Liked
    151 times
    Can anyone clear up the connection between Kay Carlton's Hill Studios in St Johns Wood and the imdb listed Kay's Studio, Carlton Hill, Maida Vale. They produced some quote quickies in the early post-war years. I presume they're in the same? And does anybody know who 'Kay' is/was?

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (DB7 @ Nov 29 2005, 02:35 PM)

Can anyone clear up the connection between Kay Carlton's Hill Studios in St Johns Wood and the imdb listed Kay's Studio, Carlton Hill, Maida Vale. They produced some quote quickies in the early post-war years. I presume they're in the same? And does anybody know who 'Kay' is/was
    Listed at the Carlton Hill, Maida Vale address in the British Film Yearbook for 1947/8, not at all in the war years edition (which also lists those commandeered or idle for war reasons).

Kay may not be a name; could be an initial 'K' of someones surname, as in Spoor and Anderson, S 'n A, became Essanay; or it could just stand for Kinematograph, the word being still in common industry usage at the time..

Liked
    151 times
    Cheers Penfold, I'll upload a screengrab.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Probably just a geographic....

Carlton Hill runs from Maida Vale to Marlborough Hill (cutting across Abbey Rd) and is just behind Lords Cricket club. Hence it can choose either Maida Vale or St. John's Wood as it's address.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    (smudge @ Nov 30 2005, 08:05 PM)

Probably just a geographic....

Carlton Hill runs from Maida Vale to Marlborough Hill (cutting across Abbey Rd) and is just behind Lords Cricket club. Hence it can choose either Maida Vale or St. John's Wood as it's address.

SMUDGE

Don't know if this is any use....

Patricia Warren's "British Film Studios: An Illustrated History", lists the Westminister Studios as having the address of Carlton Hill. She states they were owned by Nettlefold films for the shooting of quota quickies. Mario Zampi's Anglofilm Ltd moved in during the early 50s and Cullimore-Arbeid Productions also shot their films there. After 1953 it was used only for TV work.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    (catflap @ Dec 1 2005, 12:45 AM)

Don't know if this is any use....

Patricia Warren's "British Film Studios: An Illustrated History", lists the Westminister Studios as having the address of Carlton Hill. She states they were owned by Nettlefold films for the shooting of quota quickies. Mario Zampi's Anglofilm Ltd moved in during the early 50s and Cullimore-Arbeid Productions also shot their films there. After 1953 it was used only for TV work.
    I once did some work, briefly, at a studio in Carlton Hill. It was, as I recall, owned by a TV facilities company then and doing work such as commercials and music videos - can't remember the company name now, it was about fifteen years ago. I wonder if it's still active.

Liked
    114 times
    (alan gowdy @ Dec 1 2005, 02:34 PM)

I once did some work, briefly, at a studio in Carlton Hill. It was, as I recall, owned by a TV facilities company then and doing work such as commercials and music videos - can't remember the company name now, it was about fifteen years ago. I wonder if it's still active.
    It's not a big white building is it Alan, with a classical arch at the front ? I am just getting a vague memory of a telly building from a St. John's Wood walkabout years ago....

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    From Patricia Warren's British Film Studios Page 7, Forword by Sir Sidney Samuelson:–

"I remember the little studios with considerable affection, like Carlton Hill, Maida Vale, a Victorian villa with the ground floor converted to a sound stage. The fact that there was a pillar smack in the middle of the stage was accepted and thought of as a design challenge.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    (smudge @ Dec 1 2005, 03:32 PM)

It's not a big white building is it Alan, with a classical arch at the front ? I am just getting a vague memory of a telly building from a St. John's Wood walkabout years ago....

SMUDGE
    Yes, that sounds like it, Smudge.

Liked
    114 times
    (alan gowdy @ Dec 12 2005, 01:42 PM)

Yes, that sounds like it, Smudge.
    Thanks Alan -

IIRC it pops up in an episode of THE PERSUADERS - the one where Danny Wilde gets kidnapped. I'll have to get me old telly guides out...

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    name='smudge']It's not a big white building is it Alan, with a classical arch at the front ? I am just getting a vague memory of a telly building from a St. John's Wood walkabout years ago....

Never seen this studio on an end credit before but it's from The House in the Woods ('57)

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    Never seen this studio on an end credit before but it's from The House in the Woods ('57)

Win Well Productions (formed by Derek Winn and Bill Luckwell) also made the pilot episode for the tentative "The Locked Door" TV film series (1959) at St. John's Wood Studio. The pilot "The Case of the Devil Girl" would be the first of a series of 13 half hour films, based on the writings of Harry Price, to then be filmed at Walton Studios.

Ann Todd was linking narrator, and the film starred Dennis Price as Harry Price. Others in the cast included Ellen Pollock and Jean Dawnay.

It's possible this pilot also listed St. John's Wood Studio in the end credits. I realise it would be an end credit for a TV production, and not a film, but still interesting to note. Yet, unless someone remembers seeing the pilot on TV, it might be hard to confirm since that pilot is considered lost.

Best,

Barbara

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    That's the Building, with the tall columns. Was used for Adverts and pop videos now I believe as a TV Channel. Certain I have seen it before used for B Films and/or some old TV series.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park
    That's the Building, with the tall columns. Was used for Adverts and pop videos now I believe as a TV Channel. Certain I have seen it before used for B Films and/or some old TV series.
    I think you're right. St. John's Wood Studios, 87 St. John's Wood Terrace, London, NW8 6PY, is listed as a "film, TV, video and broadcasting facility.

Barbara

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    From the google machine and a magazine called "Film User":

THE KAY ORGANISATION COMPRISES:
    KAY LABORATORIES, Oxford Road, Finsbury Park, London, N.4 Telephone: ARChway 3050
    KAY WEST END RECORDING STUDIO and LABORATORY , 22 Soho Square, London, W.1 Telephone: GERrard 7811
    KAY CARLTON HILL STUDIOS

also:
    In 1963 Kay�s offer better service than before. Carlton Hill is firmly established as the ideal studio for every type of filming (you�d be surprised how many TV commercials we�ve made). Our new recording studio in Soho Square is heavily booked but we�ll find time for your job����

I was reading elsewhere that Jimmy Sangster got his first job at Carlton Hill.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    In the mid 60's we dubbed Melvyn Bragg's BBC series of Arts docs 'The Impresarios' at Kay's Carlton Hill. As far s I can remember there didn't seem to be much shooting taking place at the time.