Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I could never quite make out the name of the Bully who slaps Hayley's character in the Playground, the Kids call him something like 'Pato' or 'Plato', anyone have any ideas? there dosen't seem to be anything on the cast list at IMDB

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    "The youngest brother, played by Alan Barnes, made just one other film.

He was in the superb film "The Victors" in 1963 and then seems to have chucked it all in at the ripe old age of about 12."

This has been the subject of a previous thread and IIRC the Alan Barnes in 'The Victors' was another, different Alan Barnes

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The first film I ever saw theatrically (I might have been seven or eight years old); I remember staring at that huge screen in wide-eyed wonder, and identified totally with the children. I still have a tremendous affection for it.

'It's Jesus!'

Liked
    0 times
    Yes a really great british film. You missed out the best bit of the line' It's Jesus'.

After the children discover 'the fugitive' hiding in the barn one of the children says' its Jesus ! another small boy responds with....nah...its just a fella! Thats a line that has stuck with me for many years and it always makes me smile.

Liked
    0 times
    Great film and if you don't want to spoil a great memory never, never, never go and see the stage musical it's shite.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Man
    Yes a really great british film. You missed out the best bit of the line' It's Jesus'.

After the children discover 'the fugitive' hiding in the barn one of the children says' its Jesus ! another small boy responds with....nah...its just a fella! Thats a line that has stuck with me for many years and it always makes me smile.
    For some reason 'It's Jesus' sticks with me more; probably - and you'll possibly appreciate this - it was the first time I'd ever seen a film in which some of the characters spoke pretty much as I did; it's all in the delivery (speaking of which, I watched 'Sherlock Holmes Faces Death last night, the action set in Northumbria, and much fun with the Hollywood ex-pats trying - and failing miserably - to deliver some semblance of a regional accent north of Watford...)

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    I could never quite make out the name of the Bully who slaps Hayley's character in the Playground, the Kids call him something like 'Pato' or 'Plato', anyone have any ideas? there dosen't seem to be anything on the cast list at IMDB
    I think they call him Pato. Anyway according to the audio commentary by Hayley Mills the lad who played him was Barry Dean. But to confuse matters more IMDb show Barry Dean as playing the part of Raymond. Maybe Pato was his surname?

Liked
    0 times
    Whenever anyone says Jesus to me I think of Alan Bates scrounging a cigarette.

Liked
    0 times
    And a wonderful musical theme written by Sir Malcolm Arnold.

I thought it was a brilliant film just the kind of fare I wanted serving up on Sunday afternoon as a ten year old chorister shortly before attending Evensong.

From a philosophical point there is ample evidence to suggest that Jesus was alive and well and speaking Amaraic 2000years ago. He may well have been a fan of Dire Straits, I don't know.

Most kids chose to believe he was the son of God because that's what they were told at school.

As an adult I think I could easily revisit WDTW and enjoy it for what it was.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maralyn
    I,like many of you, saw this at the cinema when it came out in the early sisxties. I loved it and so did my Mother. I still have the 45 record of the sound track which was very haunting. It started for me a great love of Hayley Mills films( I was seven at the time) so from a childs view it was simply wonderful. Whether you watch it with your inner child present or as a big grown up, it still stands the test of time.

Maralyn
    Just thought that all you fans of this movie might like to know a little inside info re the music in this movie.

As a lowly sound assitant working at Pinewood at the time of the music recording I worked at the recording session for this movie.

This was a full orchestra with a full complement of string sections including a lady harpist.

In those days the music was recorded in sections with the picture . After one particular section that was quite emotional the conductor Malcolm Arnold asked for a play back with picture of the section . This was set in motion and as usual most of the orchestra turned around in their seats the view what they had just recorded .

At the end of the section when they turned back to face the conductor he noticed that the lady harpist had tears streaming down her face, he turned to Brian Forbes who was standing close by and remarked to him "You have definitely got a winner here Brian".

How right he was!

Liked
    0 times
    In 2003 BBC Birmingham showed a 20 min documentary on Whistle Down the Wind in the Big Screen Brittain series with Ben Fogle. In it they visit the original shooting location and interview many of the participants including Bryan Forbes, Haley Mills, Diane Holgate and several of the other children. If interested in a copy please PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    "The youngest brother, played by Alan Barnes, made just one other film.

He was in the superb film "The Victors" in 1963 and then seems to have chucked it all in at the ripe old age of about 12."

This has been the subject of a previous thread and IIRC the Alan Barnes in 'The Victors' was another, different Alan Barnes
    Totally wrong. I just had a look. The small boy in the scene with George Peppard IS Alan Barnes.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember watching this film at the age of 11 and couldnt help shedding a tear mindful of the fact that boys weren't supposed to cry I had to pretend to my parents that I wasnt crying.

Very moving especially thorugh the eyes of a child. I agree with the member who metnioned the haunting theme music.

Senior Member Country: England Owlett's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Boom Man

Thanks for that wonderful insight.

Because of this film, Hayley Mills must have been one of my first crushes too. On declaring my heart's design, I seem to recall in perhaps '66-67, my Mother and Father chorusing..'but she's a grown woman now!'. Ah, the cruel tricks of Fate!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlett

Because of this film, Hayley Mills must have been one of my first crushes too.
    Hayley was my first crush when I was a young boy. I fell madly in love with her after seeing Tiger Bay.

Liked
    1 times
    always remember the music from this film for some reason

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Hayley was my first crush when I was a young boy. I fell madly in love with her after seeing Tiger Bay.
    I too, had a crush on Hayley when i was a young boy, after seeing her in 'The Truth About Spring'. We used to have a bill board at the top of our street it was on the wall of my friends house on the corner, with the poster for whats on at the ABC. (they used to get free tickets for having it on the wall of their house) I remember running to the top of the hill and just stairing at her picture, then one day i went up to see it, and next week's film was stuck over the top of it. On-to my next crush.

Liked
    1 times
    What happened to Alan Barnes? What a great kid! Great actor. My favourite line: "T'int Jesus � it's just a feller!"

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film with my Mum on its release when I was about 8 years old, and although the allegorical nature of some of its scenes were lost on me at that age it has remained a favourite of mine ever since. I recall going (again with my Mum) to Hubble's record shop to buy the single of the theme tune.

I love the way the film opens with the children following the farm-hand who is on his way to drown some unwanted kittens. The misty fields and the sound of crows calling in the still air, gosh, marvellous.

And the gentle humour of the meeting with the Vicar and the Sally Army.

Then of course the party, with that jaunty arrangement of 'We Three Kings' and the discovery of the childrens' secret.

Malcolm Arnold always had a wonderful 'upward' effect in his music that he used many times without it wearing thin.

It's a marvellous film from beginning to end, and certainly one of Forbes' best.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    A truly lovely film - one of the best British films IMO.

I too had a crush on Hayley Mills after seeing her in this.

I did record this when it was broadcast on CH4 a few years ago, but, the tape was "eaten" by my old VHS player a while ago So I'll have to purchase it on DVD.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast