Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    name='ChristineCB']

I think Nudity In Film would be an interesting notion. It's often dealing with women and sexuality, but when hearing the audiences' snickers fade as the Nazis separated Healthy from Dying queues in SCHINDLERS, there are other uses of nudity in film.
    I've reread this several times, Christine, and was wondering if you could clue me in on what you were getting at?

Not being a fan of Mr. Spielberg, and particularly not being a fan of Shindlers List, I have little tolerance for the way he used nudity in this film.

The only S.S. (excuse the unfortunate abbreviation) movie that has a semi-mature use of sexuality or nudity, was Munich, and look how that lit up the box offices.

Jon

Liked
    0 times
    name='julian_craster']Not another STUDENT !

Why not do something a bit more original?

'Women in Film' by young females has been done to death !!

Why not try 'children in film', 'boys in film' ?

Is that first line jocular, Julian?

The second line is irrelevant - you do what you do - the others that went before do not count - I would hope my work added to the canon. The third line? why not wombats in film? Because the project is Women in film

I was a student once and that sort of attitude by other than students is very off putting.

Wendy Hiller was a wonder "I know Where I'm going" or "Major Barbara" - Brenda de Banzie in "Hobson's Choice" are a good start. Dana Wynters in "Sink The Bismark"

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know what course is recommending this forum to students?

Do you know what the students gain from their generally glacier-sized topic of inquiry? (I mean, there are probably dozens or hundreds of 500-page books written on "Women In Film", and even if 90% of those pages are repetitive and unsubstantiated arguments, the other 50 pages would inundate any professor's reading time!)

The Women's Sexuality thread by Niasha (sp??) was minorly more specific and generated more discussion.

But what good can that do for the student? Does quoting Internet opinionists now qualify as 'substantive research'?!! (Although why not? Who among us has complete knowledge about published reviewers or authors, which most of us never know outside of the covers of their work.)

My next criticism of using this forum is that, in general, the same core group offers their opinions and a "researcher" only gets to read 10 or 20 writers' opinions. Is that acceptable to the course's goals? If I was going to argue "The public says this..." and based it on 20 or even twice that number of "public members", I think my research would best be used as birdcage liners.

I've taken some screenplay and film-genre ("Detectives In Film 304", "Monsters In Film 301") courses over the past few years, and while these students' topics are discussed, I haven't heard of this style of research being considered.

I'm just being idly curious. I certainly wouldn't want them curtailed, although the Spelling Nazi in me would love to see students know how to spell most English words - typos are acceptable, but misspellings really make me question the calibre of education.

Liked
    0 times
    Hey everyone, I am a media studies student and am looking for peoples views on women within the film industry. I know this kinda thing has already been covered but i need some primary research for my coursework so i thought u might b able to help. Any views will do, the main focus of my work is into women behind the scenes, female directors in particular rather than actresses. Are women really under represented in the industry? Is it more difficult for women to join the industry or is it just that women are less interested in film making? What stereotypes exist about women in the film industry and why? Theres some stuff to go on anyway but any other points are welcome. Your views would be great. Thanx

Becstar

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Post removed

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Becstar']but i need some primary research for my coursework
    So do some. Don't just expect someone else to do it for you

If you put forward a hypothesis then it can be discussed.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Becstar']...Any views will do...

Any views, eh. How about this one...

My view on the matter is... Feed the dog before you ask it to pull the sled.

I'm sure your local library will be a good starting place. Or you could start a thread here and think up some good educated questions to ask us.

We're not visiting a zoo with a bucket of fish, and you are not a sea lion.

Show us you're doing some leg work for yourself, before asking us to do some leg work to help you

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Looks like the word is out in student land on the Brit Movie forum as a good place to log into and get members here to to do work/ research/ give ideas and answers to often impolite posts that give not much back to the site......???? I for one do not respond well to impoliteness as demonstrated in the first post in this thread and as has already been pointed out it would seem basic courtesy and manners are not something many students nowadays feel the need to express. Sorry, but count me out.

Liked
    418 times
    name='christoph404']Looks like the word is out in student land on the Brit Movie forum as a good place to log into and get members here to to do work/ research/ give ideas and answers to often impolite posts that give not much back to the site......???? I for one do not respond well to impoliteness as demonstrated in the first post in this thread and as has already been pointed out it would seem basic courtesy and manners are not something many students nowadays feel the need to express. Sorry, but count me out.
    In that case the wrong word is out. We said a long time ago and to many that have tried the same thing, that we won't do their work for them. But if they come up with some ideas of their own then, if they ask nicely, we might well help them develop those ideas and will discuss them so that they can refine them

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    name='Steve Crook']In that case the wrong word is out. We said a long time ago and to many that have tried the same thing, that we won't do their work for them. But if they come up with some ideas of their own then, if they ask nicely, we might well help them develop those ideas and will discuss them so that they can refine them

Steve

I shall look forward to the day when a polite student with ideas of their own that they are willing to share and who are willing to engage in a two way discussion joins the forum! I too will happily engage with that sort of person! And yes the wrong word is out as you say, thankfully members here are not so daft as to fall for that trick, but there seemed to be a sudden rush of requests along the same lines from students over the past few days, as if word had past around the campus!

Liked
    0 times
    name='christoph404']...but there seemed to be a sudden rush of requests along the same lines from students over the past few days, as if word had past around the campus!

Or it could be the same student.

Liked
    0 times
    To all those who told me to get lost and do my own work....

Hey guys. Look im sooooooo sorry if u all felt that i was trying to get out of doing my work. Im not seriously. For a start it was my teacher that suggested that we use forums to get some views back which we can analyse. If you knew me u seriously wouldn't think id ever try to get out of it but thats not the point. I thought this would be a really good way of getting a wide range of different viewpoints, i can understand why u might think that im slacking but i only intended to look through the replies and choose a few which made interesting comments that would open up differnet ideas which i could further research. I was never going to copy them or misuse them. I didn't realise you guys felt so seriously about this, i mean i only found this site through google when searching for stuff about women and the film industry when i came across Cerbehs post on women as sex objects. That inspired me to do my own and to focus it more on my area of study, i thought if they were allowed to open up a discussion on the subject why couldn't i. Obviously i forgot about student stereotyping. Look as i said im REALLY Sorry that you feel like this and no other students i know have knowledge of this site so ur integrity still exists. My main point is that im not trying to get you guys to do the work for me, i know about the feminist film theory and that only 33% of the industry is women who are paid less than men and ive conducted a pilot questionnaire on female film viewing. This has got to carry on for a whole year so... Those who want a hypothesis my hypothesis is

"Are women under-represented in the film industry and why"

I just thought that wording it the way i did before was more open and helped to explain more the knid of things i am investigating. Im trying to be a polite student and i didn't mean to sound unpolite but nobody warned me of the way this whole thing worked. I hope this post coveys that.

If this post has changed ur mind about replying with ur views on womens roles in the film industry then please do i'd be really grateful. If not then im still really sorry and the way u reacted quite shocked me, i guess id never b any good on big brother

Thanx a lot anyway, this has completely changed my views on forums, i guess ill be more cautious next time. Forgive me

Bec(not such a star)

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Becstar']my hypothesis is "Are women under-represented in the film industry and why"
    Speaking for myself, I'm hardly the one to ask. I frequent the Board but I'm no film industry expert.......

I can't see how women are 'under-represented', they're all over the film industry aren't they? Maybe they don't like doing the jobs you think they should be doing.....

Liked
    0 times
    name='Becstar']To all those who told me to get lost and do my own work....

Hey guys. Look im sooooooo sorry if u all felt that i was trying to get out of doing my work. Im not seriously.

Why don't you open up a new thread and present us with some material to work from. I, for one, would be happy to help... but only so long as I don't feel I might be being used like a mug.

Don't just ask us an open-ended question. Show us you have a real interest and have already put lots of thought into the matter. Then you may find a lot of us only too happy to share our views and help out.

Interview us, Becs. Enter into the give and take of the forum.

The forum is a society. Enter into the society of it. If you do have a real interest in movies then it may very well be fun for you and for us.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='Becstar']To all those who told me to get lost and do my own work....

Hey guys. Look im sooooooo sorry if u all felt that i was trying to get out of doing my work. Im not seriously. For a start it was my teacher that suggested that we use forums to get some views back which we can analyse. Thanx a lot anyway, this has completely changed my views on forums, i guess ill be more cautious next time. Forgive me

Bec(not such a star)

To be honest, Bec, it isn't your fault....you wouldn't know that you're just the latest in a very long line of students to come here with very similar requests...in the past many have helped out, sometimes without any acknowledgement, let alone thanks. The fault lies partly with your student predecessors, but mostly with the teachers who send them here as if we're a free resource...we're not, we're people with other things to do....please pass this feedback back to your teacher.

Thank you for posting back....if there is anything more specific you wish to ask, like film recommendations, and how to source them, we'll be pleased to help.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Becstar']Those who want a hypothesis my hypothesis is

"Are women under-represented in the film industry and why"
    I should have said "present a hypothesis and initial argument and that could be the basis for discussion"

As Aaryk says, you could start a new discussion thread about it.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Bec presents his reasons for coming here clearly enough, and I imagine it's the same with each of the dozens of prior requests.

Since Bec resurrected this thread, I assumed that at least a skimming read of the preceding pages (where all of the recent points had been stated before) would have encouraged the delivery of some 'starting point' for a student to write.

So, Bec, what's your premise? Have you suspected changes in film era's?

Liked
    120 times
    name='ChristineCB']So, Bec, what's your premise? Have you suspected changes in film era's?
    Is that the question? I thought it was about the film industry today.......

Not that it matters much. I expect Bec's beggared off to the library by now....

Liked
    0 times
    Moor, even if it was a study of today's film industry (this year's? This decades'?), I'd probably consider the differences in types of films, types of roles, the types of women selected and considerations for why one actress was chosen instead of another. With women, usually costuming because a more noticeable decision process. And age of actresses used in the same film compared to the age of the actors. Are those different, studio to studio? From one filmmaker to another?

Liked
    120 times
    name='ChristineCB']types of films, types of roles, the types of women selected and considerations for why one actress was chosen instead of another...... And age of actresses used in the same film compared to the age of the actors.

[becs said = the main focus of my work is into women behind the scenes, female directors in particular rather than actresses. Are women really under represented in the industry? Is it more difficult for women to join the industry or is it just that women are less interested in film making? What stereotypes exist about women in the film industry and why?

That's why I took it to be about the industry today.......

I'll settle for this Millenium..........

See what you've started now Becs!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast