Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I've got a couple of these that I've transferred to DVD if anyone wants them? I can recall someone asking for them a few weeks ago and found them on an old backup.

I've got the 1978 and 79 ones. Fantastic piece of BBC nostalgia,

Liked
    0 times
    What are they exactly?

Liked
    0 times
    (arty-dave @ Oct 25 2005, 09:59 AM)

What are they exactly?
    Basically, they were a series of internal BBC tapes made by the VT guys to hand round themselves each Christmas with the inevitable leak to the outside world.

They're full of bloopers and out-takes that were (then) very unsuitable for transmission and the odd celebrity pops up (Kenny Everitt, Kenneth Kendall, Richard Baker etc) with a message for the backroom boys.

These are now very hard to get hold of.

Liked
    0 times
    (King_Arthur @ Oct 27 2005, 05:44 PM)

Count me in ...
    Check your messages...

Liked
    0 times
    (Captain Casper @ Oct 25 2005, 11:36 PM)

Basically, they were a series of internal BBC tapes made by the VT guys to hand round themselves each Christmas with the inevitable leak to the outside world.

They're full of bloopers and out-takes that were (then) very unsuitable for transmission and the odd celebrity pops up (Kenny Everitt, Kenneth Kendall, Richard Baker etc) with a message for the backroom boys.

These are now very hard to get hold of.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sue Lawley had tried to suppress them as I remember the one where she is doing a report for Nationwide, walking through a market crowd and for some reason I can't remember she lets loose with a mouthful commonly known as 'expletives deleted'. If shown today it wouldn't sit well with her school-marm, virgin-till-I-was-50 image....which is how she comes across the radio (no sniggering please) on Desert Island Discs.

The one that shocked me at the time was Kenneth Kendall's "B**g***ng A***h**es!" as I'd always considered him as one the THE solemn voices of the Beeb.

Still..they were funny...not like the crap 'outrageous out-takes' shows that ITV show late on in the evening.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Have you got the one with the spoof Martini commercial - the one that features famous people in exotic locations extolling the virtues of plastic cups of "VT Tea" ?

There used to be a network playout of the BBC tape and all the various ITV ones each December, which we all eagerly looked forward to. They were extremely funny, inventive and libellous in their early days but eventually descended into smut and crudity. Shame really.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm interested in this DVD - I'm in the Uk - please message me.

thanks

Chris

Liked
    0 times
    Would love a copy!

Why? Becaus I've been looking for these for years!

Please PM me and I'll send you a contact address.....

Liked
    0 times
    (Captain Casper @ Oct 24 2005, 09:37 PM)

I've got a couple of these that I've transferred to DVD if anyone wants them? I can recall someone asking for them a few weeks ago and found them on an old backup.

WOW!!! I had one of the BBC VT tapes many years ago. I was utterly gutted when it got recorded over by my then wife who didn't approve of such hijinks!!! I have been chasing them for a number of years subsequently. Then, all of a sudden, I find this site which not only has a source of relief from the absence of said tapes but offers a platform upon which to rant about the British film industry as a bonus!

So allow me to introduce myself......I am Segamad and stand singular and inverse with an Arnott AD.(Cryptic)

I would be most interested to be reunited with my lovely BBC VT with VT tea, Daleks copping off with tape machines, Nice Legs Shame about the face & tickly childrens TV etc etc etc......

Liked
    0 times
    (arty-dave @ Oct 25 2005, 08:59 AM)

What are they exactly?
    Yes please I would love a copy of ths DVD transfer - I have been after a copy of this from many a moon ago.

Please can you pm as to what your price / swap is ...

many Thanks

Oldies

Liked
    0 times
    (Captain Casper @ Oct 24 2005, 10:37 PM)

I'd love to see these again, if you have any left.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Yep, I'd love some copies- but my hotmail account is temporaraily finargled. Hope to have sorted it within a week.

Liked
    0 times
    (Jack Gurney @ Feb 5 2006, 07:01 PM)

Yep, I'd love some copies- but my hotmail account is temporaraily finargled. Hope to have sorted it within a week.
    No probs, Jack. See your PM's

Liked
    0 times
    Just to add.. I now have the ITV versions of "Merry Christmas VT".

9 offerings from various ITV regions. Quality isn't brilliant due to very old VHS tapes, but still a nice bit of memorabilia if anyone wants them?

Liked
    0 times
    I'm going to admit my ignorance (and Americancentricity) here. I thought it was some off-beat movie, like Kenneth More's "The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw" that I hadn't heard of. My second thought, after that, was who would want to spend Christmas in Vermont? LOL It shares the Great North Woods (and moose) with New Hampshire, where my great-grandfather was from and more than happy to leave. I'm in southern New Jersey and that's as far north as I want to go!

By the by, wouldn't happen to have those in NTSC, would ya? My familiarity with British television is the shows that got sent over in the 1960s and then what's been shown on Public Broadcasting since (though Home and Garden have a couple of good shows--Trading Up and City Gardener). But I like things like that. Sometimes, when they're from particular shows, they're better than the shows themselves. LOL

Liked
    0 times
    (nellybly @ Mar 9 2006, 03:41 AM)

By the by, wouldn't happen to have those in NTSC, would ya?
    Might be able to re-encode to NTSC. Leave it with me and I'll let you know.

Liked
    0 times
    Blimey! I would be very interested in getting a DVD copy of the BBC 78/79 Christmas tapes. My Dad, who works for the Beeb, got a copy of them on VHS way back in mid 80's. Quality wasn't brilliant as I think it was a 3rd or 4th generation copy, but I would be very interested getting hold of that again.

Liked
    0 times
    I've also got both these, so if anyone wants to do trades or anything, and Captain Casper is unavailable, give me a holler. I'll trade em for some good old TV stuff.

Liked
    0 times
    (Famous Mortimer @ Mar 15 2006, 02:15 PM)

I've also got both these, so if anyone wants to do trades or anything, and Captain Casper is unavailable, give me a holler. I'll trade em for some good old TV stuff.
    I had thse as well, but to be perfectly honest the content was quite dissapointing.

I didn't get all the way through watching them as they got a bit boring.

They are nowhere near as funny as Dennis Nordens It'll be alright on the night.

Liked
    0 times
    (pustice @ Mar 16 2006, 06:07 AM)

I had thse as well, but to be perfectly honest the content was quite dissapointing.

I didn't get all the way through watching them as they got a bit boring.

They are nowhere near as funny as Dennis Nordens It'll be alright on the night.
    They're just a leaked internal release for BBC employees and backroom staff only. They've never been aired and probably won't be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast