Ricky Gervais

50. Mel Brooks.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Am I the only one who thought Peter Cook was totally unfunny :mad:

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Liked
    0 times
    I found this all rather amazing.

Peter Cook at No1, yet no mention of partner in crime Dudley Moore, likewise with other double acts; Ernie Wise and Ronnie Corbett.

I would have placed a bet on Morecambe being No1. but John Cleese at No2 above Eric Morecambe??

I would have thought, too, that Tommy Cooper would have ranked a lot higher.

But this is Channel4, who have dumbed down no end in recent years, their main output nowadays being Big Brother or pointless 'countdowns' like this.

And another excuse to use Jimmy Carr, who has made a career out of being bland and uninteresting in addition to being talentless.

Liked
    151 times
    I thought there was a bit more depth to the Beebs best sitcom given each nominee was given their own show that went into the making.

The CH4 polls are just lazy (cheaply produced) clip shows with a few talking heads. Even celebs must be tiring of the format as Joan Rivers seemed to pad out most of the comedians poll.

Can't really argue with Peter Cook winning and there was little point including Dud as he was little more than a corpseing soundboard. The follow-on Derek and Clive show was pretty raw and you couldn't help but feel for Dud enduring some of Cook's more poisonous diatribes.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Rhys Ifan was outstanding as Peter Cook in one of the highlights of Christmas, Not Only But Always. As you say though the follow on Derek and Clive, if Cook had used his fists on Dudley as cruelly as he used his words ......

Although it could be handy to have a top 50 of comedians let us also remember the comedy writers. I know Cook used his own material but it would be interesting to find out what percentage of the others wrote all/most their own stuff. So lets hear it for John Junkin, Barry Took and Barry Cryer, Eddie Braben, David Croft and Jimmy Perry, Roy Clarke, George Layton, many many others and also John Sullivan who's writing has given us more laughs and pathos than the majority of those in the top 50.

Lastly though the final word I will give to the late George Carmen QC when defending Ken Dodd on tax charges. (Dodd who is notorious for staying on far longer than he should) Carmen turned to one of his counsel and said thats he's afraid Doddy might get five years and do seven.

regards

Freddy

Liked
    3 times
    Peter Cook - In His Own Words on BBC Radio 4

Michael Palin trawls Peter Cook's back catalogue for the funniest interviews and sketches that Cook ever recorded. Episode 1/4. High Table at Radley School through to Beyond the Fringe.

I heard it a few minutes ago on Listen Again and its very enjoyable.

Quite remarkable when you learn that at the age of just 20 he was writing professionally for Kenneth Williams, and still a student!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Is it true that Peter Cook heard the BBC was going to erase tapes of his old TV shows, and he attempted to buy the tapes outright, or to buy replacement blanks so those new blanks could be used and those old programs saved?

Then the BBC said, "Sorry, we love bureaucracy too much and since this hasn't been covered in our paperwork, we're not creative enough to be caretakers of art and are therefore only willing to destroy art like we always do."

Is this a true list of events?

It's a good thing that Copyright is NEVER used to bury or destroy art, eh?

Imagine... keeping it out of the hands of the creators. Yeah, that's a great use of copyright. "We prefer to destroy art than let someone who created it keep it."

Liked
    151 times
    I'm not sure about Cook's offer, that sounds the stuff of autobiographies.

The BBC erased loads of shows for space saving reasons, often live shows and the tapes were re-used for news broadcasts. If the Beeb had any notion about the progress of technology and home video markets they'd have obviously stored nearly everything and cashed-in.

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    Is it true that Peter Cook heard the BBC was going to erase tapes of his old TV shows, and he attempted to buy the tapes outright, or to buy replacement blanks so those new blanks could be used and those old programs saved?

Then the BBC said, "Sorry, we love bureaucracy too much and since this hasn't been covered in our paperwork, we're not creative enough to be caretakers of art and are therefore only willing to destroy art like we always do."

Is this a true list of events?

It's a good thing that Copyright is NEVER used to bury or destroy art, eh?

Imagine... keeping it out of the hands of the creators. Yeah, that's a great use of copyright. "We prefer to destroy art than let someone who created it keep it."
    I have read mixed views on this. There was even talk of Peter Cook using a quad VTR machine to try and copy some of the material before it was wiped. However this was dismissed since you had to be trained to line a 2" Quad machine up to achieve play back as well as the unions going mad if anyone not on the VT staff used them!

Senior Member Country: Albania
    Liked
    0 times
    My understanding is that Cook didn't find out that the tapes had been wiped until the early 1990s, when he and Dudley Moore got together to devise a series of compilation programmes.

Whereupon Cook insisted that the title be changed to [i]The Best of What's Left of Not Only But Also[i].

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    I have my doubts on the truth of it too....in the sixties, the tapes the programmes were held on were incredibly expensive, hence the rate of reuse. For the price of four tapes you could buy a brand new Mini...

.....it was a hell of a chunk out of the programmes budget.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    We received the DVD of the made-for-TV show "NOT ONLY BUT ALWAYS", the 'story' of Peter Cook's and Dudley Moore's collaboration.

This tale is printed up as a Special Feature.

I hope it's not true. We know the BBC has great care for its art and would never get rid of treasures but would always maintain the highest standards. I'm almost certain we could entrust the Mona Lisa to them.

As long as they didn't need the canvas to wipe up a spill or something.

I mean - just imagine them justifying wiping out tapes because they had a procedure written up for it and couldn't be smart or creative enough to imagine so other alternative. Surely that would NEVER happen.

cough cough gag gag

Image, I can image the unions could EASILY step in and insist their right to work is far more important than any work of art, so destroy it but maintain union dues.

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    I have my doubts on the truth of it too....in the sixties, the tapes the programmes were held on were incredibly expensive, hence the rate of reuse. For the price of four tapes you could buy a brand new Mini...

.....it was a hell of a chunk out of the programmes budget.
    Well indeed, due to this fact a programme budget never included the cost of the 2" quad tapes needed to make it. Don't forget that a program would have been recorded as a studio session with around two or three quad tapes been used. These would have been edited onto a possible broadcast tape. The studio tapes would be wiped then once overseas sales had been achieved the TX version could be wiped and re-used aswell. Since splicing of VT tape was also a common part of editing VT for broadcast in the 1960's many tapes started to fall apart after a number of programmes had been dubbed onto them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    Image, I can image the unions could EASILY step in and insist their right to work is far more important than any work of art, so destroy it but maintain union dues.

Yes but in their eyes 'Tape wiping' was just BBC process at the time. Their focus would be on maintaining that the correct people were doing the wiping, recording and editing work to the tapes stored in the various stores. We covered this area once in an email on why BBC material is no longer in the archives, like the Peter Cushing Sherlock Holmes series.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    A plaque is to be displayed outside London's Establishment Club

LINK BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Comic Cook honoured with plaque

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    I wonder what it's going to say...

"I'll tell you the worse job I ever 'ad..."

Liked
    2 times
    Peter Cook

"I never did have anything against your right leg..."

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby1987
    Peter Cook

"I never did have anything against your right leg..."
    But neither have you

This is your 11th Kamikaze mission.

My 3 kids share my love of the visual arts and when gathered we sit with some booze, watch one of our favourites and recite the lines as they come. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketches are among our favourites.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    My 3 kids share my love of the visual arts and when gathered we sit with some booze, watch one of our favourites and recite the lines as they come. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketches are among our favourites.

With the children about, presumably not Derek & Clive

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    That's great news - my favorite role of his was in "The Wrong Box." Funny movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast