Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flaxton Boys

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help given in tracking these down.Look foreward now to watching them again after all this time !

Jacks

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Guys

Check this on you tube it's the opening of the flaxton boys, God it brings back some fond memories

YouTube - The Flaxton Boys

I'm still trying to find the series on dvd, Can anyone help?

Steve Jacques Du Casse

Liked
    0 times
    I Have 2 episodes only of the Flaxton Boys,if anyone has more would also be interested in these.

Jax

Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone tell me if and where i may be able to watch, or get episodes of the flaxton boys, or one by one the zoo vet programme.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi I have 2 episodes of The Flaxton Boys if needed still.Happy to trade.

Jax

Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I would love to get a hold of these. Can anyone help me out, Thanks Johnny.

Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone got a copy of the original series (I believe there were two) of this ITV kids drama? As a kid I thought it was brilliant. It was set in the early 19th century or thereabouts and involved two kids searching for treasure in a country house with the clues to the said treasures location being hidden in the words of Thomas Grey's famous poem 'Elegy written in a country Churchyard'.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I loved the Flaxton boys, I remember the music..

Liked
    0 times
    In relation to acquiring copies of the Flaxton Boys.

Many will know that Sid devised the series and wrote the majority of the episodes. He has e-mailed me to explain that ITV Yorkshire have copies in their library and would be willing to provide them "for a price".

I know they are sought after by quite a few as reflected on this forum.

My questions are:

Has anyone ever written to an ITV company in these circumstances before?

If so what was the outcome?

When Sid refers to ITV Yorkshire I guess its whichever franchise now operates in Yorkshire as the old Yorkshire TV disappeared many moons ago didn't it.

Finally, its possible that a bulk request might get a better reception and would reduce the unit price. Is anyone else remotely interested in this project?

Many thanks for your time.

Longshanks

Liked
    0 times
    I wrote to the BBC once to find out if they had any plans to release an old series (The Further Adventures of the Musketeers 1967) on DVD. They refered me to BBC Worldwide who refered me to a company called 2entertain. They said that they had no plans but do review requests periodically to see if there is enough interest, so it's always worth a try. I expect they might appreciate the "bulk request".

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks

Liked
    0 times
    As promised here is the response from ITV (Yorkshire) in response to my request for DVDs. I have sent a follow up questioning the cost which is obviously just to put people off. However, I have also mentioned this board as an example of much latent demand for this material and wondered how much this might reduce the costs. Am currently still awaiting a response to this.

Longshanks

Reply as follows:

Thanks for your letter which has been passed to me to answer.

I'm afraid that we can't supply one-off copies of whole series.

However, it would be possible to produce a DVD copy of a couple of episodes for private and personal use. The price would be �99.00 per 30-minute programme subject to the archive materials being available on tape format as opposed to film reel.

Please let me know if you'd like to proceed and if you have a preference for any particular episode(s).

Regards

Robin Bray

Programme Copy Sales

ITV plc

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Longshanks']As promised here is the response from ITV (Yorkshire) in response to my request for DVDs. I have sent a follow up questioning the cost which is obviously just to put people off. However, I have also mentioned this board as an example of much latent demand for this material and wondered how much this might reduce the costs. Am currently still awaiting a response to this.

Longshanks

That cost sounds par for the course - if you request a single copy from any broadcaster they will want to charge a commercial price...and this is exactly what broadcasters charge each other. The series may well be on a legacy format, or require Telecine. This is expensive. Clearly they don't want to release all of them to the mercy of eBay duplicators which is understandable.

Bulk ordering from a special interest group won't reduce the cost from them. The only way it would become "reasonable" would be if it was properly mastered and then bulk DVD replicated.. then it would be at a normal DVD price.

The only other way would be for interested posters to syndicate the price of the initial 2 episodes.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks

I assume "legacy format" is a euphemism for the material being on film reel?

It just seems that the industry is slow to respond to clear demand and they then hold a gun to our head in this way.

Why are they so shortsighted?

How many folk would buy at this price?

Longshanks

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Longshanks']Thanks

I assume "legacy format" is a euphemism for the material being on film reel?

It just seems that the industry is slow to respond to clear demand and they then hold a gun to our head in this way.

Why are they so shortsighted?

How many folk would buy at this price?

Longshanks

Legacy formats means the tape based format on which the master is held (if it isn't on film). If it was from the 1970's chances are it resides on 1 inch reel video tape, or maybe even 2 inch quad. If they were efficient they may have done a more recent transfer to another more uptodate format such as BetaSP or a digital format..but they are now legacy formats too. All these will probably be held at a third party warehouse..and may have deteriated in the meantime.

I heard a tale recently of some the BBc's video tapes held on Umatic BVU tapes in a third party repository. They were stored on a mezanine floor on shelves (in the correct way). Under the floor was the degaussing bench used for wiping old tape stock..a huge electro magnet. They have only just discovered that the BBC tapes are now unreadable.... muppets.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again

Very disappointing indeed.

L

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    I am also looking for series 1 of The Flaxton Boys I have episode 1 & 9 but really want the remainder of series 1

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Season one released July 20th 2015 at last! Network DVD

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    So what exists of this series ?

I'd also like to see a release of the early B&W "Freewheelers"

& anyone remember "Grasshopper Island" ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12