Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This thread does not seem so very disinterested to me. I might not have my interest drawn by the title, but then, I haven't posted at all in the thread up until now.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes "disinterest" would have been the better spelling if my fingers weren't involved! haha Pity that my sarcasm was undone by my misspelling fingers!

Yes, SNOW GOOSE seldom has more than a few hundred posts demanding it, decrying its singular lack of availability in pleads that, I think, rank the most heartfelt of any film we've discussed. I don't think there's one request for it that doesn't use the phrase "love this film" somewhere.

If Fellw got any advertising coverage on a proposed viewing of this, I doubt he'd get more than a few hundred thousand requests. Of course, it might pick up on Day 2...

Practically no interest at all! (Someone with a good popcorn stand could make his fortune...)

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    Yes, SNOW GOOSE seldom has more than a few hundred posts demanding it, decrying its singular lack of availability in pleads that, I think, rank the most heartfelt of any film we've discussed. I don't think there's one request for it that doesn't use the phrase "love this film" somewhere.

If Fellw got any advertising coverage on a proposed viewing of this, I doubt he'd get more than a few hundred thousand requests. Of course, it might pick up on Day 2...

Practically no interest at all! (Someone with a good popcorn stand could make his fortune...)
    I can't recall ever seeing anyone mention having seen it and not being incredibly moved by it. When one realises that for most people it was a single viewing well over 30 years ago, it is remarkable to see the effect it had on those lucky enough to have seen it.

Of course, had it not been criminally locked away for so long, it might not have retained such a powerful hold.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Then again it might have been revered as much as The Railway Children and Jenny would have another timeless classic to her name. Have you ever asked her about what happened to this? For years I have heard that it was Gallico's estate that buried it but recently read that they did not have any objection to it being released - I feel bad about those death threats now...or maybe they worked?

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Then again it might have been revered as much as The Railway Children and Jenny would have another timeless classic to her name. Have you ever asked her about what happened to this? For years I have heard that it was Gallico's estate that buried it but recently read that they did not have any objection to it being released - I feel bad about those death threats now...or maybe they worked?
    Yes, we did discuss it last year and Jenny was as bemused as the rest of us as to why it was still held up. I'm pretty sure that she said Gallico's widow had no objection to its release.

I'm intending pursuing it further but I guess it maybe who actually holds the rights now. I think the BBC claimed it was down to Hallmark now.

Of course, a remake, now shelved [thank goodness], was on the cards for a few years and I suppose they may have bought the rights to prevent the original being released. After all, they wouldn't want a classic spoiling their blockbuster would they?

Anyone any idea how to find out who may hold the rights now?

Liked
    36 times
    Well, it's been over 35 years but I'm finally going to see The Snow Goose in as near perfect conditions as one could hope.

Off down to the BFI in a couple of hours for a private viewing. Strange to say, I'm rather glad I didn't try to do this a few years ago.

Liked
    36 times
    This is indeed The Snow Goose as in favourite film thread.

Having got back, all I can say is the copy held by the BFI is superb - given that it is vhs and no attempt has been made to digitally remaster it [yet!].

It may have taken over 35 years to see a perfect version again but it was well worth the wait - especially having Frith sitting next to me. There were three of us watching it and two had tears beginning to roll down their faces - and the third was, I'm sure, laughing silently at us.

I would thoroughly recommend trying to make a booking to anyone who is going to be down in London.

PS Having Frith sit next to me was the reason I was glad I hadn't made a booking a few years ago as it would never have happened then.

Liked
    36 times
    Didn't get the chance to watch it yesterday - watched TRC first and by the time that had finished, I'd lost my place in the queue!

Just watched it again and had my faith in man's goodness to man reaffirmed.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson
    I saw the film on the television once and have never seen it since. I subsequently read the book and both versions brought tears to my eyes, I love them both.
    neither read the book or seen the film, I will put that right this year

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    neither read the book or seen the film, I will put that right this year
    It is the only case I can think of where both the book and the film have brought tears to my eyes.

Almost the only place you will find a poor copy of the film is on this forum.

And, yes - Camel's LP was based on the book and film.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zandycap
    As for The snow goose. Why was this locked away and never released again ?
    Paul Gallico wrote the novella and then the screenplay. Then it appears he decided that the film added nothing so he stipulated that it should never be shown again.

That seems most perverse, especially as everyone who has seen it has been incredibly moved by it and remembers it so clearly after all those years and after a single viewing.

I believe his widow is happy for it to be released but it may be that the rights were taken over by the company who were intending a remake [thankfully that doesn't look as if it will materialise]. Obviously, they wouldn't have liked to see a masterpiece out at the same time as their offering - even though Jenny was originally to have been in it.

I still have hopes that something will happen.

Liked
    0 times
    a wonderful film and story that made me blubber 35 years after seeing it once as a child.

the quality is poor, but it's watchable and doesn't in any way destroy the fabric of this sad and uplifting, bittersweet tale.

Liked
    0 times
    I can only add to what everyone else has been saying. A wonderful book and film, with such a mystery over the film not being released.

My DVD copy is indeed poor, but watchable, and indeed, whenever I watch it, it brings tears to my eyes, and I'm male.

Richard Harris is magnificent, as always, as is Jenny Agutter

If only I had known about the BFI facility before I retired 6000 miles away from Britain a couple of years ago.

I will end this post by saying that I hope that whatever is left for me in this lifetime, one thing will be to see a 'proper' copy of this wonderful film again.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Fell,

My family and friends are getting a little fed up with my repeated swooning over a film that I saw as a child, that they have never seen and so cannot share in the passion. A film that despite my aging and very hazy memory of it, made an everlasting impression on my heart so that I still consider it my favorite film. Finally, my husband, after hearing me once again wistfully lament over never having seen it aired since, suggested I google the title. Brilliant man!

Can't wait to hear back..

By the way, the thing that prompted this latest of my pinings for The Snow Goose, was that my son came back from fishing at the river by our home and reported seeing a snow goose fly overhead, apparently on its way south for the winter.

Cat

Liked
    36 times
    Off now to watch The Snow Goose - don't expect to be back until at least the new year.

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just thought I'd ask a quick question, at this late stage in the development of this thread perhaps a little coatish, but I was wondering, where does the wobbly torrent version originate from? Was this recorded from a tv transmission, as I have been reading, apparently only shown once in 1971? If so, who had a vcr back then? We had just about got round to colour telly then, let alone video recorders.

Can anybody answer this please?

duffers

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer

The only known clean copies are at the BFI and UCLA, though I have heard on one rumoured to be in a Belgium library and the possibility of a reasonable vhs version - which has yet to materialise from the claimant.
    Hello, Fell,

Where at UCLA is a clean copy of The Snow Goose? Can you give more details?

Much appreciated, and Happy Holidays to one and all!

Barbara

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc
    Hello, Fell,

Where at UCLA is a clean copy of The Snow Goose? Can you give more details?

Much appreciated, and Happy Holidays to one and all!

Barbara
    Try here:

WebVoyage

You need to do a "credits search" for Paul Gallico rather than The Snow Goose. It times out if I give you the actually search results.

To answer duffy moon: I have read at least one claim by someone in the States who said they'd seen it in the 80s so it is possible that a video recording could date from then.

There are 2-3 copies circulating on the web but they all appear to come from a single very poor recording as they all have the same scene cut from it - when Rhayader visits Chelmbury to go to the post office and collect the ointment. There is also at lest one more shorter scene missing as well.

I now have a better copy than the one that most on here have - I got it from Canada a couple of months ago and it is definitely a better picture.

Liked
    0 times
    Just getting to this thread. A comprehensive review with feeling. Makes me want to spend another hour with The Snow Goose. Thanks! I saw it on U.S. TV way back then (Hallmark Hall of Fame series). Several of these nature/human nature themed movies from the 60s and 70s are superb and leave a lasting impression. I find them less saccharin and sit-com like than more recent efforts. They deserve to be revived for a new generation of watchers...and readers...and thinkers. Ring of Bright Water, Where the Red Fern Grows, even Turtle Diary, which I applaud for giving adult characters another shot at optimism, enthusiasm, and connection.

Liked
    0 times
    After tracking down a copy of 'I Start Counting' (1969) and discovering how much I still liked that film, even though I hadn't seen it since it got shown on TV back in 1982?

I really hope we get a release of 'The Snow Goose'.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast