Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Good for you Jamesclark...after you have seen it try and get a copy of 'The Fallen Idol' 1948...Graham Greene and Carol Reed at their best. We are so lucky in this day and age, to get the finest films and prints for in home entertainment on DVD...It wasn't long ago that all we had was poor 16mm prints that cost the earth to hire plus a Bell & Howell projector to go with them!

Film Man.

Liked
    0 times
    This is one of the most wonderful British films ever made. But so, so, so sad. Really. But the acting from all - Robert Newton, Cyril Cusack, and of course, James Mason - heartbreaking. And the elderly priest who tries to help Mason's beloved girlfriend. Don't know the actor's name but he's breathtakingly good.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dolores
    This is one of the most wonderful British films ever made. But so, so, so sad. Really. But the acting from all - Robert Newton, Cyril Cusack, and of course, James Mason - heartbreaking. And the elderly priest who tries to help Mason's beloved girlfriend. Don't know the actor's name but he's breathtakingly good.
    Hello again Dolores (from the George Innes thread).

The actor who played the priest was W.G. Fay, although it's F. J. McCormick's performance that stands out for me. He was great. James Mason, my favourite film actor, is too subdued for my liking in this role - I prefer his more colourful performances ("To our next merry meeting - in HELL!"), although in the context of the film, he did have some eloquent moments, notably in his 'When I became a man ...' speech.

This link provides a bit of information about the film: Odd Man Out (1947)

Liked
    0 times
    Hello, Cornershop! I just dropped by George's thread and saw your wonderful photos of him. I'm afraid I forget who FJ McCormick played. Let me know. An all around classic, though.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dolores
    Hello, Cornershop! I just dropped by George's thread and saw your wonderful photos of him. I'm afraid I forget who FJ McCormick played. Let me know. An all around classic, though.
    McCormick played a character called Shell but I don't know what his role in the film involved. Apparently he was considered the most versatile Irish actor of his generation but preferred the stage to films. Sadly, he died the same year Odd Man Out was released.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12