Liked
    0 times
    The Legend Of Hell House (1973) directed by John Hough and starring Roddy McDowell, Pamela Franklin and Peter Bowles.

I first saw this film in 1976 when I was nine years of age.

Totally scared me half to death.

That seance scene is still as atmospheric today as it was then. Relying so much on technology, they just don't seem to know how to employ the same psychology in films these days; for the most part the art of film making has taken a back seat to computer generated special effects to satisfy what I call The Playstation generation.

Anyone else have any fond memories of The Legend Of Hell House?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I was fine with it up until the denouement, when I think it all went a little bit silly. Almost as if the producers realised and didn't truly want to scare their audience half to death.

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Love it, love it, love it.

Liked
    0 times
    never seen it.

Liked
    0 times
    Decent enough film. I also watched this many years ago and it scared the shit out of me(but then again so did many of the Hammer/Amicus/Universal horror movies) I liked Roddy a lot, he was fantastic in Fright Night.

I always prefered Wise's The Haunting though. A film that is still a joy to watch today, with enough bumps, jumps and subplots to fill a dozen movies.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Ahh yes, Gayle Hunnicutt! I've got it on DVD but I remember seeing it absolutely years ago and it scared the crap out of me! I believe the actress Pamela Franklin who played the gobby medium Florence Tanner is now pursuing her interests in antiques by running a shop i think with her partner in America somewhere. She retired from showbusiness some time ago. I could be talking crap, but I'm sure I heard that a few years ago....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    I have it on dvd and still love it no matter how many times i watch it, the house itself is so creepy from the outside with the windows all bricked up.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Liar
    Decent enough film. I also watched this many years ago and it scared the shit out of me(but then again so did many of the Hammer/Amicus/Universal horror movies) I liked Roddy a lot, he was fantastic in Fright Night.

I always preferred Wise's The Haunting though. A film that is still a joy to watch today, with enough bumps, jumps and subplots to fill a dozen movies.
    Right-o, and the Lewton/Wise films The Curse of the Cat People and The Body Snatcher are the best of that respective cycle.

I say of Legend -Read the book insted, it's much better. As are most Matheson

books, compared to their movie adaptations...

I Am Legend, Stir of Echos, -&- Hell House especially.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by U.V.RAY
    The Legend Of Hell House (1973) directed by John Hough and starring Roddy McDowell, Pamela Franklin and Peter Bowles.

I first saw this film in 1976 when I was nine years of age.

Totally scared me half to death.

I saw it in 1977 when I was thirty one.

scared the pants off me.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Bell Bottom George's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I`ve just bought and watched The Legend Of Hell House (1973), and after I`d watched it I noticed on the back cover a photo` of what appears to be a figure dragging something whilst waist deep in water. For the life of me I can`t recall seeing this scene in the film ! There are two other stills that I remember, but not this one. Please tell me I`m not mad, and, what`s worse - the fact that I`d just watched a film, then I can`t remember it !!!!

The DVD is the 2002 20th Century Fox version.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?????

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    lol

Yup a still has crawled in from

Return to Boggy Creek

20th Century Fox - still not really with the DVD program!

there are sooo many Fox films still missing, I think they are still pouting after the DIVX fiasco.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Bell Bottom George's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks for clearing that up for me, Wearysloth. - What a strange thing for Fox to have let happen ! (wonder if it`ll become a collectors item in the future ? ....NOT)