Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash On Demand

Liked
    0 times
    Although not one of my favourite films this is one which, I think, deserves far more exposure than it gets.

Peter Cushing stars as a bank manager, ruthless towards his staff and petty in his actions, who is forced into helping the character played by Andre Morell to rob his bank when he learns that his wife and child are being held to ransom by members of Morell's gang. The way in which Cushing transforms his character from a hateful, tin-pot tyrant into a vulnerable, snivelling wreck who invokes sympathy shows what a fine actor he was.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (Jeff @ Oct 27 2005, 11:13 AM)

Although not one of my favourite films this is one which, I think, deserves far more exposure than it gets.

Peter Cushing stars as a bank manager, ruthless towards his staff and petty in his actions, who is forced into helping the character played by Andre Morell to rob his bank when he learns that his wife and child are being held to ransom by members of Morell's gang. The way in which Cushing transforms his character from a hateful, tin-pot tyrant into a vulnerable, snivelling wreck who invokes sympathy shows what a fine actor he was.
    I wholly agree Jeff - this is (in mainstream terms) a sadly overlooked little gem ; although it has quite a reputation amongst afficionados. The whole thing is nicely executed and Andre Morell certainly works well with PC - two fine actors together.

A shame this one isn't available on DVD ; be about right now to hit the shelves in time for Xmas and its proper season...

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    A favourite of mine is: Cash On Demand (1961) with Peter Cushing and Andre Morell. The former being a somewhat petulant and fussy bank manager and Morell is cast as a suave and cunning robber.

The dialogue is riveting between the pair and sometimes unintentionally amusing, Morell to Cushing: "I'm not going to tell you what to say, as I want you to express yourself in your usual manner..".

A little seen movie once described as 'possibly the best ever "B" movie that came from Britain'.

Once seen you somehow never forget it.Excellent viewing.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Cushing and Morell - two of Hammer's best actors. This one was due out on the DDHE label, until they they went under and got taken over.

Liked
    151 times
    It's a delightfully exquisite little Hammer film. There's a screening at the BFI next month (Camp on Blood Island too) but doubtful there'll be a subsequent dvd release.

Cash on Demand + The Avengers: Death of a Batman | BFI

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    It's a delightfully exquisite little Hammer film. There's a screening at the BFI next month (Camp on Blood Island too) but doubtful there'll be a subsequent dvd release.

Cash on Demand + The Avengers: Death of a Batman | BFI
    I agree. It is one of the best of Hammer's non horror films, possibly the best. Not sure I like the sound of that Avengers episode though.

Liked
    0 times
    Always enjoyed Cash on Demand. Once you start watching, it's one you can't leave mid way through.

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    A real gem, if you ask me. Brilliant acting, great cast, catching story with a twist - not a minute wasted. I really love Cash on Demand.

Liked
    137 times
    Couldn't agree more with the positive comments regardsCash On Demand afine fine film and IMHO Andre Morrell was never better.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Camp on Blood Island is getting a DVD release later this year along with The Damned and Yesterday's Enemy - so there may be hop for Cash on Demand.

Liked
    5 times
    I see the booking page for this gem of a film on BFI website is already 3/4 full! Have bagged a couple of tickets-open for public buying tomorrow! I recommend anyone who can make it to be QUICK! Fantastic film-probably a good print too! (1961).

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scenesixty
    I see the booking page for this gem of a film on BFI website is already 3/4 full! Have bagged a couple of tickets-open for public buying tomorrow! I recommend anyone who can make it to be QUICK! Fantastic film-probably a good print too! (1961).
    Gosh, I'd love to be there! =/

Liked
    1 times
    Can anyone shed any light on the running time of the Peter Cushing/Andre Morrell thriller Cash On Demand. The US release appears to have been 88 minutes and the UK 66 minutes, but I'm sure I've seen a version that falls somewhere between the two.

Cheers

Liked
    1 times
    You may have got that the wrong way round. Imdb (not 100% reliable, but useful nontheless) states 66 min | UK:88 min , which I take to mean that the first figure is the US length and the second the UK running time.

This would be normal practice, as the film would have been a main feature in the UK (unless anyone here knows diffrerent), wheras British movies in the US were often edited down to fit on double bills.

These would be the running times of the film when run through a projector. On TV films run slightly quicker for technical reasons (ie reasons I'm not clever enough to explain), which would bring the 88minutes running time down by up to five minutes.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Cash on Demand was the support film for Bye Bye Birdie (US) on its Odeon release as I recall.....

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    According to Wayne Kinsey's book Hammer Films: The Bray Studios Years it was released in the USA in December 1961, two years before ever being released in the UK (where as Julian Craster says it was the bottom half of a double bill). Kinsey's book states an 84 minute running time for the US release and 66 minutes for the UK.

Liked
    1 times
    Which shows you what I know .

I've only got Kinsey's Hammer: The Elstree Studios Years, which is an excellent piece of work so I'd trust him over indb (and me!)

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    CASH ON DEMAND did not share the billing/poster space on its release, and was regarded as a 'B' film, in spite of having Peter Cushing as its star. CASH ON DEMAND was originally a radio play on the BBC Home Service, I recall......

Liked
    1 times
    Thanks; I was convinced I 'd seen something of 70-odd minutes length but that doesn't make sense any way you look at it. It must have been the longer version and I must have been so enthralled I didn't count the last 20 (weak ending notwithstanding).

Liked
    5 times
    I googled the prolific Tv playwriter Jacques (Jack) Gillies. He has an obituary for April this year-article states he was born in Gore, New Zealand, now I probably have deduced correctly that the place name 'Gore' was the inspiration for suave and manipulative bank robber Colonel Gore-Hepburn in: 'Cash On Demand' (1961) which, of course was played with fiendish relish by Andre Morell. I would like to see more of Gillies' work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast