Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc
    I would guess that the BFI copy is a vhs (perhaps later transferred to a dvd) from the BBC airing in 1971, which they probably received directly from the BBC. The one at the UCLA Archives in Los Angeles is a vhs copy from NBC of their 1971 airing of the Hallmark Hall of Fame production of THE SNOW GOOSE .

Jump in anyone who has different or additional facts.
    That makes sense and would seem to tie in with what I thought about the copy I watched at the BFI - perhaps I should go again and verfiy it

Best, and P.S. Fell: I didn't know you'd watched THE SNOW GOOSE at the BFI sitting next to Jennie. What a thrill!

Barbara
    Indeed! I must admit I was on tenterhooks in the train on the way down as, although I'd invited her to join me, I didn't get a definite yes until I was halfway there and received an email.

It was without a shadow of a doubt the most thrilling film/television experience of my life and things got even better - but that's not for this thread

Liked
    36 times
    Good [but not brilliant!] news for lovers of The Snow Goose - especially those who like their film as complete as possible.

A version has recently been uploaded on youtube that is not only slightly better than the one a number of us have but also has the clear opening credits [rather than faint and shaky] and the entire end credits - which were missing. It obviously comes from the same source as it has the same two scenes missing. Strangely, it also has the opening narration over the Essex marshes missing, too.

I've downloaded it and am trying to tidy it up and add the missing opening few seconds.

For comparison, two images from the end of the version a number of us have:

and the same from the latest version:

I do hope to have some even better news soon - but still not brilliant, I'm afraid.

Liked
    0 times
    That is great news and I've done a search and it is indeed a better copy than I have.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I managed to tidy this new footage up quite a bit. Here are some splitscreen examples with the original on the left and the tweaked version on the right:

Managed to double up the resolution as well to 640 x 480 pixels.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy1967
    Heartbreaking images though and please someone give Jenny a big hug.
    Well, I made the ultimate sacrifice and gave her a hug and kiss on Sunday.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoggleboxUK

......Long process but I'm really pleased with the results.

DVD menu, cover and disc artwork are on my gallery if you want a look, all created with Photoshop.
    Hello, GoogleboxUK:

I just looked at your gallery and The Snow Goose DVD items. Absolutely amazing results. Well done!

Barbara

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I finally had the opportunity to see this gem again after almost four decades. It was only on a youtube download (!) but that is much, much better than nothing.

I remember seeing it on the Hallmark Hall of Fame when I was about eleven as if it were yesterday. It left an indelible impression on me. I had wondered what on earth had happened to it. I was surprised and very pleased to find it again when I least expected it. I know that it is not released commercially but at least it can be seen.

It is a small perfect film. Anyone who asks why Jenny Agutter has a permanent hold on the hearts of those who see her, especially at a young age, only have to see this to understand. Her combination of intense femininity, forthrightness and warmth are incomparable. Richard Harris is more subdued than usual and moving as the hero - and he really is a heroic figure.

I did not realize the power of the film until the last scenes with the goose. At that point I realized thehold the film had on me once again.

Liked
    36 times
    Eight months ago, Open Book on Radio 4 championed 10 forgotten classics and the public got to choose which one should be given a [fresh] dramatisation. The Snow Goose was the runaway winner and was broadcast this afternoon. Unfortunately, it is not available on the BBC iplayer but is repeated next Saturday at 9pm on Radio 4.

I was quite impressed - given that no-one could possibly better Jenny as Frith and I also found Richard Harris to be prefect. Obviously, there were differences from the film - and the novella - but, overall, it was well worth listening to.

It was followed by an Open Book special on The Snow Goose with Michael Morpurgo.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer
    It was followed by an Open Book special on The Snow Goose with Michael Morpurgo.
    I enjoyed the documentary - I had no idea that Elizabeth Jane Howard had been married to Peter Scott as well as Kingsley Amis

Liked
    36 times
    I believe there were differences between the versions of The Snow Goose shown on th BBC and in the USA - and not simply down to possible cuts made to fit the US schedules. I hope to prove this one way or the other after visiting the BFI in a fortnight to view The Snow Goose again.

One particular scene that I'll be looking at is the scene when Frith is banging in the fence posts through to "winter came.."

I also hope to remember to get an accurate measurement of the length of the recording so we know how much is actually missing.

