Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Diane Holgate is a friend of mine.She never acted again,as she was not a professional actress,and she was just selected from her school for the part.(Along with Alan Barnes).

She now works in a bank,just recently locating back to Clitheroe,after spending many years in Northwich,Cheshire.She is a lovely lady who is very proud of the film.

Alan Barnes lives in Ribchester Lancs,and runs some sort of joinery business.Diane last saw him about 2 years ago.

Barry Dean did play the part of Raymond,and i have always presumed his surname might have been Patterson,resulting in Patto for short.He now lives in Scotland.

I will be meeting up with Diane again in November,on my next trip to the north west

Liked
    0 times
    Just joined after seeing Whistle Down the Wind. I had never seen this enchanting film before and it stayed in my thoughts for days. It is a masterpeice of the period. Is it possible to download the BBC documentary of the revisit to the shooting location?

I am amazed that Diane Holgate was never an actress - she played her role equally as well as Haley Mills, with great natural ability.

Quote Originally Posted by cretancorrespo
    In 2003 BBC Birmingham showed a 20 min documentary on Whistle Down the Wind in the Big Screen Brittain series with Ben Fogle. In it they visit the original shooting location and interview many of the participants including Bryan Forbes, Haley Mills, Diane Holgate and several of the other children. If interested in a copy please PM.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Is the Alan Barnes who appeared in Love Actually the same guy? A few things I've read seem to indicate that it is - if so, why did he come back into films after so long away?

I adore Whistle Down The Wind by the way: one of the first films I ever saw and it grows with each viewing. Absolutely brilliant. But please don't mention the musical version which is just a squirm-fest from beginning to end. In the film the chemistry between the growing Hayley Mills and the Christ-figure murderer Alan Bates keeps you glued to the screen; it's very different to the relationship in Tiger Bay (also featuring a young Mills).

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I haven't seen this in years and was thinking of getting a copy to show the family. Is there anything "nasty" that happens ? My 13 year old is easily upset and I don't want a repeat of "Ring OF Bright Water" a year or two back.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Only at the beginning, where one of the farm workers tries to drown some kittens in a sack, by thowing them into a pond, but the kittens are rescued within a minute of this happening by a group of children. Later in the film one of the kittens is found dead from natural causes, there's also a bit of playground bullying and thats about it. If you are going to watch it I don't want to give too much away and spoil it for you.

It's a lovely film, well worth watching with an appeal for people of all ages.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I also haven't seen the film for years - not since BBC2's brilliant Bryan Forbes season in 1985 - and also rate it highly, but am a bit disturbed to read about the fate of those kittens - don't remember that at all. It reminds me of a scene in This Gun For Hire, where animal-lover Alan Ladd kills one. Upsetting.

Liked
    13 times
    Many thanks Santonix, I'm in two minds, but will probably give it a go, that is if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg !

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Billy,

Don't be in two minds - it's exhausting! Definitely watch the movie. The music and performances are spot on and without being schmaltzy, it does have a lot of charm as well as some real depth and sly humour (the vicar). Even the opening titles (after the reprieve of the cats by the children, as mentioned in the earlier post) are fabulous - a lovely long shot of children in the throes of simple joy.

Don't want to spolit it by revealing more.

Why not post your review in this thread after you've watched it?

Liked
    13 times
    Will do Edward G, but first I got to buy it and then we've got to watch it.

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Always think of this fim whenever people bang on about 'child performances in films' - there seems to be an assumption that Steven Speilberg is a master of this (based on the cringey ET I suppose) but for me Bryan Forbes' picture is the best I've seen. The children (clearly not 'professional' or 'stage school') are handled wonderfully well without any of the mawkishness that you see in most other films, and their performances entirely natural and believable without any awkward, forced 'cutesy stuff.

Tricky thing, kids in films though - apart from this and Chaplin's The Kid, don't know of too many others where it comes off that well.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I think that 6 years old Jon Whiteley in Hunted (1951) (his first time on film) gave an outstanding and completely natural and unaffected performance for such a young boy. But such performances are very few and far between.

Liked
    13 times
    Two good kids' performances that spring to mind are in "Night Of The Hunter" and "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    One of the girls in a non speaking role was in Timeslip with her twin. Am going to check out the village in the future as moving not very far away shortly.

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Picked up this Movie from market thwe other week, and got to say what a great and Funny if not sad film it is

Directed BY Brian Forbes whio i think also did another fav of mine from 61 called A Taste of Honey

Brief plot of Whistle some Kids find a Gunman on the Run in a barn who they think is Jesus Christ ,, with Bernard "m" Lee Alan Bates, Hayley Mills and Dora Bryan as well , really enjoyed it to

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Glad you enjoyed it - this film has long been one of my favourites, for little Alan Barnes and his northern accent and for Hayley Mills and her mysterious stranger in the barn. It is funny, and sad, and clever - I never get tired of watching it.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I don't recall Dora Bryan being in Whistle Down The Wind.

Liked
    177 times
    Probably thinking of A Taste of Honey (or Odd Man Out!). I think Norman Bird deserves a mention for being in it - probably my favourite character actor. He also begins the film. Isn't he out 'poaching' or something?

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    It's a great film to watch at Christmastime as well. A true great British classic. Little Alan Barnes impressed me very much, as did all the cast.

Wellendcanons.

Liked
    0 times
    Is there anybody out there who can put me in contact with Alan Barnes and Diane Holgate who played the younger children in Whistle Down The Wind. We intend a special showing at the Regal Cinema Wymondham Norfolk in the New Year and would like them to come along as special guests

Liked
    177 times
    There is a regularly-viewed thread for Alan here, John, where it's thought by some that he returned to acting after a long absence:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast