Thread: Quatermass 2

Liked
    0 times
    Hi all, I'm a new member here, so please bear with me while I catch up with most of the forums and threads. I have chosen Hammer Films 1957 movie 'Quatermass 2' as my favourite film because it scared me so much as a kid. I saw it when I was about 10 years old as part of the BBC2 Horror Double bills season - I think it was around 1975.

It absolutely horrified me, and the scene with Tom Chatto's character 'Broadhead' covered in black goo stayed with my dreams/nightmares for many months after and still gives me a shiver even now, as the film approaches 50 years old.

Best wishes

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I have to agree Steve -

There's a thread going on at the moment about our most watched movies. Whilst I can't produce a particular film, I have to say that I can go back to Q2 time and time again. It has a marvellous atmosphere of 'brave new world', Britain rebuilding after the war (literally, with the setting of the new town development) but that sinister something lurking just beneath.

I think the weird town could be re-filmed now, as a great analogy for Blair's Britain...

Like yourself I was haunted from the first time I saw it by Tom Chatto's scenes as the hapless and helpless Broadhead. One of the most convincing and startling scenes of its type ever in a British film, I think. The film even manages to raise itself above Donlevy's mediocre performing and it's rather cheap looking monster effects.

Cracking stuff !

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Count me in, too. I love the Quatermass films. Althought, I find it very hard to pick between them.

Liked
    0 times
    (mysteriesofedgarwallace @ Nov 9 2005, 09:22 PM)

Count me in, too. I love the Quatermass films. Althought, I find it very hard to pick between them.
    Hi there.

Along with another Val Guest picture The Day the Earth Caught Fire I think that Quatermass 2 probably represents the highpoint of British science fiction cinema. The second wave of British sci-fi initiated by Wolf Rilla's Village of the Damned is particularly impressive with titles like Unearthly Stranger and Invasion as well as the Wyndham sequel and easily on par with anything coming out of Hollywood in the early 60s. Surprisingly I didn't like Joseph Losey's The Damned although critic-wise it is the most highly regarded title form this period.

Cheers.

Iain

Hair in the Gate - reviews of artefacts from the world of B-picture, exploitation and DTV entertainment: www.geocities.com/hairinthegate2005

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Always had a soft spot for Quatermass 2 as parts of it were filmed in Hemel Hempstead where I live.

One of my favourite scenes is in the social club when the exploding alien "pods" start dropping through the roof and reporter Sid James tries to telephone his paper to alert them.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    (Bobj @ Nov 11 2005, 04:58 PM)

One of my favourite scenes is in the social club when the exploding alien "pods" start dropping through the roof and reporter Sid James tries to telephone his paper to alert them.
    That happens every week in Hemel Hempstead.

rgds

Rob

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (Bobj @ Nov 11 2005, 04:58 PM)

Always had a soft spot for Quatermass 2 as parts of it were filmed in Hemel Hempstead where I live.

Isn't there a street named after our Professor there somewheres Bob, to mark the estate on which they did the shoot ?

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Some great replies there, thanks for the welcome. I actually visited the Shell Refinery where they filmed Q2, it is also the location of the BBC seriel version. A friend who lives in Stanford-le-hope tells me the place is now knocked down to make way for a frieght yard for the Channel Tunnel or something. I took photos of my visit there although, I could only photograph from the road.

(smudge @ Nov 11 2005, 08:04 PM)

Isn't there a street named after our Professor there somewheres Bob, to mark the estate on which they did the shoot ?

SMUDGE
    Hi Smudge,

There is a Quartermass Road & a Quartermass Close - maybe they spelled it wrong?

Best wishes

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    Late tonight on BBC2. Also 50 Greatest Sketches on CH4 at 9 if you wish to avoid CiN.

Liked
    0 times
    Any one know how many of the origonal Quatamas fils there are - thought therewere two and I'd seen them both but then there was a cracking one on the other night about an Alien invasion (giant blobby aliens at the end at the factory). Keen to see if there are any more?? Cheers. Iain.