Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hill (1965)

Liked
    0 times
    Nice to see the term used correctly HG. I refer to your use of the words "Courts Marshall", and not as we often hear "Court Marshall".

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Kelp. Some of us have got 'our knees brown' in the past. For the civvies reading this - that is not a sexual position for soldiers, at least it wasn't in my day.

Regards,

HG

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Court-martial is the singular, either courts-martial or court-martials are correct as the plural

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniors Farm
    A bit harsh there surely, we also had

The Molly Maguires

Zardoz (and don't anyone try and tell me this isn't brilliant)

Outland
    Director John Boorman would be the first to tell you that Zardoz is very pretentious and has too many ideas going on for it to work properly. He says as much on the DVD commentary and Connery got paid a pittance for his role, so it couldn't have been the pay check that persuaded him to dress in the ridiculous costume! I think its an interesting effort from Boorman but I would never call it brilliant myself even though Im a big fan of Boorman and Connery as an actor.On a trivia note, Connery negotiated an allowance for a car and driver to take him to the set each day but drove himself and used his own car and pocketed the allowance to supplement his low pay! (though some will say he was simply being true to type i.e. A "tight wad" Scot!)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this again, I think I did Roy Kinnear a major disservice not mentioning him - he played a very devious and amusing petty thief character superbly and managed to display a certain ugliness too. Also Alfred Lynch as the wretched soul Stevens did well with a small part.

Here's something I picked up on from another site:

In the shower scene Sean Connery jokingly chides a fellow prisoner:

"Don't touch that one, it turns on the gas".

At the time the film was set (1942) - Was there was still no official acceptance that concentration camp victims were being systematically gassed with Zyklon B whilst ostensibly being given a shower.

Simon

Liked
    0 times
    I think you will find that the general public had no idea. The authorities did it now seems. However, gas vans, namely lorries with sealed rear bodies and exhausts connected thereinto had been used for some time to euthanase gypsies, mentally retarded patients, etc. and also concentration camp prisoners. This may have been common knowledge: I shall ask my parents! I initially thought that 'Roberts'' comment was in fact an anachronism, and a dialogue inserted that was a year or so too early but it may not have been, if the setting was late 1942. The comment may have been interpreted as relating to gas lamps that often looked like 'showers' which were actuated by a wheel on the wall. I would err though on the side of it being a 'blooper' just as you sometimes hear music being played in films that had not been written let alone been recorded at the time.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Man
    At the time the film was set (1942) - Was there was still no official acceptance that concentration camp victims were being systematically gassed with Zyklon B whilst ostensibly being given a shower.

Simon
    The Wannsee Conference, where the "final solution" was proposed, was only in January 1942. Before that, there were some other attempts at mass killings in the concentration camps like the vans that Automotivehistorian mentions. But they weren't very successful and the Zyklon B program didn't start until later in 1942. Before then, concentration camps were mainly just intensive work camps - although people were often worked to death, tortured or sometimes shot out of hand. They still weren't nice places to be sent. But in the early years of the Nazi party, concentration camps were really just punishment and re-education camps. A lot of people served their time there and were then released!

Even camps like Dachau and Belsen were primarily labour camps, although people were often worked to death or died through disease and malnutrition. It was only the camps at Auschwitz II (Auschwitz-Birkenau), Chełmno, Bełżec, Majdanek, Sobib�r and Treblinka that were really death camps where the vast majority of people sent there were very quickly killed.

See Pastor Hall (1940) for an example of the early use of and depiction of concentration camps and the early years of the Nazi party. But even then, the way the camps were used was so unusual that Eleanor Roosevelt had to do an introduction to the US release to explain that it really was a true story. But it was still banned in some areas of the States, often those with a high proportion of German families.

The Boulting Brothers wanted to make Pastor Hall in the late 1930s but were prevented from doing so in case it upset Chamberlain's attempts to make peace with Hitler! They put it into production as soon as war was declared.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    There were of course shootings, which is so obvious that I had forgotten!

Early gas vans were literally driven around with victims in the back, although later fixed vans were used which sometimes just produced gas (CO and CO2) which was then piped into rooms.

In my opinion, after consideration, the comment in the film was 'misplaced in time'. There has been considerable discussion in recent times about to what extent the allies knew of extermination camps, and why they were not bombed. I just cannot see that squaddies out in North Africa, relying on newsreels from travelling cinemas and I suppose the radio, would have any knowledge of the death camps. In many respects it was after the war was over and the newsreel cameras went into the camps after liberation was it made clear what had happened. However, the Germans quickly publicised the Katyn massacre of Polish officers by the Soviets when they overran the area.

Liked
    0 times
    Ah thanks both of you - I was a bit confused especially since Heydrich the architect of The Final Solution was assainated in mid 1942.

So it's either a blooper by the script writer otherwise it's certainly a bit of dark humour.

I suppose next question would be where do I get a copy of Pastor Hall (1940) - better nip over to the wanted section.

Simon

Liked
    144 times
    Is "The Hill" a worshiped film in Great Britain ??

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    It's strongly admired by those that are aware of this Film, it's shown on TV now and again but it's not overtly well known.......

Moonfleet, may I ask is Edith Scob a famous Movie Star in France?

I strongly admire 'La yeux sans visage', and I note Edith is still acting after several decades....

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O
    It's strongly admired by those that are aware of this Film, it's shown on TV now and again but it's not overtly well known.......

Moonfleet, may I ask is Edith Scob a famous Movie Star in France?

I strongly admire 'La yeux sans visage', and I note Edith is still acting after several decades....
    I don't know very much about her, sorry, but I heard she made a come-back...

Moon.

Liked
    0 times
    The Hill [1965, Sean Connery]

Gripping from start to finish. Is there a better example of the genre? Ice Cold in Alex, maybe?. But for me, :The Hill was quite brilliant.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Top shelf stuff for sure and perhaps Sean at his non Bond best.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley
    Top shelf stuff for sure and perhaps Sean at his non Bond best.
    Agreed .... I rate this and The Offence as Connery's best non-Bond performances.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Agreed .... I rate this and The Offence as Connery's best non-Bond performances.
    Both directed by Sidney Lumet, of course. They made quite a team.

Bizarrely the Wiki site for Lumet used not to even mention Connery at all! A bit like the Charles Bronson site which didn't mention Michael Winner!

Liked
    8 times
    As an extra in the prison scene on "The Hill" at MGM Boreham Wood, we all gave Harry Andrews a good clap and a cheer, he was brilliant.

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME
    Both directed by Sidney Lumet, of course. They made quite a team.

Bizarrely the Wiki site for Lumet used not to even mention Connery at all! A bit like the Charles Bronson site which didn't mention Michael Winner!
    And both co-starring the excellent Ian Bannen, who is great in both pictures.

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim
    As an extra in the prison scene on "The Hill" at MGM Boreham Wood, we all gave Harry Andrews a good clap and a cheer, he was brilliant.
    Quite right - Harry Andrews was an excellent actor, not least in this - a man in complete control of the camp, able to switch in an instant from almost playful banter with the men to the fantastically menacing 'Every Fifth Man !!!'

So many small instances in this remarkable film - when Harry Andrews in an early scene enters his room and changes into a fresh uniform, you can sense his pleasure in the feel of it, and almost feel the stiffness of the starched material.

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donna
    IM afraid I look for happy endings and when i saw this film , I left the cinema uneasy . maybe I like sugar coated films more.
    Funny, this reminds me of when my brother - who was in the TA at the time, so thought he was a 'real bloke' as opposed to my pansy office worker - mentioned that 'The Hill' was on tv that night - 'but you won't like it'.

I'd seen the picture several times already and, while it isn't much fun, it's pretty bloody powerful stuff, and I can't think of a dud performance from anybody in it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast