Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    As well as the recently released region B Blu-ray & region 2 DVD the digitally restored print is on a world tour of cinemas

Steve
    Oh, very nice. I didn't know about that. Thanks.

That is a film I would like to see in a theatre. The production is stunning in every detail. I know that I am missing something when I am seeing it on the small screen.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    That is a film I would like to see in a theatre. The production is stunning in every detail. I know that I am missing something when I am seeing it on the small screen.
    It's how they were made to be seen, on the big screen. As big a screen as possible, preferably one that fills your field of view. That lets you really get absorbed into it.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    One of my all time favourite films - and the Barcarolle scene is so unashamedly sensual. I cannot hear that music anywhere without running the scene in my head! I hope they never try a re-make because the original cast are just perfect.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimuae View Post
    One of my all time favourite films - and the Barcarolle scene is so unashamedly sensual. I cannot hear that music anywhere without running the scene in my head! I hope they never try a re-make because the original cast are just perfect.
    And the Barcarolle was so cleverly done, what is usually sung as a duet is sung by Giulietta singing to her own reflection
    The whole of the Giulietta sequence is supremely sensual, what with the orgy scene and with Ludmilla in that cat suit - she defines slinky

The whole film is full of clever touches like that, like the "staircase" unrolled towards the end of the Olympia sequence or the way Antonia continually runs through the same room. It's not a film of a staged opera it is a truly filmic opera.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Unless there's more than one of these Barcarolle sequences (or even more than one Tales of Hoffman) the very piece was knocked out as a chosen favourite this morning on the BBC Radio Breakfast Programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pr301

Appears at around 1hr 23m from the beginning if I can understand this new (just for the sake of it) BBC website.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Unless there's more than one of these Barcarolle sequences (or even more than one Tales of Hoffman) the very piece was knocked out as a chosen favourite this morning on the BBC Radio Breakfast Programme

Appears at around 1hr 23m from the beginning if I can understand this new (just for the sake of it) BBC website.
    Well there's a Barcarolle in every production of The Tales of Hoffmann, and there are a lot of productions of The Tales of Hoffmann.

It was in English (it's usually in German or Italian) like in the film but it was sung by Liz blackhead (Elisabeth Schwartzkopf) and Jeannine Collard, not by Margherita Grandi duetting with herself as per the film

The announcer said it was from Act 4, it's Act 2 in the film. There is often confusion about the correct order of the acts.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post

Yes, I heard that and it is good - but I much prefer the Margherita Grandi version

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimuae View Post
    Yes, I heard that and it is good - but I much prefer the Margherita Grandi version
    Ludmilla Tch�rina is much slinkier than Liz blackhead

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I just watched this again. Most people i know don't care for it. I can understand that it is unusual and extremely imaginative in very unexpected ways. Every time I watch it, something else catches my attention. This time it was the dolls that are brought to life and clap with their hands made of wood. They are convincing and eerie - in most films when dolls are brought to life the result is horror or comedy, but it is not convincing. Here it actually seems to have happened.

I can see now why I stop the DVD player so often during a Powell and Pressburger film: the sheer imagination and inventiveness. It is exciting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12