Liked
    36 times
    Has anyone from the colonies bought this, please?
    The seller claims it is uncut and the best available. I'm trying to verify this and see if he posts to the UK.

If anyone has bought this, would you let me know exactly how long it is as I have verified some of the missing details from the version that many here have. I won't list the cuts until I've had some confirmation about the above copy.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    Has anyone from the colonies bought this, please?
    The seller claims it is uncut and the best available. I'm trying to verify this and see if he posts to the UK.

If anyone has bought this, would you let me know exactly how long it is as I have verified some of the missing details from the version that many here have. I won't list the cuts until I've had some confirmation about the above copy.
    No-one? Never mind, I've taken a punt on it as it will be worth it if I can get hold of the missing few minutes. The seller claims it to be "about an hour" and if true, that may mean it is complete.

I shall let others know.

In the meantime, see Jenny's thread for some news on what is missing.

Liked
    36 times
    No-one? Never mind, I've taken a punt on it as it will be worth it if I can get hold of the missing few minutes. The seller claims it to be "about an hour" and if true, that may mean it is complete.

I shall let others know.

In the meantime, see Jenny's thread for some news on what is missing.
    That version on iOffer is nowhere near as good as my copy and has the three scenes missing as listed in http://filmdope.com/forums/ac...ml#post2013896 so it certainly is not complete as the seller claims. You have been warned

Liked
    36 times
    Having watched ACT this morning, I followed up with the simply wonderful The Snow Goose this afternoon - pure delight from start to finish. They're two of the handful (quite literally) of films that I sit spellbound through from start to finish

Liked
    36 times
    It's forty years today since the first broadcast on BBC2 of the wonderful adaptation of The Snow Goose - simply the most moving drama I've ever seen.

Philip Rhayder's last words to Frith always have me in tears.

I shall be watching the peerlessly lovely Jenny once again this evening, 40 years to the minute since first seeing it - television drama at its very best:

Last edited by Fellwanderer; 28-12-11 at 09:34 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    How nice too see you back, Fell. Hope you had a good Christmas

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    How nice too see you back, Fell. Hope you had a good Christmas

Thank you, Capt'n Quiet - but a lovely surprise

Watched Walkabout for Christmas as I was looking forward to Frith this evening and Bobbie tomorrow.

Have a good 2012 - just off for a decent walk in lovely sunshine.

Liked
    399 times
    That version on iOffer is nowhere near as good as my copy and has the three scenes missing as listed in http://filmdope.com/forums/ac...ml#post2013896 so it certainly is not complete as the seller claims. You have been warned
    Hi, Fell,

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why the IOffer version is missing three scenes? were different versions of the film aired...or? It'd be strange to think that the seller deleted them.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

Barbara

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc View Post
    Hi, Fell,

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why the IOffer version is missing three scenes? were different versions of the film aired...or? It'd be strange to think that the seller deleted them.

The IOffer version is the same as most others that appear to be available as I believe they all originate from an old NTSC copy from a US airing. This would explain why two of the scenes (PR's first visit to the village post office and Frith's birthday party) are missing - in both cases the cut is pretty good and indicates to me that may be down to fitting in with the demands of US advertisers. Obviously, there were no such problems when shown on the BBC!

Quite why there is a third difference is beyond me but I'll investigate further when I've a bit more time - pretty busy over the next couple of weeks.

Liked
    399 times
    The IOffer version is the same as most others that appear to be available as I believe they all originate from an old NTSC copy from a US airing. This would explain why two of the scenes (PR's first visit to the village post office and Frith's birthday party) are missing - in both cases the cut is pretty good and indicates to me that may be down to fitting in with the demands of US advertisers. Obviously, there were no such problems when shown on the BBC!

Quite why there is a third difference is beyond me but I'll investigate further when I've a bit more time - pretty busy over the next couple of weeks.
    Thank you, Fell. I know you are really busy so I appreciate your taking the time to reply in detail. It's a shame that cut versions are circulating. I understand why during the early days when we'd grab any copy, even ten minutes of this memorable film. I've made the trip to UCLA to see the complete televised film, bought the incomplete IOffer one and shelled out again later for more complete versions. I consider it a shame that the Estate can't/won't release it. I always see it as human squabbles standing in the way of art.

All best,

Barbara

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast