Liked
    0 times
    I hope no-one minds if I list the British films playing on the ABC over the next week or so. They're listed by the night, rather than the day they're technically on.

SUN 22/01 Night/MON morning:

1:15 - The Magic Bow (1946) - Stewart Granger, Jean Kent

3:05 - Baroud (1933)

4:30 - Carry On Abroad (1972)

MON 23/01:

1:20 - A Tale Of Two Cities (1958) - Dirk Bogarde

3:20 - Double Exposure (1954)

4:30 - The Long Memory (1952) - John Mills

TUE 24/01:

12:25 - Passage Home (1955) - Peter Finch

2:05 - The October Man (1947) - John Mills, Joan Greenwood

4:30 - The Reluctant Widow (1950) - Jean Kent

WED 25/01:

12:30 - Thirty Nine Steps (1978) - Robert Powell

2:10 - Soldiers Of The King (1933) - Cicely Courtneidge

4:30 - Doctor At Sea (1955) - Dirk Bogarde, Brigitte Bardot

THU 26/01:

2:45 - They Were Not Divided (1950)

4:30 - Venetian Bird (1952) - John Gregson

SUN 29/01:

12:35 - Sweet Devil (1938) - Bobby Howes, Jean Gillie

1:50 - Mr Emmanuel (1944) - Greta Gynt

3:25 - Follow Me Quietly (1949)

4:30 - Carry On Again Doctor

MON 30/01:

12:15 - On The Beat (1962)

2:00 - True As A Turtle (1957) - John Gregson

4:30 - Band Waggon (1940) - Arthur Askey

~Tweedy

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Tweedy you are lucky enough to get more British films aired on TV than we do

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    What about They're a Weird Mob (1966) or Age of Consent (1969)? Do they count as British or Australian?

And I'm always interested to hear what Australians think of them, especially They're a Weird Mob. It could be seen as patronising, but given when it was made, many are prepared to forgive it that. It was the headline film at the 1st Italian-Australian film festival in Sydney last year. They even gave that title to the whole festival.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    (Harbottle @ Jan 21 2006, 05:13 AM)

Tweedy you are lucky enough to get more British films aired on TV than we do
    That's a great pity. There does seem to be an anti-British feeling in Britain, especially in the sense of not wanting to celebrate great cultural achievements of the past, which puzzles a proud Child of Empire like me. I've noticed a lot of British documentaries demonising this or that great Briton, or aspect of traditional culture. It gets pretty depressing. When will the BBC re-screen The Goodies, for example? This is an institution, bordering on religion, in Australia, thanks to constant repeats at tea-time throughout the 80's and 90's. I went to their show (The Goodies Still Alive On Stage), a sell-out national tour, in November. (They'd done a smaller sell-out tour in March, 45,000 tickets sold). The house was packed to the rafters, the atmosphere electric, and a second show immediately followed. No-one can believe the series has never been repeated in Britain

We really have an embarrassment of riches with the ABC's overnight schedule - the only part of television here I can bear to watch. The films are repeated about once every three to six months, so if you miss one screening you only have to wait.

~Tweedy

Liked
    0 times
    (Steve Crook @ Jan 21 2006, 09:10 AM)

What about They're a Weird Mob (1966) or Age of Consent (1969)? Do they count as British or Australian?

And I'm always interested to hear what Australians think of them, especially They're a Weird Mob. It could be seen as patronising, but given when it was made, many are prepared to forgive it that. It was the headline film at the 1st Italian-Australian film festival in Sydney last year. They even gave that title to the whole festival.

Steve
    I'm afraid I haven't seen either of these (there's an anti-Australian culture in Australia, would you believe, which means we rarely get our own films on television or in the cinema...) but They're A Weird Mob is well-regarded, as far as I know. I love Norman Lindsay as a character, great enemy of the Wowsers (puritans) so it would be interesting to see one of his novels on screen.

One British-Australian film I do really like is Walkabout (1971). It sometimes takes an outsider to get to grips with things the natives prefer to ignore, or can't see at all. And it's got Jenny Agutter

~Tweedy

Liked
    418 times
    (Tweedy @ Jan 21 2006, 08:42 AM)

I'm afraid I haven't seen either of these (there's an anti-Australian culture in Australia, would you believe, which means we rarely get our own films on television or in the cinema...) but They're A Weird Mob is well-regarded, as far as I know. I love Norman Lindsay as a character, great enemy of the Wowsers (puritans) so it would be interesting to see one of his novels on screen.

One British-Australian film I do really like is Walkabout (1971). It sometimes takes an outsider to get to grips with things the natives prefer to ignore, or can't see at all. And it's got Jenny Agutter

~Tweedy
    If you could see They're A Weird Mob you might not have such a high regard for it. I would imagine it is a bit cringe-inducing with some of its stereotypes of Australians. But it was well-intentioned and it did apparently do quite a bit towards the (re-)awakening of the Australian film industry.

It's available on DVD from places like EZY DVD and it has a very good "Making of ..." documentary on the DVD.

And of course Age of Consent has the young Helen Mirren who finds it just as difficult as Jenny Agutter to keep her clothes on.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times

Liked
    0 times
    (Steve Crook @ Jan 21 2006, 09:10 AM)

Steve
    I did a bit of research on They're A Weird Mob for a fellow who is writing a chapter about the film for an upcoming book on Australian cinema.

It was certainly a massive hit when it first played here, having record runs at some pretty prestigious theatres in Melbourne in Sydney, but even back then the reviewers of the day sneered at it. It WAS seen as patronising and culturally lazy, but certainly the filmmaking skills were admired.

In truth though, the film's success was comparable to that of On The Beach in helping kickstart the local film industry.

In no way at all. It still remained dormant for a good few years.

Liked
    418 times
    (catflap @ Jan 25 2006, 06:54 AM)

I did a bit of research on They're A Weird Mob for a fellow who is writing a chapter about the film for an upcoming book on Australian cinema.

It was certainly a massive hit when it first played here, having record runs at some pretty prestigious theatres in Melbourne in Sydney, but even back then the reviewers of the day sneered at it. It WAS seen as patronising and culturally lazy, but certainly the filmmaking skills were admired.

In truth though, the film's success was comparable to that of On The Beach in helping kickstart the local film industry.

In no way at all. It still remained dormant for a good few years.
    Thanks for that catflap. I'd be interested to hear about the book when it's finished. We have quite a few Australian members in the P&P email group so that could well be a few more sales there.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    (Steve Crook @ Jan 25 2006, 09:26 PM)

Thanks for that catflap. I'd be interested to hear about the book when it's finished. We have quite a few Australian members in the P&P email group so that could well be a few more sales there.

Steve
    Rolando Caputo was the author in question and I think you may know of him from his previous connections with scrreings of the film at the Cinemateque and other places.

From what I remember the book was devoted to a number of key Australian titles, with various contributors offering their thoughts on films they had selected.

Rolando is quite the expert on Italian cinema and looked at Powell's film through the context of the migrant experience in Australia.

When the book is closer to publication I'll be sure to let you know.

Let me re-iterate though that the film was a MASSIVE hit with audiences. Pictures from the premiere made the major papers in Sydney (uncommon then) and audiences loved it. I can recall it being quite an event when I first saw it on Oz TV in the mid 70s, but since then it has been somewhat forgotten. However I do believe that was due to copyright problems in this country that keep it off screens for around 20 years.

Liked
    418 times
    There's also been the problems about the soundtrack music although there is a version with the original music that has been shown in a few places.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Does anyone remember a film called Squeeze a Flower,which I believe was set in Australia,but it was about an Italian monk going down under? I think the late Dave Allen was in it.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Member Country: Australia Darling's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Three cheers for Aunty!...even with the ubiquitous ABC logo tucked away in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

I've just recently recorded Sky West and Crooked with Hayley Mills and Ian McShane on DVD finally (recorded it on VHS years ago)...and, as you already know, Twinky.

I'm now waiting for another screening of The Wild and the Willing (Ian McShane, John Hurt), The Sandwich Man (Michael Bentine, Suzy Kendall) and Quest for Love (Tom Bell, Joan Collins) amongst others and, of course, Whistle Down the Wind, which I missed recently, all of which are rescreened regularly.

And ever hopeful Aunty will oblige with The Jokers and I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name", which haven't been screened for ages.

Also recently screened was The Ipcress File, which I watched, and The Quiller Memorandum, but didn't record.

Currently sorting through videos with a view to converting to DVD and came across Maroc 7 (Gene Barry, Leslie Phillips, Denholm Elliott), All Coppers Are...(Martin Potter, Julia Foster, Nicky Henson) and I Was Happy Here (Sarah Miles), all recorded on VHS from Aunty some time ago.

If you're a fan of older films, it's a veritable feast but there are a few gems for '60s and early '70s fans like myself.

Edit: How could I forget The Fast Lady with Julie Christie!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I think it was second feature at the pictures,years ago. I must be sad,because I can't remember what the main feature was

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    (Darling @ Jan 29 2006, 10:43 AM)

And ever hopeful Aunty will oblige with The Jokers and I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name", which haven't been screened for ages.
    Hi Darling, (Gee, I like saying that!)

Both those films mentioned have been shown on Foxtel film channels over the last couple of months, so they are still around. Eventually they may return to the ABC.

A case in point - 'I Know Where I'm Going' was shown many times on the ABC, then it suddenly appeared on pay. It was shown 4-5 times and the last showing was listed as "Final Play", so I imagine it will eventually return to Aunty.

Dave.

Member Country: Australia Darling's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    (David Brent @ Jan 31 2006, 05:23 PM)

Hi Darling, (Gee, I like saying that!)

Both those films mentioned have been shown on Foxtel film channels over the last couple of months, so they are still around. Eventually they may return to the ABC.

A case in point - 'I Know Where I'm Going' was shown many times on the ABC, then it suddenly appeared on pay. It was shown 4-5 times and the last showing was listed as "Final Play", so I imagine it will eventually return to Aunty.

Dave.
    Well thank you for that David, darling...hmmm, just trying it out, hope you don't mind.

I don't have cable/satellite. I live in a block of units so I'm not sure if it would be very practical/worth the trouble and would I watch enough to justify it? Probably not.

Liked
    0 times
    and tonight, after two american films, lupe velez in "mexican spitfire's blessed event" and james stewart in "magic town, we have "double exposure" (1954) with rona anderson and john bentley, followed by jessie matthews in "gangway" (1937).