Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this fairly recently and I thought it one of Richard Burton's best performances; just the right amount of overacting to give you the willies.

Liked
    0 times
    A big favourite of mine also , i watch it at least once a year since getting the special edition dvd. the destruction of the church/abbey scene is very well done and the chilling voice of burton is so effective and make his powers seem almost possible.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    I love this film because it's so completely crazy, then what else would you expect from Lew Grade and Elliot Kastner.

This is a nihilists fantasy dressed up as an (impending) disaster movie in the wake of the Omen. Take everything you hate about the state, the church, military, the judiciary and then imagine you could destroy it all just with the power of the mind, well that's just what Richard Burton as the misanthropic writer John Morlar does.

If you find the political polemic not to your taste, there's still the prospect of watching a host of top British character actors being dispatached through some dodgy special effects, including crashing model planes and collapsing buildings made of polystyrene masonry. My favourite cause of destruction being a pre war Morris 8 Tourer with a mind of it's own!

But it's just so entertaining you can forgive it's absurdities. As Richard Burton's eyes flash and the violins strike up on Michael J. Lewis's jarring musical score, you just know you are in for a good time.

Theres a great gallery of British talent to enjoy and only in a Lew Grade film would you get an Italian actor Lino Ventura playing a Frenchman, dubbed by an Englishman (David De Keyzer I think).

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I love this film because it's so completely crazy, then what else would you expect from Lew Grade and Elliot Kastner.

This is a nihilists fantasy dressed up as an (impending) disaster movie in the wake of the Omen. Take everything you hate about the state, the church, military, the judiciary and then imagine you could destroy it all just with the power of the mind, well that's just what Richard Burton as the misanthropic writer John Morlar does.

If you find the political polemic not to your taste, there's still the prospect of watching a host of top British character actors being dispatached through some dodgy special effects, including crashing model planes and collapsing buildings made of polystyrene masonry. My favourite cause of destruction being a pre war Morris 8 Tourer with a mind of it's own!

But it's just so entertaining you can forgive it's absurdities. As Richard Burton's eyes flash and the violins strike up on Michael J. Lewis's jarring musical score, you just know you are in for a good time.

Theres a great gallery of British talent to enjoy and only in a Lew Grade film would you get an Italian actor Lino Ventura playing a Frenchman, dubbed by an Englishman (David De Keyzer I think).

The score is great, I agree. I've got it on CD, and it's frequently played! Lino is indeed dubbed by David de Keyser.

This is about the last film I was able to sit round into the next performance; I arrived late at the cinema and so sat through the film until it started again. No chucking out the patrons in those days!

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Confession time. I think that I was about 10 years old when I first saw "The Medusa Touch" on TV.It made such a massive impression on me that I spent many days trying to emulate John Morlar. I can remember the sense of disappointment when I realised that it wasn't true, or maybe I just wasn't doing it right. It remains one of my all time favourite films and I put the DVD on every time I feel a grudge coming on.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Windscale.....

Good film, scared the hell out of me...

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Enjoyed watching Network's blu-ray of this today, as with most of the above posters it spooked me out when I was a kid. It's one of those films I seem to be able to watch over and again. Lino Ventura's french detective adds an enjoyable twist to it all, the score is irresistible and Burton chills to the bone.
    The scene where Michael Hordern reads Burton's future still gets me now......aaarrgghhh!!!

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd all but forgotten this film until I saw this thread - Can't remember the last time it was on? Why do the classic movie channels on Sky never show classics like this?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    A great, but somewhat forgotten film - being part of the ITC parade of movies from the 1970's, it tends to get underrated, but Burton is great - his courtroom scene is so full of bile and disgust, you know immediately what the character is about. Its a shame about the plastic bouncing rubble, but its easily ignored. I'm now going have to track down the score as well.

I might wait until I can can get the Blu-ray version, but I bought the poster some time ago on Ebay - very simple, but very effective.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trough View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I first saw it on TV sometime in the mid-80s - I'm too young to have seen it at the cinema - and it made a big impression on me. Actually, I know quite a few people of my age group who had a similar experience. Funny that these days a lot of people remember it but it doesn't get the same adulatory attention as, say, The Omen.

A lot of memorable stuff, and some great performances from the likes of Burton and Michael Hordern. The spectacular destruction of Westminster Abbey looks notably convincing.

Particularly shocking is the plane crashing into the tower block. Can't see that getting a showing on TV before a few more years have passed...

I recall it as one of the Saturday evening films in the early/mid 1980s. As well as Richard Burton, Harry Andrews comes to mind playing a high ranking policeman. I must see about getting a copy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12