Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    going in a different direction from my rant/moan at the beginning of this thread ,can I suggest that you look into the field of European cinema .If I were a teacher (usually 40ish, old and boring!) I would like to see my students widen there studies and thoughts further than the modern extraordinarily boring film factory that is Hollywood .European cinema, including Britain is alive with actresses of immense talent Abril,Deneuve and Mirren to name a few,yes they are beautiful but they will work into there later years because of the structure of european cinema and its view and representation of women.

Just a thought!

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (emma w @ Nov 17 2005, 02:30 PM)

and as for the main question at hand (now my mini rant is over! Lol), I am also looking at women as sex objects in films (however an earlier thread I posted wasn't as successful as this!), just wanted to point out Meryl Streep who did not start to become noticed until the 70's, when she was approaching the 30 mark, the cut off point for being a sex object it would seem when looking at many modern productions.
    That's the point I was making...later success is independent of whether or not the actress was seen as a sex object in the past, but is more to do with the levels of talent...

I also I think that sometimes social issues must be taken into account (yes, I’m a sociology student as well, lord help me!) as a female actress gets older her original fan base ages to ,therefore may be watching her films less or may have to grow up and stop annoying the wife with posters and adolescent obsessions! Lol.
    Fantastic point...quite possibly true - and of course the corollary are the male heartthrobs on the girls' walls...eg John Travolta's twenty year disappearance, David Cassidy (yes, he was an actor, allegedly) plus any number of popstars - but the same process works with actors too...particularly soap actors.

Other than that there are the young female actresses who are not seen as sex objects, Jodie foster? Toni Collette? And so on.
    Jodie Foster is older than I am, and I'm definitely middle-aged.....and I was under the impression that she remains the poster girl for a significant community of ladies..if this is not being a sex symbol, it's very close. Toni Collette is more geeky than glamorous, agreed, and they're both very good actresses. So too is Kate Winslet; sexy as hell too, but not by the standards of the thinness - obsessed times, she has transcended what had become the stick-thin norm, successfully beaten the fashion and now seems to have a career on her own terms. Remarkable. She'll be around in forty years time, Dame Kate no doubt...

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (emma w @ Nov 17 2005, 02:30 PM)

hey, I am a fellow media studies student and would just like to point out that without the study of some media and such like, many of the films we all know and love would not exist!

[snip]

Emma.xXx.
    I'd be interested to see if you can expand that point Emma.

I'll accept that media studies can help towards appreciation and analysis, but which films wouldn't have existed without media studies?

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Are you sure you're not confusing media studies with film school?

You should both watch 'All About Eve'.

I am amused often when I see the age difference increase for maturing actors' screen marriages. You should take an actor like Connery, Ford or whoever and perform some statistical research with the IMDB to back it up and add weight to your argument.

Liked
    7 times
    (JamesM @ Nov 18 2005, 03:00 AM)

I am amused often when I see the age difference increase for maturing actors' screen marriages. You should take an actor like Connery, Ford or whoever and perform some statistical research with the IMDB to back it up and add weight to your argument.
    Probably quite close to the age differences in their off-screen marriages and relationships. qv Harrison Ford & Callista Flockhart, Michael Douglas & Catherine Zeta Jones...Tom Cruise and his latest...or alternatively Ashton Kutscher with Demi Moore, 16 years the other way.. so what would that prove - the films are reflecting (Hollywood) real life!!

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Very true Penfold. I was thinking that as I wrote it but they should not let their off screen lives interfere with their on screen lives. Unless they are playing Hollywod stars.

Liked
    0 times
    hey this is my first post on Brit Movies so plz try and help me out with my question i am studying media for a level and am looking at women in film. Specifically i'm looking at the representation of women by female and male directors and the representation of women in male dominated genres. I am studying 4 films. 2 action adventure and 2 football films. Goal! and Bend It Like Beckham. MI:2 and Point Break. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking at? I have quite a few of my own ideas and am well into my research but i would love anyone elses's input cheers!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Morrison']hey this is my first post on Brit Movies so plz try and help me out with my question i am studying media for a level and am looking at women in film. Specifically i'm looking at the representation of women by female and male directors and the representation of women in male dominated genres. I am studying 4 films. 2 action adventure and 2 football films. Goal! and Bend It Like Beckham. MI:2 and Point Break. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking at? I have quite a few of my own ideas and am well into my research but i would love anyone elses's input cheers!

Hi, I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for! Have you decided on your choice of films already? As to women in film, try Streisand's "Yentl"(1983), Direction, Production and co-screenplay by Streisand. Yentl is about a women who has to disguise herself as a man to live an equal life as man. Lots of issues there! Streisand herself also had a big battle to get the film made in a male dominated industry.

For comic relief try Blake Edward's "Victor Victoria"!

There is a "Women in Film" organisation in USA, which may be of use - suggest a google search will help out.

Check this one out - Women in Film & Television: Bibliography of Materials in the UC Berkeley Libraries

Al the best,

Jack

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Not another STUDENT !

Why not do something a bit more original?

'Women in Film' by young females has been done to death !!

Why not try 'children in film', 'boys in film' ?

Liked
    7 times
    name='julian_craster']Not another STUDENT !

Why not do something a bit more original?

'Women in Film' by young females has been done to death !!

Why not try 'children in film', 'boys in film' ?

It's probably the subject that's been set by the lecturer....and they've probably been sent here. Don't let's put the kids off trying to learn about our little area of film appreciation before they get their heads round the door ?? They don't know we've had the same question dozens of times.....I'd help but I've only seen MI2...

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='penfold']It's probably the subject that's been set by the lecturer....and they've probably been sent here. Don't let's put the kids off trying to learn about our little area of film appreciation before they get their heads round the door ?? They don't know we've had the same question dozens of times.....I'd help but I've only seen MI2...

Well said, Penfold. Although repeated asking of virtually the same question can be tiresome, we should try to remember what it was like as a student. Maybe we didn't have such easy access to a large and somewhat captive audience in our day but I bet we'd be asking the same questions now if we were in their position.

Sorry, I can't actually help as I've seen even fewer of Morrison's choices than Penfold!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, my perenial complaint isn't about students but that I never read some thread-closing comment from them to discuss their paper's ulimate goals or arguments.

I think Nudity In Film would be an interesting notion. It's often dealing with women and sexuality, but when hearing the audiences' snickers fade as the Nazis seperated Healthy from Dying queues in SCHINDLERS, there are other uses of nudity in film.

Liked
    0 times
    Slightly strange that the person with the more productive answer was in fact a junior member! Come on senior members stop discussin students and help us out plz! Can anyone suggest any articles/ links to articles about women in film as the internet is rubbish for trying specific searches all i end up finding is articles on either women or film! Plz try 2 giv us a hand! cheers!

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='Morrison']Slightly strange that the person with the more productive answer was in fact a junior member! Come on senior members stop discussin students and help us out plz! Can anyone suggest any articles/ links to articles about women in film as the internet is rubbish for trying specific searches all i end up finding is articles on either women or film! Plz try 2 giv us a hand! cheers!

I've just tried a google search for "women in film" [note quotation marks] and it threw up two further suggestions that looked promising with a list of sites under "women in films " and women in film noir".

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Morrison']hey this is my first post on Brit Movies so plz try and help me out with my question i am studying media for a level and am looking at women in film. Specifically i'm looking at the representation of women by female and male directors and the representation of women in male dominated genres. I am studying 4 films. 2 action adventure and 2 football films. Goal! and Bend It Like Beckham. MI:2 and Point Break. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking at? I have quite a few of my own ideas and am well into my research but i would love anyone elses's input cheers!

Looking at women in film? Some people have all the luck.

The only one of the four you mention that I've seen is Bend It Like Beckham. I thought it was very good and would suggest that you compare it to some of Gurinder Chadha's other work like Bhaji on the Beach (1993) or Bride & Prejudice (2004) as a comparison

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    name='Morrison']Slightly strange that the person with the more productive answer was in fact a junior member! Come on senior members stop discussin students and help us out plz! Can anyone suggest any articles/ links to articles about women in film as the internet is rubbish for trying specific searches all i end up finding is articles on either women or film! Plz try 2 giv us a hand! cheers!

Use the forum search facility. It's a well-worn topic.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times

To enlarge your own ideas:

I cannot help you with the 2 football films, but perhaps for two 'action adventure' you could look at WW2 films based on real heroines. Odette and Carve Her Name With Pride. Odette stars Anna Neagle and is directed by her husband Herbert Wilcox. Carve Her Name With Pride is directed by Lewis Gilbert and stars Virginia McKenna as Violette Szabo . Both of these women joined the SOE and these films tell of their stories in occupied France.

I do urge you though to try to see (written and directed by) Ingmar Bergman's Autumn Sonata with Liv Ullman and Ingrid Bergman. Put aside your football and action, adventure and simply watch this film.

Freddy

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times

If you're studying the representation of women then some of the things you might look at includes:

what they're wearing (or not wearing)

compare their lines with that of the male actors in the film

whether they're stereotypes

does their character have any depth

does their character exist simply as a plot device

is their character taken seriously

does their character show any initiative

does their character instigate any of the action

I've seen two of the films you're looking at: Bend It Like Beckham, which I really enjoyed, and MI2, which I really didn't. There's a wealth of material in these two alone I would have thought. Good luck with the study.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi I cant think of any films of the top of my head that describe, this but have you had a look at the femme fatal.

On another note im also new to the site and I have been looking at the representation of the nation in war films.

If anyone has any views on that subject i would be greatful, i am particualy looking at the films "Millions Like Us and "This Happy Breed"

Liked
    7 times
    If you're after the representation of women in British wartime cinema, you need to find a copy of Antonia Lant's 'Blackout; Reinventing women for wartime cinema'. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but it's a good overview..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast