Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Watched this lovely old film this afternoon on television and was sure I spotted Liz Fraser in a non speaking role playing one of a group of girls who rush into the theatre and sit down.

She is not credited on IMDB but I'm sure it was her. Can anybody back me up? Does anybody else recall seeing her in that little scene?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    (cully @ Feb 1 2006, 06:48 PM)

Watched this lovely old film this afternoon on television and was sure I spotted Liz Fraser in a non speaking role playing one of a group of girls who rush into the theatre and sit down.

She is not credited on IMDB but I'm sure it was her. Can anybody back me up? Does anybody else recall seeing her in that little scene?
    I watched it,but I must admit I never saw her - and as I think she is one of the sexiest actresses we've ever produced,I think I would have noticed her. However,I could be wrong about her not being in the film. Agreed,a lovely little film and with such a cast,it couldn't fail

Ta Ta

Marky B

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    From memory I have a hazy recollection of LF being in it as well ; will have to dig it out and look again.

EDIT : Just checked - if you have the DVD it's 43mins 30secs in. Virginia McKenna & Bill Travers are watching the film from the back of the auditorium, when three young couples burst in partway through. The third young lady, wearing a hooped vest top, sits underneath VMcK - she indeed looks very like the young LF....

As this (1957) is around the time of a few other uncredited parts, I'd say you were spot on, Cully

SMUDGE

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (cully @ Feb 1 2006, 06:48 PM

It's always a bit risky thinking you've spotted someone in that sort of situation. Especially if they're not on screen for long, don't speak and were a lot younger than they were when they became really famous. It's very easy to make a mistake when you see someone else and think they're the more famous person.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that it's risky.

It would actually have been better to ask if anyone recognised one of the gir;s in that scene and then describe the scene. Now you've planted the idea that it's Liz and anyone watching it might be biassed by that idea.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I fell asleep after 15 mins and ended up missing the whole film, so don't ask me

Liked
    11 times
    Well, I belong to a club Liz also belongs to and see her occasionally but have never had the courage to say hello.

However, I now have TWO valid excuses for chatting her up. This query as well as asking her the identity of one of the girls with her in the strip club scene in Doctor in Love!!

Thanks, Smudge..but I guess Steve has a point...I may have developed a LF fixation and may be seeing her everywhere!

Liked
    0 times
    Have you tried the zoom button on your DVD player remote? Sometimes it sends them right out of frame but might be worth a shot.

I haven't seen that movie in more years than I care to remember. Used to be obviously and cozy feeling (not American backed international thingies) British movies were shown almost non-stop on American television. I'm speaking of older movies--1930s to 1960s.

Liked
    0 times
    (nellybly @ Feb 2 2006, 03:47 PM)

Have you tried the zoom button on your DVD player remote? Sometimes it sends them right out of frame but might be worth a shot.
    Did you know by using the arrow keys on your remote when you zoom in you can avoid anything "going out of frame"

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello Cully

I recorded the film yesterday and watched it last night. I thought I saw Liz Fraser too, so I checked in my copy of "Quinlan's Character Stars" to see if she appeared in the film. Indeed, she did make a tiny appearance, although at that time she was known by her full name Elizabeth Fraser. I rewound the tape several times, but her name wasn't listed in the credits. Probably the part was just too small.

Apparently, she also made an appearance in the 1955 film "Touch and Go" under another name, that of Elizabeth Winch.

Finally, I really enjoyed the film and just savoured the cast. If only Margaret Rutherford was the box office attendant at my local cinema!!

Regards

Phil Turner

Liked
    0 times
    (arty-dave @ Feb 2 2006, 10:53 AM)

Did you know by using the arrow keys on your remote when you zoom in you can avoid anything "going out of frame"
    I didn't know that (I just got my DVD player for Christmas). Thanks! :)

Liked
    11 times
    (Phil Turner @ Feb 2 2006, 04:22 PM)

I recorded the film yesterday and watched it last night. I thought I saw Liz Fraser too, so I checked in my copy of "Quinlan's Character Stars" to see if she appeared in the film. Indeed, she did make a tiny appearance, although at that time she was known by her full name Elizabeth Fraser. I rewound the tape several times, but her name wasn't listed in the credits. Probably the part was just too small.

Apparently, she also made an appearance in the 1955 film "Touch and Go" under another name, that of Elizabeth Winch.

Finally, I really enjoyed the film and just savoured the cast. If only Margaret Rutherford was the box office attendant at my local cinema!!

Regards

Phil Turner
    Hooray, I WAS right after all!

Thanks, Phil

Cully

Liked
    0 times
    (cully @ Feb 1 2006, 03:50 PM)

Well, I belong to a club Liz also belongs to and see her occasionally but have never had the courage to say hello.

However, I now have TWO valid excuses for chatting her up. This query as well as asking her the identity of one of the girls with her in the strip club scene in Doctor in Love!!

Thanks, Smudge..but I guess Steve has a point...I may have developed a LF fixation and may be seeing her everywhere!
    I'm pretty sure her mum had an off license in Commerce Road Wood Green in the 60s.

I was a barrow boy in Wood Green High Rd when I was a kid. She used to drive a little sports car, and she was doing a three point turn while I was pushing a trolley full of apples, when she backed into me knocking everything all over the place. She just gave me a lovely little sexy smile and a wave and drove off.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    (Phil Turner @ Feb 2 2006, 04:22 PM)

Hello Cully

Regards

Phil Turner
    I once resisted the temptation to buy that Quinlan book and have not seen it on sale since. Never put things off... !

Liked
    0 times
    (alan gowdy @ Feb 19 2006, 11:16 AM)

I once resisted the temptation to buy that Quinlan book and have not seen it on sale since. Never put things off... !
    I did the same thing with Dead of Night with the same result.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    (alan gowdy @ Feb 19 2006, 04:16 PM)

Hello Alan,

If you are interested, I purchased my copy of "Quinlan's Character Stars" from Ottakars bookstore just before Christmas. The new version was updated in 2005.

The purchase price was £19.99, although I got a £2 reduction because when the price tag was removed it left a big sticky mark right in the middle of the book, and mine was the last copy!! On a trivial note, could anyone inform me why price tags on books, CDs and DVDs are always put in the most inconvenient place, and are virtually impossible to peel off without making a complete mess?!

Liked
    0 times
    (cully @ Feb 1 2006, 06:48 PM)

Going slightly off topic,,,,,,,does anybody remember a similar film about a couple taking charge

of a failing pub? Possibly with the fire breathing Peggy Mount as the better half.

I only remember one scene,,,,,,where they stage a traffic jam outside the pub to

try to gain some extra business.

regards piroflip

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (piroflip2 @ Feb 20 2006, 08:34 AM)

Going slightly off topic,,,,,,,does anybody remember a similar film about a couple taking charge

of a failing pub? Possibly with the fire breathing Peggy Mount as the better half.

I only remember one scene,,,,,,where they stage a traffic jam outside the pub to

try to gain some extra business.

regards piroflip
    Inn for Trouble (1960) ?

Starring Peggy Mount & David Kossoff

IMDb Plot Summary: After twenty-five years working at Belcher's Brewery, Alf Larkin is given a pub to manage. But the Earl Osbourne is in trouble, mostly because the Earl himself has by tradition to give his own very quaffable beer away free once a quarter. The Larkins come up with various tricks to gain custom, not realising a proposed new road means the place could soon become a goldmine anyway.

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    The Welsh-language film Coming Up Roses covers similar territory. (in fact, I think the cinema used during filming was renovated)

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    (Steve Crook @ Feb 20 2006, 09:28 AM)

Inn for Trouble (1960) ?

Starring Peggy Mount & David Kossoff

IMDb Plot Summary: After twenty-five years working at Belcher's Brewery, Alf Larkin is given a pub to manage. But the Earl Osbourne is in trouble, mostly because the Earl himself has by tradition to give his own very quaffable beer away free once a quarter. The Larkins come up with various tricks to gain custom, not realising a proposed new road means the place could soon become a goldmine anyway.

Steve
    It's been on Movies4Men a few times recently and is next due an airing at 19.15, Thursday 03/03/06

Peggy Mount was born in Southend and still lived there when I was there - she lived near a friend of mine and I recall seeing her a couple of times. Kept well clear with her battleaxe reputation!

FELL

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    A very nice, charming, relaxing film. How many times will you find Margaret Rutherford and Peter Sellers in supporting character roles together?

It's low-key and gentle: the sort of film they wouldn't (and couldn't) make anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast