Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space 1999

Liked
    0 times
    ... anyone out there fan of this 70's sci-fi series?

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah yes. Space 1999. This should have been UFOs second series but it got cancelled to make way for Space 1999. I don't mind Space 1999 as its fairly cheesy stuff. Thought UFO was better though. I preferred the first series of Space 1999 as the scripts were generally better quality. When it got to the second series, there was a bit too much of some alien running amok amongst the good people of Moonbase Alpha. I see ITV4 are showing it now. I usually give it a watch as its harmless enough and quite enjoyable in a seventies way.

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I always thought Space 1999 was way too po-faced and staffed by middle aged fogeys! On the otherhand, UFO had the luscious Gabby Drake. UFO by a mile for my money.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    For one thing,I preferred Space 1999to Star Trek - there were better actors in Thunderbirdsetc.

Ta Ta

Marky B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    0 times
    (ricardo-abreu @ Dec 16 2005, 07:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

... anyone out there fan of this 70's sci-fi series?

[/b]

a friend of mine named his daughter "Dione" after a character from an episode called

"the last enemy" i think that she was played by the yummy Caroline Mortimer.

Liked
    0 times
    Mind you, Cally from Blake's 7 - always gave me a tingle [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    0 times
    (arty-dave @ Dec 19 2005, 03:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Mind you, Cally from Blake's 7 - always gave me a tingle [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[/b]

yes arty,,,,,,,,it was those cheekbones that wowed me.

and the rest of her of course!!!!!!!

she was in a drama recently playing a lawyer,,,,,still yummy.

Jenna wasn't bad too.

regards piroflip

Liked
    0 times

Yes piroflip, still very attractive [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (arty-dave @ Dec 19 2005, 03:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Gosh, and I thought I was the only one who got that... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blushing.gif[/img]

As to the Sci-Fi debate, not only did UFO have Gabby (AU PAIR GALS) Drake, but the tech was far better ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

SMUDGE

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/devil.gif[/img]

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    I only had eyes for buxom Jenna played by Sally Knyvette [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    And what about Glynis Barber later on ? Bet you fell that way too.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

I reckon Servalan was a bit of a goer ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blushing.gif[/img]

SMUDGE

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/devil.gif[/img]

Liked
    0 times
    (smudge @ Dec 21 2005, 09:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>I reckon Servalan was a bit of a goer ![/b]

I reckon she was too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times

"This must be the place!"

Daily Express, 14th February 1975

I've never been interested in this programme really but it had some excellent guests - not least Margaret Leighton
    (my latest archive search). If the text is difficult to read, and if the link below doesn't help, I'll 'willingly' transcribe:

Space 1999 - Daily Express, 14th February 1975

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Loved Space 1999 when it was first broadcast, I used to cycle to my Gran's house 9 miles away to watch it on a small black and white TV, we lived in a small cottage with no electricity at the time!! I have the blu ray box set, series one Im talking about of course, series two is a different format altogether. The blu ray transfer looks absolutely stunning, its been restored from the original 35mm film negative and for a 35+ year old TV series in terms of visual quality it knocks spots off many current TV programs. The special effects are of the highest standard, no computers or CGi, its all done in camera and many of the special effects crew had worked with Kubrick on 2001, it was the most expensive TV series ever made at the time and it shows, the production values are first rate and I think it really stands up 35+ years later. The stories are all a bit etherial and follow the mystical/spiritual premise the was a major theme of 2001, that aspect is very 1970s I think, some episodes really overload that aspect to the point of tedium, but all episodes are great to look at especially "Force of Life" with Ian McShane, Dragon's Domain with classical music soundtrack by Albinoni very reminiscent of 2001, and Mission of The Darians, with Joan Collins who also appeared in my favourite episode of Star Trek, City on The Edge of Forever.

Senior Member Country: UK hot snow's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    unfortunately it finished the anderson empire

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    9 times
    I'm watching this at the moment.
    Hugh difference between the first and second series..
    Series two is cheaper and much trashier, but the characters are far more well written.In series one it was mostly plot driven.Series two has lots more humour too.

Amazing that Barbara Bain won an Emmy three years running for Mission Impossible as she can be very wooden in this show.She moves stiffly and has a frozen expression.I have to laugh every time I see her in the opening for series one...Her face as she turns her head and body to the camera is priceless!..

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Wow, I'd forgotten what an intergalactic treat for the eyes Barbara Leon was!
    Enough to melt a moonrock!

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Space 1999 was a big event on Anglia TV who showed it (at least season 1) on Sunday night. Remember season 2 used Star Trek season 3 producer Fred Freiberger in order to rescue the show's ratings. Season 2 was a bit cheesy, but no worse than say Voyage TTBOT Sea, it's just that by 1976 we were a bit more demanding of our TV (and 60s shows had a camp appeal). UFO was far better, more intelligently conceived and scripted, and who doesn't love a woman in a purple wig!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Great show! Used to dash to the TV when the opening credits sounded. The original dramatic score, not the naff latter one!

Intelligent and ambitious with some great ideas for the time, if a little silly 70's now?

I even thought that some episodes were quite moving at the end, quite thoughtful and introspective?

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I liked Space 1999 as well, I use to rush home from my friends most Saturdays as a child so I would be in time to watch it. Lots of lovely Ladies on it as well

UFO was also quite a good show Ed Bishop was great as Straker ( he was another Brooklyn boy who did well in acting)...

shado-ufo-girls-moonbase-10.jpg

space1999c.jpg

I tended to like most Gerry Anderson shows especially Captain Scarlet,

I believe he did a few other shows after Space 1999 like;

Captain Scarlet (new TV Series)

Space Precinct (TV Series)

Dick Spanner, P.I. (TV Series)

Terrahawks (TV Series)

Space Police

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast